PDA

View Full Version : scary doorbell

Sirrahsim
03-03-2004, 02:09 AM
Poor Boomer got scared out of his wits today. The little Japanese guys from CE came to fiddle with my piece of crap oven today and I was unfortunatley unable to let them in before they rang the doorbell. My poor kitty froze, stuck up the ridge of fur on his back, puffed out his tail, and ran to find a hiding place. I don't know why my little sweety is so scared of the doorbell. He has no problem with people coming in through the front door so long as the doorbell remains silent. I've thought about trying to desensitize him to it by ringing it each time I walk in the door and then hurrying to snuggle him and tell him everything's ok. But I'm worried that he might be conditioned to associate his fear of the doorbell with me rather than be conditioned to associate my cuddles and kisses with the doorbell. Any thoughts? Here are some pics of my poor sweety hiding.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid105/p938fed38e1b6d5c77abce7e109a60fec/f9747564.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid105/p0916d0b2830c7226e24ad5ed2ccb9927/f9747560.jpg

catmandu
03-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Princess and Michael used to be scred by the apartment buzzer , and they are still startled , especially te Princes , if I make that sound! Then again she is nervous!

catnapper
03-03-2004, 09:39 AM
At least he's making use of his tent... is that his beanbag chair I spy next to it?

I have no suggestions of help in getting him used to the doorbell. Perhaps have company more often?:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-03-2004, 10:18 AM
Awww...he looks so scared in the second pic. :( I know what you mean though because Peanut is the exact same way. She still gets a little panicky if someone comes in without the doorbell, but not near as bad as if they ring the doorbell. Thankfully, most of our friends know this and don't bother with it - they just walk right in. ;) :eek: :D

I'm no help on the desensitizing thing though. It makes sense that it would work, but I'd hate to traumatize him more if it's not going to work, so I'm just not sure....

Randi
03-03-2004, 10:25 AM
Oh poor Boomer being so scared of the doorbell. :( Good thing he had his tent to hide in! :)

Any chance you could put up another bell with a different sound? Seems like it's the sound he doesn't like.

CatDad
03-03-2004, 10:55 AM
On the subject of desensitizing. Joey used to run to hide anytime the front was opened and had not reaction if the door from the house to the garage was used. So I started to use the front door more and now she does not run away if one of us uses it. So it is possibly to get them used to somethings like the doorbell ringing.

However, if it is not just that the bell is a strange sound but that it bothers his ears or something like that. Then all you are going to do is drive him nuts. If you can put in a new bell and see if he reacts the same. If he does I would say it is just that the bell is a strange sound and just start to use it more.

Good luck.

kitten645
03-03-2004, 10:55 AM
My boys are equally scared of the door if it isn't me. I've started knocking softly befor I enter and they do seem to be less scared. Interesting that the know foot steps so perhaps my knocks don't mean anything since they know it's me. When my brother or boyfriend come over they know the steps and are fine. As for the doorbell, can you put a note by it asking the visitors to knock lightly instead?
Claudia

kimlovescats
03-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Poor baby!!! You know a kitty is terrified if they hide their little faces like in the second picture!!! :( I don't have any suggestions, but I wish you luck in figuring it out ... I know it hurts for you to see him so scared!!!

Cataholic
03-03-2004, 11:42 AM
I cannot stand when people use the doorbell! What I 'think' is a contributing factor is the steps/motion they hear outside the front door, then, a bell from somewhere BEHIND them....that makes them say, "wait a minute, I know someone is at the front door, and that is why I am focused on it, now, I hear the rear noise, and I don't know what to do".

I don't think I would work on desensitizing him...it might be more of a shock. And, since you usually 'catch' someone before they ring it, it really isn't all that frequent, is it?

Poor boy, hiding in the tent. Send him a soft little kiss from me.

sirrahbed
03-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Hey Missy the only thing I can think of is what I did when you kids were babies - I put a small lid - like the top of a pump hairspray bottle - over the buzzer and duct taped it down. Then, people have to knock. Could you do something like this? Then hang a little wreath over it and a cute "please knock" sign or doorknob hanger. Or, if you can find the doorbell unit in the house, you might be able to put something in the casing (styrofoam or insulation) to muffle the sound if it is the vibrating type. Poor Boomer - this must really scare him to run and hide like that!!:(
Hope this helps!!

Sirrahsim
03-03-2004, 10:33 PM
thanks for all your suggestions :) I would love to put in a doorbell with a different sound, but seeing as I'm in government housing I'm not alowed to change it:( I found the place where the sound comes out, but it's securely fastened to the wall almost at the ceiling. I may be able to secure a towel or something around the outside of it- it'd be ugly, but it might make him more comfortable.
Yes, it's true that I don't get visitors much :rolleyes: :D and generally I can keep the door propped open enought to hear footsteps coming down our hallway if I'm expecting someone. I could definately put something over the button! It's have to be something large though because the button is quite long. I can put a sign on it, but it probably wouldn't do much good cuase most of the people that come over unexpectadly are Japanese workers who can't speak, let alone READ english letters. I'll take your advice and not try to desensitize him to it, I wouldn't want to stress him out even more, poor thing. Boomer spent most of the afternoon after the guys left curled up in a tight little ball on my lap with his front paws holding on to my arm with great strength. I feel so sorry for me poor little baby:( Hopefully things will get better. He's gotten to where he doesn't freak out quite so much when he sees my hunny in uniform. Paul has been making a point lately to speak softly and be extra sweet to Boomer.

Randy_K
03-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Funny animals, these cats are. My mom's Russian Blue Binky is terrified of the doorbell. Mango, on the other hand, runs to the door to see who's there He even starts pulling the door open if we don't open it fast enough

Binky is terrified of the trash truck's noise. Mango sleeps through it. I guess it's just different personalities