PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't a Cat Be More Like a Dog???

Edwina's Secretary
03-02-2004, 10:36 AM
Once in a while I kinda, sorta, wish my Es were more like a dog. One of those times was at 4:30 this morning.

My husband is out of town. We have a security system on the house that, when armed, detects motion at various points throughout the house (and glass break and doors opening and smoke.)

It went off at 4:30 this morning. It would wake the dead. I stumbled downstairs to disarm it. Here I am...pjs. no glasses, no slippers. The systems says...motion detected...garage. Great.

Where are my brave guard kitties? Peeking cautiously down the stairs. "Is it safe to come down?" they asked. "We'll just wait for you here!"

So as I am looking out all the windows with a flashlight they slowly come down and peek around corners watching me.

I decide to go back to bed. THEY decide it will help my jangled nerves if they play for a while. I believe the game is called Mongrel Hordes? Run up and down the stairs, stomp, thump, pound.

Long about 5:30 they rejoined me in bed. "Don't worry momma, we'll protect you!"

Yeah, right!

kimlovescats
03-02-2004, 10:47 AM
hehehe..... well, I guess they decided to provide the "comic relief"... glad it wasn't anything REAL going on in the garage!!!;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Big brave E's! Yeah right! :D

jazzcat
03-02-2004, 10:54 AM
LOL, Mongrel Hordes. So that is what that game is called. Guess they know how to play that one here in TN too because I've heard it from Scout and Jazz in the wee hours of the morning. Wonder if that is one of the rules, only to be played when the furless ones are asleep in the dark.

catmandu
03-02-2004, 11:05 AM
I have read that Siamese Cats will defend your homes , but that might be a mtyh as the Cat Sitters hasd no trouble , what so ever. And JJJ3 , all he did was to hide his Whiskas Temptations! Guard Cat , indeed!

Randi
03-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Oh Sara, I sympathise!! I know how you feel. :( Must have been scary, but I'm glad no one actually broke in! :eek:

What a help the E's are! Fister would have behaved the same way. :rolleyes:

Ps. I've just had a half an hour nap - well 2 hours, says John. Guess who kept me awake last night! Fister decided to clean his litterbox real thouroghly, he kept on and on rearranging the sand - until John got up and banged the door!

catlover4ever
03-02-2004, 11:12 AM
I'm glad that everything is OK, but I do understand just where you are coming from. My watch kitties would have been under the bed playing, "Bounce mommy and daddy"...they get into the boxspring frame (they torn all the fabric off the botton) and then they run back and forth, and in between the springs.....it sends us bouncing to say the least. :rolleyes:

Cataholic
03-02-2004, 11:56 AM
Well, it is good to know there wasn't any breakin! I always tell my cats to be good, and protect the (tree)fortress. I can tell when something isn't right in the house...the cats hide. So, if I come home, and all are laying about in various poses of sleepiness, I know no one is inside my house!

catnapper
03-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Who says dogs are brave? Nicki would be cowering right behind me! Either that, or she's be waggin her tail asking them if they need any help loading the van with our stuff.

It was very thoughtful of them to releive the stress with play. They say laughter is the best stress buster.

momoffuzzyfaces
03-02-2004, 01:15 PM
If they were dogs, they would HAVE to go out at 4:30 in the morning. Then they would somehow manage to have you meet the intruder in person and/or manage to get you locked out of your own house in your jammies, setting off the alarm yourself. Glad it was a false alarm!:D

Pam
03-02-2004, 01:35 PM
Well personally I think it's a MARVELOUS IDEA for you to add a dog to your family! I am sure Gavin would agree. There would be a little more "common ground" for him when he comes for those tasty holiday meals! ;)

I know for a fact that Andy would have been hiding and I am quite certain that Trevor would have been also. :rolleyes:

Gosh I wonder if somehow the "burglar" could be a "burglaress" in the form of Shirley. We had a mommy squirrel in our attic once (she gave birth up there! :eek: .) Maybe Shirley snuck herself into the garage when no one was looking! :p Glad it was only a false alarm anyway. Those alarms are enough to send one's heart thumping, aren't they!! :eek:

slick
03-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Glad everything is OK Sara. At least the E's came downstairs. If that were to happen in my apt, Max and Specks would hide :eek:

Barbara
03-02-2004, 02:16 PM
A sound like turning the sheet of a newspaper can cause Tigris to make a kickstart from your lap and get him in 2 seconds upstairs under the bed (now you know where the scratches on my calves come from).

I think you have very brave E'S:D

trayi52
03-02-2004, 02:26 PM
Grover and Stubby are like that! No help there. Now my Rottweiler, Dana would be a different story, the intruder would be in so much trouble! The intruder would be licked to death. Ump, death by loving and licking.

The only way Dana would be any help is if she decided she wanted to sit in their laps, and done one of her smack right in the face routine, which usually ends up making you see lots of pretty stars. What a watch dog!

Glad to hear there wasn't a breakin.

Willie

rg_girlca
03-02-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm glad it wasn't anything serious. My guys would have been running and bumping into each other trying to figure out where to hide from the noise.
Buddy, on the other hand would give his usual low and I mean low, little woof, woof. Yeah, like that is going to do anything.

koxka
03-02-2004, 04:59 PM
LOL, LOL, that's too funny! :D

Guess the E's were acting as bodyguards for their BRAVE meowme :D: being ready to enter in action from their hide-corner if the opportutiny arose :D

Koxka would certanly hide on the most far end of the house. Iuri would certanly greet him rubbing his legs meowming for attention. Paloo and Ginjol could care less. Pericot it depents on his mood, but definalety; Piula would be on the front line not missing a detail and having a little talk with the Gests :D

AmberLee
03-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Whew. Glad everything is okay for you. {{{hugs}}}

Perchance the Lady Edwina would be more fierce at that early hour if she had ivory silken ninja pajamas to nap in? Just a thought.

:rolleyes: :p ;)

Vio&Juni
03-03-2004, 05:00 AM
Yeah, what would you do without your guard cats? :rolleyes:

Glad, it wasn't anyone :)