PDA

View Full Version : A dog rescue??

Denyce
03-03-2004, 02:46 PM
I don't usually post in the dog section but this happened this week in our Happy Valley. It is a sad situation in to many ways. One that these animals had to be in this situation in the first place. And then that our SPCA got involved. He claims he had no other choice but as far as I know he didn't even make an effort to contact other rescue organizations before destroying so many dogs. I posted this here rather than the Rescue but if someone feels it should be moved please feel free.

Denyce

SPRING MILLS - More than 100 dogs were removed from a Spring Mills farm Monday and charges of animal cruelty are pending against two women whom officials believe were "trying to do a good thing and just got over their heads."

The investigation began when county dog warden Edward Lucas contacted John Matrisciano, the county's Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals director, because he was having trouble contacting licensed kennel owner Avis Brech, of 1074 Upper Georges Valley Road, Spring Mills. The second woman's name could not be confirmed Tuesday. Under Pennsylvania law, dog wardens are required to inspect kennels regularly.

Matrisciano and Lucas went to Brech's property Thursday and counted about 80 dogs housed there. Brech is only licensed to have 50 dogs, Matrisciano said. The two men then applied for a search warrant and on Monday removed 105 dogs, two horses and four cats from the property.

"I brought along two horse trailers, thinking that it would be enough," Matrisciano said. "But I had to go back and get a third trailer to carry all the animals out of there."

Calls to Brech went unanswered Tuesday.

Over the years, Matrisciano said the SPCA had received a few complaints about Brech's farm. When they investigated, the situation there was "less than adequate but workable," he said. But when Brech did not respond to Lucas' requests for an inspection, Matrisciano decided to step in.

When they arrived at the property, Matrisciano said the smell of feces was overpowering and the sound of barking dogs echoed through the farm. Many of the dogs were emaciated and living in several inches of feces. Some were kept in crates, though most were in kennels in outbuildings on the property.

The majority of the dogs were hounds, but there also were greyhounds, Great Danes and terriers found, Matrisciano said.

The horses had burrs and mud matted into their coats, manes and tails. Their rib and hip bones were visible and both had problems with their hooves, Matrisciano said.

Matrisciano said all the animals found on the farm belong to Brech and the other woman; none were being boarded or were for sale. The youngest dogs were part of a litter of 6-month-old black and tan hounds, he said.

"I think this is a situation where they were trying to do good," Matrisciano said. "I don't think there was any malice involved. The situation just snowballed."

Even so, Matrisciano said he doesn't know how anyone could think they could care for more than 100 animals. "We have a paid staff and we can't care for that many," he said.

Brech willingly surrendered 64 of the dogs, Matrisciano said, after officials began removing the animals Monday.

Of those, half were euthanized for health or personality problems.

Matrisciano said he also euthanized 13 dogs housed at the shelter Monday to make room for the dogs from Brech's farm.

"That was a tough decision, one that will haunt me," Matrisciano said.

"But what other option is there?"

Matrisciano said 19 of Brech's dogs are being housed at the SPCA's kennel in Centre Hall. The rest are being kept by kennels all over the region until officials can decide what will happen next.

Some of the dogs will be available for adoption.

But those that weren't voluntarily surrendered might have to be given back if the women are acquitted of the charges, Matrisciano said.

Charges of animal cruelty, keeping animals in unsanitary conditions and related counts will be filed, he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wolfie
03-03-2004, 02:56 PM
That's so sad! :( I hope they all find good homes and don't go back there! I can't believe they had to put that many of the dogs to sleep! :(

lovemyshiba
03-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Denyce

Matrisciano said 19 of Brech's dogs are being housed at the SPCA's kennel in Centre Hall. The rest are being kept by kennels all over the region until officials can decide what will happen next.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is where we got Jada, and where I got Riley in the parking lot. It is an awful place.

I saw this on the news last night, and the pictures were horrifying--especially of the horses:(

I pray that these dogs can find loving homes, but I am afraid many of them will not. This SPCA is always full of hounds, many of whom never see the outside again.:(

I plan to go out and donate some money or food for these dogs tomorrow or Friday.

Why do these things have to happen??:(

Twisterdog
03-03-2004, 10:06 PM
This is indeed a very sad - and unfortunately very common - occurance.

Animal hoarding is a true psychological ailment. The victims are almost always middle-aged women. These women do truly believe, in their heart of hearts, that they are helping. And, at first, they probably are. But they lose the ability to see things realistically in time.

Very sad ... not only for the animals, but for the hoarders themselves, who truly and honestly think they are just trying to help animals, and don't understand why someone would take away their babies.

clara4457
03-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
This is indeed a very sad - and unfortunately very common - occurance.

Animal hoarding is a true psychological ailment. The victims are almost always middle-aged women. These women do truly believe, in their heart of hearts, that they are helping. And, at first, they probably are. But they lose the ability to see things realistically in time.

Very sad ... not only for the animals, but for the hoarders themselves, who truly and honestly think they are just trying to help animals, and don't understand why someone would take away their babies.

You are absolutely correct. We just had a case like this in our area. The woman truly believed she was "saving" the dogs, but in reality she was abusing them by making them live in unsocialized and filthy conditions. Very sad. Unfortunately there are more animals needing homes than homes available. Which is why a mandatory spay/neuter program is so necessary. (I know this will offend many people - but when you volunteer in a shelter and see wonderful dogs pts on a weekly basis, you become pretty jaded to any kind of breeding)

Denyce
03-04-2004, 07:39 AM
Emily,

Don't bother donating any money to this SPCA. We have found out that the money doesn't stay here at this SPCA. It goes to Philadelphia where they distribute it as they see fit. There is much more wrong with this place than it appears on face value.

Denyce

lovemyshiba
03-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Denyce
Emily,

Don't bother donating any money to this SPCA. We have found out that the money doesn't stay here at this SPCA. It goes to Philadelphia where they distribute it as they see fit. There is much more wrong with this place than it appears on face value.

Denyce

I will not donate money to this SPCA-I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that.
I will, however, take a couple of bags of food out, if I can bear to go out there.
If not, one of the local radio stations is accepting donations also, maybe I will just have to take it there.

This is the first time I have ever heard of something like this happening so close to me, and it has me so upset.
I just know these dogs don't have much time, sick or healthy.

This has been getting a lot of local press, maybe some people can help these dogs.
If I had the space, time and finances for more, I would have been out there the day I heard about this, but I can't right now.

Denyce
03-04-2004, 02:46 PM
It is a very frustrating and sad situation. And it isn't the only one going on in Centre County. I have been working with some people on another situation here that has been going on for many years. I just can't get into in much detail right now because we are about to get the police involved and I don't want to compromise the situation at all. It is one that John has been aware of for 3 years and yet the conditions remain. There are many reasons why...not all of them John's laziness and incompetance. Some of them are just the crappy animal protection laws we have here in PA. They are minimal at best. Cats have almost no protection at all. Most of the vet clinics also take in food donations for the SPCA. I am also sickened by the fact that other dogs were put down to make room for these. Yet I doubt that John even made any attempt to contact any rescue organizations in the area to find out if there were room for any animals. It is just easier for him to put them to sleep. Going to an effort to help the animals or actually save them isn't in his vocabulary. But he is sooooo good at putting on the sympathetic face for the press and say how this will...."haunt him for the rest of his life". yea...right. Just like it haunts him about all the pets he has put to sleep when he knows who owns them and that they are going to come to pick them up...but hey....they don't hold animals for people you know. :rolleyes: :mad: