PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a hair dryer on your dog?

micki76
03-03-2004, 09:12 PM
I want to buy a dryer for the kids, but I’m not sure which one I want. I know I want one of the Metro Air Force dryers, but I’m confused about which one to get. I want one that will just blow the water off of them as fast as possible. I obviously don’t wanna buy more dryer than I need, but I want one powerful enough so that I don’t regret not getting the “right” one in the first place. I’ve seen a lot of different models and I’m lost as to what I need to get. :( :confused:

Anyone have one of these? Any suggestions on which model to get? Should I look for high amps, high CFM (whatever that is), or high FPM (again, whatever that means), or are these things not hat important? *scratches head in confusion*

Amy, do you use any of these at work? Anyone else use one?

Any info is appreciated! :)

Moose
03-03-2004, 09:13 PM
I just use a regular hair dryer. For us and what we use it for, it works great. :) Just a thought. :D

micki76
03-03-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Moose
I just use a regular hair dryer. For us and what we use it for, it works great. :) Just a thought. :D

That's what we do now, but it takes forever with three, especially when one is a furry shih tzu!

I want a faster way to get all three done at once, so bath time can be done and over with. We'd also like to be able to bathe them at anytime, like tonight and get it over with fast. :)

wolfie
03-03-2004, 09:52 PM
*has a mental image of Daphne being becoming a big fluffy poof after being dried* LOL ^_^ I just towel dry Daphne. :p But I suppose that for a long haired dog it would be useful. We bring Cocoa to the groomer's though, and she has a bath and cut there.

Kfamr
03-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Simba is terrified of the blow dryer. Whenever my mom uses it he runs. I don't think Nala's ever come near one or heard it, but i'm sure she'd be afraid as well.

Fox-Gal
03-04-2004, 02:09 AM
I also use a regular hair dryer on those of mine that let me. :rolleyes: So I'm not much help there for you, but i'd make sure it's as quiet as you can get, if your guys are anything like mine. :eek:

FizzGiggs_Mommy
03-04-2004, 06:58 AM
Being a mommy to a Bichon Frise I HAVE to use a blow drier.
I use a table top drier that my groomer told me about. Since it is a tabletop I have both of my hands to work with to get him really fluffy.

The hottest temp mine gets is about 80 degrees which is perfect. It usually takes me way over a hour to dry my Bichon. You must remember to dry cool and slow if not there is a posibility that you could do damage to there fur and even burn them.

As for my Pug and Boxer the blow drier is a huge Monster that they hide from. If I even point it there way they are GONE!

Here he is on Christmas Day all puffy from the grooming the day before

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid105/pf4c052342c4123105b564cf526fafdbd/f97222e0.jpg

anna_66
03-04-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm glad you've brought this up. I've also been wanting one, but I'm not sure which one to get (there's so many different ones).
I really need one to blow Roxey's coat out so I need a pretty strong one.
Have any suggestions for me as well?

primabella
03-04-2004, 08:20 AM
We also use a regular hair dryer on Mickey. He loves getting warm air blowed on him. Whenever we vacuum, he stands in the back where the hot air comes out. :p

Good luck. :)

DoggiesAreTheBest
03-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Drake used to be terrified of the blow dryer, even if it was turned off!! Silly boy! :rolleyes:

He has become more patient though since we got to Germany. After I bathe him, I towel dry him very well. Then I blow dry him till he is completely dry. Drake is a big dog with lots of fur and he is dry all the way in 15 minutes with my regular blow dryer.

Can't give you any advice on what kind of dryer to get. Sorry!

ramanth
03-04-2004, 10:36 AM
I don't own a hair dryer so on average, I just towel dry Kia. If at my parents, they'll sometimes use a hair dryer on her (especially if the bath is during the winter), but Kia doesn't really seem to like it.

The rare times I let a PetCo groomer do it, they say she behaves real nice when being dryed. Go figure. :rolleyes: :D

wolf_Q
03-04-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure which ones we have at work, I'll have to check. They do make some hand held ones similar to a human hair dryer (with more power of course) that may work. I haven't tried them myself, but I've considered buying one. Check out Ryans Pet Supplies and Pet Edge, both have online websites.

If I ever stop working in grooming, I'll definitely buy one, they are a must for me having a husky! I've just washed him off at home (mud and stuff, not an actual bath) and he takes FOREVER to dry without the forced air dryer!

Amber
03-04-2004, 04:00 PM
I use a hair dryer on Katie, I use in on low so its not hot. I use the kind for humans. hehehe

CamCamPup33
03-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Simba is terrified of the blow dryer. Whenever my mom uses it he runs. I don't think Nala's ever come near one or heard it, but i'm sure she'd be afraid as well.

Cami as well..

micki76
03-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Thanks, Amy! :)