PDA

View Full Version : Was I being to protective of Cali?

Fox-Gal
03-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Cali went into heat a couple of days ago, driving us nuts with the meowing, but she already had an appointment with the vet today to get "fixed". Nothing like timing!

Well when I took her in, my vet wasn't there, his son-in-law was though. He going to be taking over after my vet retires. Now first let me say I can't stand this man and when my vet leave, I will be looking for a new vet.

So when I got there i was a little upset that they didn't tell me Dr. Anderson wasn't going to be in, they know I only use him. Then they tell me that because Cali's in heat that she might bleed more after the op. So I left! One because I don't like this man and two because of the extra bleeding.

Was I being silly about the whole thing? Does it matter that Cali might bleed a little more? None of my other cats were in heat when they had it done, so I don't know. Just because I don't like they man was it out of line to leave and wait for my vet?

The husband says I'm nuts and i should have left her there. Plus he says I was rude to him by my actions. I'm now feeling guilty about the whole thing.

kitten645
03-03-2004, 07:54 PM
There is NO WAY you were being overprotective or rude. Never second guess a meowmies instinct. Health care for you babies is your responsibility and don't let anyone guilt you into feeling bad for what you felt in your gut was right. You can take chances on the lottery but not with your furbabies care. Rock on meowmie!
Claudia

sirrahbed
03-03-2004, 08:01 PM
I think you did the right thing. I always go with my "gut" when it comes to my babies' care. I do not think you were being overprotective at all - just being a good meowmie like kitten645 said. :)

davidpizzica
03-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal
Cali went into heat a couple of days ago, driving us nuts with the meowing, but she already had an appointment with the vet today to get "fixed". Nothing like timing!

Well when I took her in, my vet wasn't there, his son-in-law was though. He going to be taking over after my vet retires. Now first let me say I can't stand this man and when my vet leave, I will be looking for a new vet.

So when I got there i was a little upset that they didn't tell me Dr. Anderson wasn't going to be in, they know I only use him. Then they tell me that because Cali's in heat that she might bleed more after the op. So I left! One because I don't like this man and two because of the extra bleeding.

Was I being silly about the whole thing? Does it matter that Cali might bleed a little more? None of my other cats were in heat when they had it done, so I don't know. Just because I don't like they man was it out of line to leave and wait for my vet?

The husband says I'm nuts and i should have left her there. Plus he says I was rude to him by my actions. I'm now feeling guilty about the whole thing. No you were not. You were looking out for Cali's welfare. I would have done the same thing.

Nomilynn
03-03-2004, 08:37 PM
I don't think you were rude at all. Even if the doc has asked why you left, you could have just said - I don't even know you, why would I let you operate on my cat? I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-03-2004, 09:04 PM
I think you did the right thing too. YOU have to feel comfortable with what you're doing and if you don't feel comfortable you have every right to take your baby and either go elsewhere or wait until your doctor is available.

rg_girlca
03-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Don't even second guess your actions. You did the right thing. I remember when I had taken in a stray female cat who went into heat 2 days after I got her. But she seemed to continue being in heat. I brought her to the vet and upon x-rays, examinations, etc., they found a cyst on her ovary and that is why she was having, what they called a continuing heat. They said that they will spay her but there was a chance she would hemorrage. I had no choice but to go with the surgery. Fortunately she came out fine and I kept my sanity.
You can book another appointment with your vet when she comes out of her heat. I would have done the same thing. So good for you, for standing your ground and doing what was best for your Cali.

CatDad
03-03-2004, 09:14 PM
I don't think that you did anything wrong. This is one of your babies and you need to feel comfortable if you are going to leave her for surgery. I would have done the same thing.

Make an appointment with the vet that you like and by then she will not be in heat anymore.

I would also start looking for another vet now as it may take a couple of tries to get one you like.

trayi52
03-03-2004, 09:29 PM
It always pays to listen to that little inner voice that tells you if what you are doing is right or wrong. It usually pays to listen.

Just think how worried you would have been about Cali, if you hadn't of done what you did. Scarey! You done the right thing.

Willie

Tonya
03-03-2004, 09:38 PM
I don't think you were being overly protective. You were uncomfortable, and you trusted your instincts.

Fox-Gal
03-04-2004, 01:46 AM
Thanks everyone. I thought I was doing the right thing but after I got home and heard what he had to say I did start to wonder.

