PDA

View Full Version : Cable-holic

aguu
03-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Mishka has an obsession with cables – he loves to chew and pull on them.
This is a huge source of stress for me because of course I fear he will get himself electrocuted one day. The moment he sees something plugged into the wall he will run over and start chomping. I come home every day to find almost everything un-plugged.
We just moved and now he has better access to my TV/Stereo cables and its just heaven for him because there are so many – he LIVES behind the entertainment unit. I have no way of blocking this off to him.
This morning I was really late for work because he unplugged my alarm clock.
I have tried spraying all the cables in the house with various deterrents to no avail. The more I tell him no and pull him away – the more determined and stubborn he becomes to get to it.
What on earth do I do about this?
Suggestions PLEASE!!!!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p738fcfa11a043b1bc6af0d5ce1b88df7/fb50a466.jpg meomie won't stay mad at for very long - just look at how cute and innocent I am! (and blurry - sorry about that!)

Randi
03-04-2004, 08:53 AM
Oh dear! No wonder you get stressed about that!! :eek: Could you perhaps clip all your cables along the skirting board on the wall and then put thick tape on top? It'll also be easier to clean the floor. ;) I really hope you find a solution so that poor Mishka doesn't get electrocuted!!

mruffruff
03-04-2004, 09:26 AM
Maybe run the cables thru a piece of plastic pipe before plugging them in. At least there would be less to chew on.

Mary

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-04-2004, 09:52 AM
I had the same idea as mruffruff. There is this stuff I've seen in a catalog that you wrap around cords to keep them together so they don't look so messy. I'll see if I can find it on the internet and give you a link.

aguu
03-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Thanks everyone!
Let me just clarify one thing - the part that Mishka is MOST interested in is the actual PLUG more so than the cable - hence the constant un-plugging. How do I cover that??

lotsocats
03-04-2004, 12:49 PM
Buy the socket covers that are made to keep human infants from sticking their fingers into the plugs.

aguu
03-04-2004, 01:18 PM
I mean the plug at the end of the cable – the part to goes into the wall socket – is there a something I can buy to cover that??

Mkitty
03-14-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm so sorry! I'll check in my next issue of Cats & Kittens for something. If I don't find anything, I'll ask the Catnip article what to do. For now, try and find something else that Mishka would like to play with. Maybe she'll be distracted from the plugs.:)

Mkitty
03-14-2004, 11:52 AM
GOOD NEWS! I just found out from a friend. There are these outlet covers that covers the outlet as well as the whole plug. You could probably find it in a store for babies because it is for babies that do the same sort of thing that Mishka is doing. Hope this helps! :D

ChrisH
03-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Found the type of thing that Mkitty wrote about on this site.

http://www.babyproofingplus.com/item27.htm

Hope it works! :)

Karen
03-14-2004, 01:37 PM
It's sounding like Mishka's part rabbit! In places we cannot hide or eliminate the pugs, we have cut a length of black tubing that we got from home depot to cover bother the plug and the cable up to the point where a certain bunny cannot reach it. Paper-towel tubes also are big enough for both plug and cord, when aesthetics aren't at issue.

Mkitty
03-14-2004, 01:40 PM
That is a good suggestion Karen! I hope it helps Mishka and aguu! :p

aguu
03-15-2004, 07:32 AM
Thanks for your suggestions everyone!! I will try the baby store today! Mishka has plenty of toys to play with - he is a very spoiled boy! I think he does that cable thing for attention as he usually does that around 5 in the morning - a sure way to get me up and away from that plug!

Mkitty
03-15-2004, 09:58 AM
GOOD LUCK!;)