PDA

View Full Version : I'm so mad at my mom...

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-03-2004, 07:36 PM
She told me she's not coming to my band concert.

Yeah, not a big deal, right? Well you don't know her whole background as an "involved parent".

Let me remind you, she didn't come to my FIRST EVER marching performance, my brother's FIRST Book Bowl COMPETITION, and now this, one of the most important days of my life, and she's NOT coming.

I am a fanatic about band. This is my fourth year, and my music is EVERYTHING to me.

She tells me she has a dinner and seminar or something with her boss. I was like "Mom, please, can't you tell him you can't go?" And she goes, "He's my boss, I can't, Meg, I'm sorry."

Yeah. So now I sit here bawling my eyes out because once AGAIN, she has BLOWN OFF her kids for something more "important".

Tweety_Pie
03-03-2004, 07:38 PM
:( aww Meg I am so sorry... If I could go I would.. but that would never make up for your mom not going .

What do you play in band? (I was in band last year, I played Clarinet he he he )

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-03-2004, 07:40 PM
I play French Horn. :(

bluekat
03-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that:(
Try telling your mom how you feel and beg her to go...maybe she could change her mind.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-03-2004, 07:42 PM
I did. I begged her on the way to her house and even while we were in the grocery store.

Dogz
03-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl
I play French Horn. :(

Beth (Toby's my baby) also plays the French Horn. I play the Alto Saxophone.

I am sorry that you are mad at your mom. Have you tried telling how important this is to you? You probably have, but maybe you could sit down with your mom and ask her what the seminar is about, and ask her why it is more important than you band concert, and why she has to be there. But you should be nice about it, I don't want you to get into a fight with your mom.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-03-2004, 07:47 PM
I just found something else out.

My dad told me he sent her an email telling her how he feels about this whole seperation thing, and you know what she did with it?

SHE DELETED IT.

I cannot even believe her. She makes me sick.

trayi52
03-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Sorry Megan, she does need to take time and get involved with what her children do. Lindsey was in the flag corp, and was captain of the flag team. I loved it!

Didn't get to go to any of the away games, but went to the home ones.

She was also in the band, of course she was a drummer.

I wish your mother would reconsider, it is very important.

Willie

leslie flenner
03-03-2004, 09:52 PM
where do you live?

catnapper
03-04-2004, 09:22 AM
I am so sorry. She has no excuse here. My husband has never ever missed one of my kids things - he'll watch half of one and then ride like the devil to see half another's if he has to. But he also has a job where from day one, he said that no matter what is gong on, if his kids have something they are in, then he's going to see them.

I myself? I try not to go to their games because I get yelled at by them when I don't watch the game - hey, if they're not on the field, I'm not watching.:D I hate sports. But no matter what, I'm there for their major games and for their awards ceremonies. I have sat through all of their concerts.

Perhaps your mom really couldn't get out of the obligation? Or do you think she didn't even want to try? I am so sorry that she is acting so selfish lately.

Logan
03-04-2004, 10:06 AM
I know you and your mom have a long history of things happening like this. I'm so sorry. :(

I do know that if my boss had requested my presence at something, it would be tough for me to tell him "sorry, I can't go". Sometimes when you work for a living, try to raise a child or children, and balance everything, it's hard to do. Thankfully, I haven't had to miss too many things in Helen's life, but there have been a few (including her birthday last year, as I had to be out of town). :(

I hope things will get better.

pitbullmommy
03-04-2004, 11:01 AM
i know how you feel.I was in band and I LOVED it,it was my life in high school. Do you think anyone ever came to any of my concerts or marching compitations? nope, I lived with my grandmother.....she worked and took me to whatever i needed to go to but never stayed NEVER not one time. So private messange me if you need to talk.
shawna

PJ's Mom
03-04-2004, 11:12 AM
The truth is, sometimes we (parents) just don't get it. It's sad, but true. :(

If you can't talk her into going, fine. Go, play your little heart out, then go home brag about how incredible you were. (I'm sure you're incredible all the time. ;) ) Make her really wish she hadn't missed it. Maybe that'll make her want to go to the next one so she doesn't miss anything. :)

Either way, I'm soirry this is happening to you. It does suck, it's not fair, and you have every right to be upset.

2kitties
03-04-2004, 11:37 AM
I'm sorry to hear your mom misses your events. I don't know you or your mom or your parents' separation situation. But I would just say that we only get one set of parents. They won't always do things the way we think they should. Often, their actions will hurt us a great deal. Bear in mind that we do plenty of things that hurt our parents a great deal as well.
The thing is, you may have to cut her some slack if things aren't going that great in her life. Even under the best of circumstances, being a mom is the hardest job a person can ever take on. And under less than perfect circumstances, it can be down right impossible.
I know in my job if my boss required my presence, there would be no saying no. I'm sure your mom would much rather be at your concert than at this meeting. But she has to keep her job in order to make a living.
Let her know you would love to have her there. Then accept that she loves you and is doing her best right now.

