PDA

View Full Version : Two new additions to the Bengal Brood!

luckies4me
03-03-2004, 05:02 PM
This Friday I will be taking in two rescue cats that are involved in a huge cat rescue here in Oregon. If anyone is in the Northwest and would like to help with foster/adoption please contact me and I can direct you to the person in charge in your area.

One of the cats is a male Bengal mix, neutered and another is a black kitty, although I am still waiting for more information on the black cat. I am unaware of ages but will hopefully find out more soon. So they should be here in two days! :D They are coming from the Portland area so about two hours away. I most likely will keep the Bengal after losing Mystic, and who knows, I might just keep the black kitty too! :D That would make me up to five cats. :eek:

Most of the cats are purebred and I think the black cat is a purebred MainCoon from a breeder. There are also tons of pure bred persians/himilayans as well as siamese/balinese, and one Silkerk Rex, which I am assuming has already been adopted. I will update more once I get another email from Stephanie. :) Just wanted to give everyone a heads up though.

luckies4me
03-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Well I guess no one cares that I am getting two new furballs.

Laura's Babies
03-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Man, to be able to get 2 more kitties! I only WISH!! I am green with envy, wish I was closer so I could foster a few while I am off.

trayi52
03-04-2004, 02:41 AM
Well I for one am glad to hear that you are getting them. I hope they take your mind off Mystic. Can't wait to see pictures!!

You must post pictures as soon as they arrive.

Willie:)

Vio&Juni
03-04-2004, 02:56 AM
I was wondering if you found Mystic or not and I was even going to look for some threads about this :(.

The black kitty, if she/he is a Main Coon should be REALLY gorgeous. Can't wait to see pictures.

luckies4me
03-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Oh man, this is making me sadder and sadder. These cats came from a hoarder who had about 100 +cats. :eek: :( Can anyone in the Northwest help?!!! If these cats are not placed after a month they are going to be euthanized. Here is some more info for anyone interested in fostering/adoopting:

Permission to cross post and permission is given to anyone to crosspost this to any forum and rescue sites please!

"I just spoke to a ferret rescuer in Oregon. She is coordinating a major cat
rescue of more than 100 cats, some of which are MAINE COON, two of which
are PERSIAN, a number of which are SIAMESE and longhair Siamese
(BALINESE?), one of which has "kinky fur all over the place" (Selkirk?) ,
several which sound like American Bobtails, and a few of which are MANX.
Any cats not rescued within a month will be put down. The original source
of at least one of the cats, a Persian, (she's still getting information on
the others) was allegedly originally a breeder. The picture of the one
Persian I've seen so far is clearly a purebred and not a mix of any sort.

The cats are all spayed and neutered, many have been FIV/FELV tested
negative but since all haven't been done and there are four separate
populations that run together, most of those tested will need retesting.
The conditions are described as rather good, but the persons who have them
on their farm cannot make ends meet and asked the ferret rescuer for help
to place them. All cats left after a month will be euthanized.

I am sending this email out to all the involved breed rescues and to the
registry lists & Persian lists.
*Persian rescuers* who can help should contact me at one of the two email
addresses below my signature line.
All other breed rescues should have a representative contact
Stephanie Wolfe (edited ) I have the email should anyone need it!

Direct adoptions are welcome but adopters should expect to be screened and
present themselves in person to pick up a cat.

Linda Pollack Mercer, M.D.
CFA Purebred Rescue Committee member
Director, Operation Noble Foster, http://www.OperationNobleFoster.org
Director/Facilitator, http://PurebredCatBreedRescue.org
Director, http://PersianCatRescue.org
Founder & Volunteer, The Feline Rescue Network, http://www.FelineRescue.net
Moderator & Owner, The Persian Rescue Email list:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Persian_Rescue
Email: <felinerescue @ felinerescue.net>(remove the spaces)"

Here is the email I recieved from Stephanie this morning:

"There are about 100 cats that need permanent homes. There are still roughly 40 that need fostering. Right now I have volunteers doing fostering in large groups, which unfortunately means many of these cats are in cramped conditions. I will send you more info on the sweet black kitty tomorrow. If I don't, then please e-mail me and remind me! Things are a bit crazy right now and I have missed an e-mail from time to time!
Thank you!"

So as you can see these cats need help, and quick. If anyone can help please let me know! I am unsure at this time how many fosters I will be taking, but it could be as many as 6.

luckies4me
03-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Vio&Juni
I was wondering if you found Mystic or not and I was even going to look for some threads about this :(.

The black kitty, if she/he is a Main Coon should be REALLY gorgeous. Can't wait to see pictures.

