PDA

View Full Version : dumb question....

Amber
03-02-2004, 02:58 PM
Last Friday I had to get blood work done. To see if any thing was wrong with me. Today the doctor called to give me my results. He said that everything is fine, but he wants to keep an eye on my red blood cells. He said that they dont fight infections good enough, and thats why im sick all the time. Can it be cured? Its kinda bugging me. sorry, a really pointless thread but its driving me crazy if it will get any better.

does anyone know?

Corinna
03-02-2004, 03:05 PM
I suggest taking vitimans that help build the immune system . Hubby has to do it to fight after his cancer surgury.

Amber
03-02-2004, 03:06 PM
Yeah...My mom has vitamens for me, but I never take them....I always forget! hehe

But im gonna have to now!

2kitties
03-02-2004, 03:25 PM
yes, you are probably a bit anemic. Just getting more vitamins and iron will help.

Karen
03-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Eat lots of dark leafy greens, like broccoli and spinach! Good iron, and the body absorbs it better from food than from pills, I've heard.

G.P.girl
03-02-2004, 04:43 PM
take vitamin C...it tastes like orange!;)

RedHedd
03-02-2004, 04:55 PM
How old are you? A good multi-vitamin, extra C, eat your fruits and veggies, do not take extra iron (not really good for you; you probably get enough from the food you eat).

I'm a cancer survivor, so I take MANY vitamins to help keep my immune system up, but you probably don't need to do what I do. Browse some of the health sites. Many of them have good vitamin-advisor services; just don't buy their vitamins - too expen$ive - but make note of which nutrients they recommend and take a printout to your drugstore or go to Vitaminshoppe.com - the BEST prices IMHO. HTH

Amber
03-02-2004, 05:08 PM
im 13 now, but this saturday i'll be 14 (yippie!):D

K9soul
03-02-2004, 05:18 PM
A daily vitamin is a good idea, but of course just be sure and not overdo it and take more than one or one with added iron unless the doctor suggests it.

A lot of vegetables and fruits, as well as many herbs, have what are called antioxidants, which bolster your immune system. Antioxidants work as cell protectors, helping to keep your cells free of harmful substances which can cause sickness.

The highest concentrations are found in the most deeply or brightly colored fruits and vegetables such as spinach, carrots, red bell peppers, tomatoes, strawberries, blueberries, and so on.

Your question wasn't dumb at all by the way. Doctors in their hurried world often cannot take the time to really explain things to us, and it can be confusing and make one nervous!

countrycowgirl
03-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
I suggest taking vitimans that help build the immune system . Hubby has to do it to fight after his cancer surgury.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of cancer surgury????
I was only wondering because my dad had major cancer surgury in december an you really don't pay attion to the word cancer till it happens to you.

petlover
03-03-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by G.P.girl
take vitamin C...it tastes like orange!;)

haha... my Vitamin C tastes like a sweet tart:p