PDA

View Full Version : Hiccups?

ramanth
03-04-2004, 03:11 PM
Work has been so hectic that I can't believe that I forgot to ask.

Twice now in the past, Kia has had what I would imagine are hiccups. I did a search and all I could find on dogs and hiccups were that puppies that ate or drank too fast would get them. Okay, that makes sense, but both times Kia had these 'hiccups' she was just laying around and hadn't had anything to eat or drink for hours.

The first time was when I was at Andy's. I was on the computer, he was watching TV and Kia was just laying there. Andy got my attention and pointed at Kia. Her body was giving tiny convulsions and a soft sound much like a hiccup. I made her sit and she just sat there ever 10 or 15 seconds giving a soft hic sound (though her mouth was shut) and her body would move forward a little. She didn't seem in distress so I just dismissed it as hiccups. I'd say in all it lasted about 3 minutes.

The second time, Kia was curled up on the couch with me. She had not had her dinner yet or had any water for over an hour.

I thought she was dreaming but it was the same thing. :\

Could this be a mini seizure or are they just wierd hiccups? Both times she was awake and alert and showed no other symptoms.

:confused:

My Peanuts
03-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Sylvia gets hiccups every now and then even when she is not eating or drinking. However, I was sure that she had hiccups. If you are not sure I would take Kia to the vet to make she it isn't something else. Or maybe just a call to the nurses at your vet would ease your mind.

DogLover9501
03-04-2004, 03:22 PM
I think fast hiccups makes it look like convultions, Jasper has hiccups alot, as hes a puppy, atleast everyday, and sometimes they are hard and fast and I think I know exactly what you mean, it looks very weird!

K9soul
03-04-2004, 03:24 PM
I am pretty sure my two have had hiccups before, I know what you are describing sounds like what they were doing, but I can't recall if they had been drinking or playing before they got them or not. I know they don't seem to get them very often..

but another thing they do that has alarmed me is like.. suddenly sucking in their breath and then letting it back out, and they do it for a couple mins and I'm not sure why.. but I don't think those hare hiccups. I remember the collies doing it on occasion too though and wonder if maybe they just had some irritation in their nose or throat.

Maybe at least call your vet's office, and describe to them what you have seen and ask if they think she should be checked out? It's so unnerving when little things go on with our dogs and we have no way to know exactly what's going on.

lv4dogs
03-04-2004, 03:25 PM
my dogs get the hic-ups too, not too often a few times a year or so, they sound just like hic-ups so im sure they were. It is not as common in dogs than it is in humans but it is really common in puppies maybe thats why they said that?

Cinder & Smoke
03-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by ramanth

... Kia has had what I would imagine are hiccups.

Could this be a mini seizure
or are they just wierd hiccups?

Both times she was awake and alert and
showed no other symptoms.
:confused:

I'm sure they are the Doggie equivilant of Hiccups! ;)

EVERY Dog I've owned (and a few I DIDN'T own) -
have "suffered" from :eek: Hiccups.

And many has been the time they just started up with
little or no provocation!

Both Cinder and Smokey have been just Layin There - Chillin
when they just :eek: start!

Cinder always looks :( worried -
like OMG - What's HAPPnin??

Smokey looks like he thinks he's done something *wrong*...
"HIC!" ... ears down, looks at the floor...
"HIC!" ... OMG - Sorrie, Dad...
"HIC!" ... <turns away> - TRYin to stop, Dad...
"HIC!" ... <gets up, rests head on my lap>
"HIC!" ... <eyes up, eyes down, ears twitch>
"hic" ... "hic" ... "hic" ... "hic" ...
"I'z stoppin, Dad, I'z stoppin" ... :p

I *TRY* not to laugh...

Seizures?? No - it's just HICcups!!

:D

"HIC!"

ramanth
03-04-2004, 03:50 PM
Thanks Phred! :D

(So odd that they can just start out of no where...)

Cinder & Smoke
03-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by ramanth

(So odd that they can just start out of no where...)

:D

SmokeMutt got the HICcups one :eek: NIGHT -

*SOUND* Asleep -
curled up *spooning* beside me -
*under* the covers -
with my arm draped over him!! :p

I woke up to ~
*HIC*!
*HIC* ... *hic* ... hic ... hic

And I swear he was *SOUND Asleep* the whole time!!

I gave him a gentle *shake* -
so he rolled over and stuck his nose in my face...
went Back to Sleep :rolleyes: ...
and continued to *HIC* HIC hic for another 5 minutes!

DAWGZ! ~ Gotta Luv em! ;)

jenfer
03-04-2004, 05:38 PM
Gigi has Hiccups, so does Chilli. :D I think they look cute when they have hiccups. :D

anna_66
03-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Neither Angus or Huney gets them (that I've noticed) but Roxey has had them.

Poor little Kia girl...go get some water sweetie:D

micki76
03-04-2004, 09:53 PM
I've never seen Aneko have them, but Chester gets them every once in a while. Millie gets them at least once a month and for no particular reason. She can be sleeping and they'll start and it wakes her. She just looks at me accusingly like "What did you do to me? Thanks a lot!". :D

Sounds like Kia's getting hiccups to me, too.

lovemyshiba
03-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Kito gets those often too.
I was worried at first too, but now I laugh at him:o

He looks so mad when I laugh at him too--poor baby--hiccups are no fun!!