PDA

View Full Version : Weird Email!!

Dogz
03-03-2004, 04:04 PM
I was just checking my email, and I got a very strange email! It was from someone I did not know, but it came up into my INBOX. I thought maybe I had sent someone something, so I opened it. It read, 'i have recieved this.' So, I thought maybe a sent a picture for a contest or something.:confused: So, I opened the picture. I box popped up that said it was a VIRUS, and you know what that file was called? me_naked. I Xed out of it right away, so I don't know what the virus was called, and I do not want to open it again.

I am never opening emails that I am not sure of ever again.

P.S. It was from [email protected].

slleipnir
03-03-2004, 04:21 PM
You should be able to open e-mails safely so long as you don't view the attachment..which is where the virus would be. If you're unsure of the attachment, just do a virus scan before you open it..if you didn't. Theres lots of strange e-mails out there..I ignore them if I can ^_^

CathyBogart
03-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Don't open attachments you weren't expecting, even from an email address you recognize.

I got an attachment containing a virus from the email addy of the people who host my email! O.O It was a virus pretending to be them.

Karen
03-03-2004, 05:15 PM
And it probably was not actually from the email address you posted - viruses generate fake email address, or troll computers and gather addresses to put in the "from" box.

popcornbird
03-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Sometimes, JUST opening the email can get a virus into your system. My dad accidently clicked on an email from unknown sources on my brother's laptop several months ago, and it infected the whole computer. He never opened an attachment..........just the email. It took formatting the harddrive to get it fixed. Never risk it. Better to be safe then sorry. Don't open emails when you don't know where they're coming from. ;)

anna_66
03-04-2004, 09:05 AM
So funny you should post this because I have been getting some weird email from various people I don't know as well. Some saying "I know your password", "Check this out" and a few other things. I even got one saying "virus":confused: This is all in my hotmail account & I've never gotten such weird things as this. I just deleated them all.

PepperRSM
03-04-2004, 03:58 PM
A good way to protect yourself from spammers is to turn off the option to recieve HTML in your emails. Spammers can embed things like viruses and other tracking devices in the HTML. Popcornbird, that's probably what happened to your dad when he opened that email. I use yahoo mail and I can turn off HTML recieving on that. I'm not sure about hotmail or other email places.

HoRsELUvR
03-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Yea i never open emails from people i dont know.

LauralG
03-04-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi I'm glade you posted this this happened to me. I got a few worms one called mi-mail the other called Netskie. I had my service turn my spam gaurd on and downloaded extra stinger tools to help solve the problem. The problem is solved now or I hope so. I also had a strange email from my service which is telus I thought it was from them it said please open this or your account will be frozen this looked strange to me so I phone telus and they got me to email them the email so they can figure out where it came from and they did. So good thing I did not waste time opening it because now that virus I found is called Bagel. Yikes. I don't open any from people I don't know or junk mail I just delete it. :) Good luck hope that helped.

Thankyou Willie:)

clara4457
03-04-2004, 11:04 PM
The same thing has been happening to me. I don't think it is a virus, I think it is a worm. It seems to have started with an email I opened (but not the attachment). The weird thing was that I received the email from an email address of someone I know. Since I opened the email it now seems to be shooting off these weird emails to people I know from my email address. It seems to be attaching to every email address I have in my address book.

I think it is some kind of email worm, but I also ran a couple of different worm fixes and it just tells me "no worm detected". Can't figure out how I got affected and how it could start from an email from a know source. I never open emails from someone I don't know. I started on my yahoo email account, but now it is affecting all my email accounts.

So if anyone hears of a fix, please let us know. It is getting rather embarrasing to get business associates asking me about strange emails.

:o

moosmom
03-04-2004, 11:11 PM
I was getting lots of "Delivery Failure" from people I don't know regarding e-mails I didn't send. I reported it to Juno and sent them copies of the e-mails. Several of them had viruses attached. I am VERY careful about opening e-mails from people I don't recognize. I simply delete them. If it's not in my address book, I delete it. I've never had a problem.

LauralG
03-04-2004, 11:15 PM
Do you have any protection on your computer like AVG or adawear or stinger or contact your service people for help. Trust me I have had a worm I've been through it.:)

Thanks Willie

Dogz
03-05-2004, 07:32 AM
LauralG- I have Adaware and Nortin AntiVirus.

LauralG
03-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Awesome Yep that happened to me a few times. But I got telus my server to turn the spam gaurd on. I just run avg every day and adawear everyday just to be safe it will catch it. Silly computers the spam gaurd helps. good luck. :)

Thanks Willie

CountryWolf07
03-05-2004, 10:06 AM
I got that too.. I knew it was not a "normal" email.. Be careful, you guys!!

2kitties
03-05-2004, 10:09 AM
You don't even have to open the attachment. Some viruses will attack if you simply click on the email itself. Here are the rules I try to go by: Dont' open anything from anyone you don't know, don't open anything with a weird subject line even from people you do know, and get a good virus software. ..... OR my personal favorite: Get A Macintosh!!!:D

Randi
03-05-2004, 10:29 AM
2kitties! You said it all - perfectly! :D