PDA

View Full Version : Questions about FeLV

halliecat
03-02-2004, 04:24 PM
I have had to have two kitties PTS with this terrible disease. One probably got it from the other. Both were indoor/outdoor cats. This is before the vaccination was available. (Just after the second cat was PTS the vaccination became available:( )

Hallie is an indoor cat. The vet would not give her the vaccination because she is an indoor cat. Something new I guess.

However, recently she went nose to nose with the cat next door who has not had ANY vaccinations and that kitty hissed at Hallie. (Long story why they were together..)

The other kitty does not have obvious signs of FeLV (but that does not mean anything--yes it is mostly an outdoor cat). But I am worried. How catchable is this disease? Was my cat really at risk? You can be sure they will be seperated no matter what.

Sorry this is so long but I am really worried. Hope you can help with my questions!

moosmom
03-02-2004, 06:03 PM
Here are some links to help you understand Feline Leukemia and how it is transmitted. I hope this helps!!

http://www2.dgsys.com/~ermiller/FeLV.html#general

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/Public/FHC/felv.html

Kirsten
03-03-2004, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the links, moosmom, I'll check them out.

halliecat, I totally share your concerns. Two days ago, I found out that Lily (whose mommy is an indoor/outdoor cat) hasn't been vaccined against FeLV from her first vet, nor has she been tested.
The test will be made on Friday now, and I'm a bit nervous now, to say the least.

I also did some research on FeLV the last couple of days and came to the conclusion that my RB Aysche must have had it. So far, I have always thought she had died from FIP only, but she was showing signs of illness for more than a year before she has been PTS (such a long time is untypical for FIP), and I remember my vet mentioned "leukemia". I have always thought that this was a "side effect" coming from the FIP, but now I have learned it must have been the other way around. :(

However, in 1984, when I got my Aysche, there were no vaccines against these diseases.

Anyway, to be on the safe side, I would recommand to have Hallie tested and vaccinated, at least when there's a constant risk that she can get in touch with other kitties. I know there's also a risk of fibrosarcoma related to FeLV vaccination, with makes this decision even more complicated. :confused:

Kirsten

AvaJoy
03-03-2004, 07:42 PM
Two of my cats Meeshe and Muskrat (both rescues) are FeLV+. I have had Meeshe for about 4 years and he is otherwise healthy as can be. So is Muskrat. They are separated from my other 4 as a precaution, even though my others (strictly indoors) have been vaccinated.

I would just like to say that from the experience I've had with my two, FeLV is NOT a certain death sentence by any stretch.