No, we never found Mystic. :(

My black cat at home Blacky is a MainCoon. He was gorgeous as a kitten. Now that he's old you can't even tell he's a MainCoon, but he has kept his ear tufts and other features, except he's not as big anymore from his thyroid problems and other health issues. He will be turning 16 on Easter!:eek:

moosmom
03-04-2004, 11:13 AM
Cass,

That's great you're helping out these kitties! I wish I was close enough to help out. That IS a Selkirk Rex you're describing. If only he/she was closer, I'd adopt the Rex myself. Moo would LOOOVE a new bud. The Selkirk Rex is actually a Sphynx with a perm!!

Good luck and keep us posted!

luckies4me
03-04-2004, 11:15 AM
I want him so bad! LOL I have always wanted a Sphynx or something similar!!! :D I am waiting to see if he is still available for adopting! :D :D :D Oooh, you don't know how bad I want him LOL. That's like my dream cat. :p

catcrazylady
03-04-2004, 03:17 PM
This is so horrible and yet exciting!! I'm sorry this idiot had so many cats and it is sad that some will probably be PTS.
On the other hand I can't wait to see pictures of your fosters!!! Keep us posted!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

ramanth
03-04-2004, 03:21 PM
Congrats on your new rescues! :)

luckies4me
03-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Please if anyone in the Northwest can help let me know! I will most likely be taking in all their Bengals, and possible a few siamese/persians as well. I am still waiting on the avilability of the Silkerk! :D LOL

Here's an update! There are people willing to transport out of state!

On Monday, March 1st, a small group of about 10 volunteers went to the home in Falls City, Oregon and received over 60 cats. We are fortunate that all but one of the cats were spayed/neutered, and most were not feral. The rescue was organized in only three days, and resourses were limited. However, the community and network of animal lovers and “cat people” in the Pacific Northwest have been and continue to be wonderful with helping aid in loaning carriers, volunteering their time, and helping with transportation, foster care, and placements of so many wonderful kitties. It was a 20 hour day for all the volunteers involved; including catching, crating, transporting, sorting, commuting, and setting up cat areas. Many of the volunteers traveled fair distances from home, too.

I am very grateful for all of the help that has been offered. Even those that were not able to do hands on assistance have been willing to aid in finding families for cats by posting pictures of the cats in need on personal web sites on petfinder accounts. I have also gotten many suggestions and contacts from people willing to take the time to care. The efforts have made this rescue mission a success so far.

Thank you everyone!

At this time my husband and I have been bringing cats into the vet small groups at a time to be examined, treated for fleas, worms, and mites, FIV/FLK tested, vaccinated, and to have many cats treated for their individual ailments (which include herpes of the eyes in one cat, chronic upper respiratory infections in several, and there are a few needed surgeries.) I have a vet that has volunteered to see the cats free of cost and only charge for materials and treatments.

I found out just recently that there are still about 30 cats that will need placement. Many of these cats have a range of medical issues.

This letter serves as a request for donations of money, food/supplies, or hands on volunteering of those in the area. A donation of $5 is simple but will help us keep these cats healthy. Please forward this e-mail to everyone you know if you are willing, and feel free to post it on any site or forum online.

My telephone number is (541) 929-7742.

I can contacted at [email protected], and receive paypal funds via the same address.

Checks or money orders can be sent to

Edited for privacy reasons (please ask Luckies4me for address)

Or

You may send donations directly to our vet at

Eastgate Veterinary Clinic
33888 Southeast Peoria Road
Corvallis, OR 97333
541-752-3786

Thank you!!

Both foster and forever homes are still needed for the many wonderful cats. Please e-mail me if you are interested in adding a furry family member. The following is the original e-mail that was circulated. I included it here for you to use to reference back to. Thank you.

Please help us,

The situation is this: over 100 cats. There are several (like, 40) that are indoors in a pretty good living space. The rest are in an open air, roofless, wet out door "cat run".

The care taker of these cats is wonderful - she is just not networked with anyone (very back woods out of the way area... old computer-clueless hippie, etc...) and is in way over her head. She was not prepared for this rescue task, and what started as a temporary effort to help has turned into a very bad situation.

This is no regular collector situation. The cats are all current on all vacs (with vet documentation for all), are spayed/neutered, flea and worm treated, and have been eating Max Cat. This is a unique situation - it is both horrible and acceptable at the same time. I am thankful that something is going to be done now, because it is only going down hill VERY fast. The woman has had so many cats dropped off (like, in boxes in the middle of the night sort of deal). The place reeks, even though the litter pans are clean.

Some of the cats are in tough shape health and temperament wise, but for the most part NEARLY ALL of these 100 + cats are totally ready to go into homes.

So this is what I ask: PLEASE, if everyone can look into their local cat rescue, shelter, independently wealthy local animal lover, etc, and spread the message. We are asking for shelters and fosters that are able to take FIVE cats. Just FIVE. Or less. Trying to get this down to a manageable number so that otherwise healthy and temperamentally sound cats don't end up getting put down. I will look into setting up a Cats Across America sort of deal once we get as many as we can spoken for. The situation is in Oregon.