He seem to feel walking out was rude and I should trust Dr. Anderson's choice in his son-in-law and that if he told me Cali would be fine for the op. even if she was in heat, I should have gotton it over with.

Wait till I tell him, I'm not the only one who thinks I made a good choise. :D ;) LOL

Of course tonight, there's that little part of me that wishs I had. It's 3am and I'm up with a meowing kitty. She only happy when I with her, if not she sits at the window moewing and meowing, VERY loud! Poor baby doesn't know what to think or do with these new feelings.

trayi52
03-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Fox-gal, this is just too funny to say but I will tell you anyway. Back years ago, I had a cat that was in heat like that. The phamacist told me how to trick her into thinking she had been bred. Just do to her neck like a tom would do.

The funny thing was that one of my grandkids fell on the cat, and that satisfied the cat. That darn cat went right out of heat. Got that little girl spayed after that. But anyway find a child and let it fall on the cat. LOL! True story! ;)

But don't listen to me, I have been known to say some pretty weird and crazy things! But then what do you expect? I'm Willie!

Willie

catcrazylady
03-04-2004, 06:01 AM
I think that with a doubt you did the right thing! Even if you did like the vet the extra bleeding thing was enough to postpone the surgery. If you hadn't followed your gut it's possible that we could have had a scary health thread today. It's much better this way!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
Good luck getting through the noisy miserable heat!!

catmandu
03-04-2004, 09:25 AM
There is a fine line between cautin and nosiness ,, and it a tough one , for a new Cat mother! Prayers are coming from All Of US!

catnapper
03-04-2004, 09:41 AM
No, I would have done the same thing. There are two doctors in my vet's office. I love the famale vet, and absolutely hate the male vet. One time, Nicki was very sick and he was the only doctor in and I reluctantly took Nicki. She's had the same infection before, so I knew the meds to give her - he refused to give her Clavamox. I ended up returning a few days later, paying for a visit with the female doctor who readily gave Nicki the Clavamox.

I think its a matter of "intuition" of not leaving Cali. If you strongly felt that this was not the time or doctor to leave her with, then you are 100% right. Never ever discount those strong intuitional feelings:)

Fox-Gal
03-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by catnapper
No, I would have done the same thing. There are two doctors in my vet's office. I love the famale vet, and absolutely hate the male vet. One time, Nicki was very sick and he was the only doctor in and I reluctantly took Nicki. She's had the same infection before, so I knew the meds to give her - he refused to give her Clavamox. I ended up returning a few days later, paying for a visit with the female doctor who readily gave Nicki the Clavamox.

Almost the same reason I dislike this man, only it was for my Boxer. She has cancer and he wanted to treat her for HP. :confused: He didn't even take the time to read her records. Two days later I was back seeing my vet getting the right meds.
Then just a couple weeks ago I had to take Brock in, he had a fever of 104, out of the blue. This Vet had the nerve to make me feel like a bad mommy because I let him get so sick, didn't want to belive me when I told him that just the day before he was fine. But of course he had no answer to what was wrong with Brock, just sent me home with meds. still wondering why Brock got sick.

Fox-Gal
03-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by trayi52
Fox-gal, this is just too funny to say but I will tell you anyway. Back years ago, I had a cat that was in heat like that. The phamacist told me how to trick her into thinking she had been bred. Just do to her neck like a tom would do.

The funny thing was that one of my grandkids fell on the cat, and that satisfied the cat. That darn cat went right out of heat. Got that little girl spayed after that. But anyway find a child and let it fall on the cat. LOL! True story! ;)

But don't listen to me, I have been known to say some pretty weird and crazy things! But then what do you expect? I'm Willie!

Willie

LOL to funny.

Just the other night Paul was petting Cali and of course she raised her back up as they do. It was so funny she started going around in circles on the floor tring to get her hind end more towards him. I wish I had taped it, she move around towards him, he move away, etc etc. They went in circles for a min. LOL Then he grap her neck like a Tom would and she seem happy with that and off she went to eat. This morning, theres no meowing. Maybe that did it for her, who knows.

kitten645
03-04-2004, 11:20 AM
you did the right thing...I had a kitty that wasn't well and we went to the vet...I said I thought it was worms...she said No way ...we tested and he doesn't have worms..I again said...I think I know..I live with him...I think he has worms (though I hadn't seen any) They retested and sure enough the vet came back sheepishly to say indeed it WAS worms. Trust your guts...you live with them every day...what is bad is bad..and what is okay is okay...good on Cali to have an attentive Meowmie..
Claudia