Karen
03-04-2004, 11:56 AM
Kiddo, I'm sending my mom’s spirit to your concert.
Imagine a short, stout woman with brown fuzzy hair beaming at you from the audience. She attended every band performance of every one of us, and the French Horn was her very favorite instrument. I wanted to play that as my first instrument, but the lady at the rental place told me it wasn't a good choice for beginners. My next choice was trombone, but the lady told me my arms were too short. I ended up playing clarinet to start, so never ended up playing French Horn. Mom will be there is spirit at your concert, okay?

trayi52
03-04-2004, 12:01 PM
Karen that is the sweetest thing you said about your mother. I understand your mother passed away? She sounded like the perfect mother. My dad was like that, just the most wonderful dad I could have ask for.

Willie

Logan
03-04-2004, 12:09 PM
I think having Karen's Mom, and all of us Mom's out here, with you in spirit will be a good thing, Meg!!! :) I know I would love to hear your concert. I was on the edge of my seat when Helen had her Christmas concert. My husband, Scott, and Helen's dad were unable to attend, but it was perfect, and I loved every minute, and I know they would have too! Helen plays the flute, and has been since she was in 2nd grade. She's now in the 7th grade.

Try not to take your disappointment out on your mom, although I know it is hard not to. Lots of changes in life can bring out all kinds of emotions that your mother probably doesn't understand, let alone you. Maybe you can play her your part as a solo later tonight! And if possible get a tape or video of the concert so she can enjoy it later. Could you possibly take your camera and have someone take pictures?? We'd love to see them!!!! :)

Karen
03-04-2004, 12:12 PM
My mom passed away 5 years ago (I think), she had ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease.) She was a great mom, and lives on in her children and grandchildren.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys. We are the best high school band in our county, and I wouldn't doubt that we are very high up there as best in state. We are no competition to our rival High School, East. Some people come to basketball games and such JUST to hear us play. I don't blame em! ;)

My band teacher is moving me up to this Advanced book, which he only gives out to certain people. The 1st chair French Horn has her book, and she's a senior. And I'm only a freshman! He says I am a great player and he's moving me up now. :)

carole
03-04-2004, 04:16 PM
I feel your disappointment Meg and I am sorry, not much I can say really except you will play fantastic whether she is there or not, it is a shame she does not see this as a priority, and I really do feel for you, try to keep your spirits up and not let it get you down too much(I know easier said than done), you know she is the one really missing out , and one of these days she will wake up and realise this and it will be too late.

Now you go and enjoy the band concert, and have a great time sweetie, cheers and good luck for the concert, and besides Karen's mother's spirit will be there and believe me each and everyone of us on PT will be with you too, in our own way kiddo.:)

Cinder & Smoke
03-04-2004, 04:30 PM
Hi God ~

Need sum Help down here onna Big Durt Ball...

Kan You round up summa the Moms, Dads, GranMoms, an GranPawz...

Load em up onna AngelBus an send em down here fur
Megan's Band Konsert ~ PaLeeze!

We know GranMom jest LUVZ Bands -
Dad's Sis still plays her Trumpit she got in HS...

GranMom will wanna sit *up frunt* - rite side Karen's Mom!

An maybe You culd ask da Band Directer to make a RECORDING
atta konsert - so Megan can take it home to Play fur Her Mom!

Thanks, God!!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Hey Megan ~

Don't wurrie - we'll have a *BIG* Krowd there ~
**CHEERIN** fur ya!

;) :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-04-2004, 04:38 PM
:) Thanks guys. They said they are making an audio tape, but I don't know if they are available for purchase.

Cinder & Smoke & Phred--

I dunno how you guys do it, but you can make a person feel better ANY day. Thanks bunches! *head scritchies for the pups*

Logan
03-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Get that audio tape, Megan!!!! :) And if you need some help, I feel that many of us are out here to help make sure you do!!!!

Logan

HoRsELUvR
03-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Im so sorry.:( That sounds terrible,your mom should really be more involved with you.You sound like a great french horn player.:)

moosmom
03-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Megan,

If the tape is available for purchase, send me a PM and I'll send you the money, okay? You should have it as a keepsake.

I'm sorry about your Mom. If you lived close enough to me, I'd make sure I was there for you!

Please let me know if the tape is available, okay?? And play your heart out honey!!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-05-2004, 07:47 AM
As always, our concert ROCKED, and once again, we got a standing ovation at the end. I think most of the people come just to see us. It's a great feeling.

Moosmom-

Thank you for your very kind offer. I'm going to see if they are selling the tapes, and if so, I will purchase one. Thanks! :)