There are cats of all shapes, sizes, and colors. Many are Siamese, bangle, Persian, and other beautiful mixes.

Any other ideas are welcomed and encouraged. Please e-mail me directly, or feel free to call.

Thank you everyone!

Stephanie Wolf
[email protected]
(541) 929-7742

UPDATE

My husband and I are west of Philomath, Oregon (which is west of Corvallis) the cat emergency is in Fall City, however the site is tricky for public access due to a secondary rescue (involving wolves, coyotes, and mixes) and a stupid drama between the people involved. Our concern is for the animals - while it looks like the ball is rolling on the wild dog rescue, the cat rescue is slow moving. We have about 30 days to place as many cats as possible, and the rest will most likely be put down. We have to work fast.

Obviously, there is a lot involved to this rescue!

A group of about 6 volunteers and myself went in on Monday and brought out about 100 cats. We have since been attempting to get them into temporary foster situations and into permanent homes. So far I have been covering the costs of the vet visits. We are gladly accepting donations.

I found out the other night that there are still 38 cats left. We are in need of foster homes.

My husband and I are willing to transport kitties pretty fair distances in Oregon, and are willing to meet people half way, also. We are attempting to set up a rout of volunteers to transport cats out of state, too. That will depend on the availability of homes/fostering/shelters out of state. Please pass our e-mail and phone number to anyone that you think could help. We need to lower the number of kitties as much and as quickly as possible.
I went and took many pictures a few days ago and can e-mail them to interested parties. I can e-mail photos for petfinder.com accounts of parties that would like to help but are unable to personally take any cats… Just let me know.

I am still waiting to hear more about which cats I will be taking but will update everyone as soon as I have pics and know more. :)

kimlovescats
03-05-2004, 11:08 AM
What a sad, sad situation ... but so glad that you are able to help! Looking forward to news on your fosters, and hopefully pictures too! ;)

luckies4me
03-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Well apparently I have been disconnected from the rescue due to an email a person who dislikes me sent to the rescue coordinator. See here:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/beautifulwolf/

I can't undestand why anyone would do this. I am NOT a hateful, horrible animal owner. :( It upsets me to think that this person believes what this person had to say, even though they (both!) have never met me in person or took the time to verify directly with me. It just makes me sick to say the least. I am very dissapointed.

:(

trayi52
03-06-2004, 08:02 PM
OMG, Cass were they talking about you?! Your the Cassie? MY GOD! They don't know you at all! :mad:

I just can't believe the crap in there!! What in the world would possess them to say something like that?

I am sorry Cass this has upset you so badly, and I don't blame you at all. Try to help, and get kicked in the teeth..

Willie

luckies4me
03-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Yes it's about me! If you read her journal you can see what type of person she is. Not a very great one in MHO. If you read down she talks about killing her dog. One of her kittens and her ferret were attacked and killed by her dog yet she calls me a horrible pet owner. :rolleyes:

trayi52
03-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I read that. I was thinking the same thing too. Really crappy!

Willie

aly
03-06-2004, 09:06 PM
I briefly read through a lot of her posts. She did state a few things that made me uneasy, like how she gave her ferret chocolate ice cream knowing it wasn't good for him. Then she asked how sick he would get and laughed. Ugh. Also, she said she didn't neuter her cat out of "respect" for him. There were a few other things in there that made her seem very questionable.

I didn't see the part about the dog. Do you know what date that was posted, Cass?

luckies4me
03-06-2004, 09:09 PM
I totally agree with you Aly. Some of the things in there just make me want to barf. All my cats are fixed, ALL! I don't need kittens. Yes I did make the mistake of having Houdini have kittens but now it's something I so would not do out of respect for her and all the other feline friends in this world. There are just TOO many cats that need homes. What if her cat gets out and impregnates another cat?

luckies4me
03-06-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by aly

I didn't see the part about the dog. Do you know what date that was posted, Cass?

I don't believe it's in her journal. This is just what I heard from a friend and I think maybe something it mentioned about the dog breifly. I will have to search and look. I am not sure 100% it's true, but I am pretty sure. The ferret she has now is one my friend gave her after her rescued pit killed her ferret and kitten. :(

luckies4me
03-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Well I just talked to Steph on the phone as she was headed out to the Salem PetCo for a ferret adoptathon. She seemed nice but we will see. I guess there were rumous saying I never worked at vet clinics and that I only did reception work etc. :rolleyes: I wonder if I should forward the journal link to her so she knows what kind of person is adopting/fostering her cats. :p

Kirsten
03-07-2004, 10:51 AM
I'm sorry you have to deal with this when all you wanted to do was to help! :(

Kirsten

catmandu
03-08-2004, 09:22 AM
God Blees YOU!

catmandu
03-08-2004, 09:23 AM
God Bless YOU!