PDA

View Full Version : Bad dog breed ban barks up wrong tree......(I love my city)

Shelteez2
03-01-2004, 01:34 PM
http://www.canada.com/calgary/story.asp?id=E9AAD9E8-927C-4E26-A8C9-5E1263D281FA

---------------------------------------------------
Bad dog breed ban barks up wrong tree
'We punish behaviour' -- Bylaw Bill

Calgary's bylaw cops are rejecting moves by other Canadian centres to outlaw so-called dangerous breeds over dog attack fears.

Several municipalities have recently instituted breed-specific legislation that bans or restricts types of dogs considered dangerous, with the County of Newell in southeastern Alberta being one of the latest to consider the tactic.

But Calgary officials believe such laws do not get to the heart of the issue, maintaining their focus on responsible ownership through intensive licensing, hefty fines and education are more effective approaches.

"We don't punish breeds, we punish behaviour," said chief bylaw officer Bill Bruce. "The bottom line is, we believe all dogs are capable of biting."

Jurisdictions in Nova Scotia, Quebec, Ontario and Saskatchewan that have banned the ownership of dogs such as Rottweilers and pit bulls insist it is better to keep such animals out of the community altogether.

But Bruce says Calgary statistics back his approach.

The latest city figures, provided to the Herald, show the number of aggressive dog incidents edged up about eight per cent in 2003 to 592. That included 216 chases, 269 bites and 107 cases of damaged property.

However, the number of such incidents has plunged by two-thirds since 1984, while the dog population has nearly doubled to around 100,000.

"Responsible pet ownership is the number one reason (for the decline)," Bruce added.

Year-earlier stats show Rottweilers, pit bulls and German shepherds are involved in more attacks than other breeds. But officials also point out that there are a large number of the dogs in Calgary, as they are among the most popular breeds.

So of the 2,444 purebred and crossed Rottweilers licensed in the city in 2002, less than five per cent were involved in aggressive dog incidents.

Allison Archambault, of Southern Alberta Rottweiler Rescue, believes people are more likely to report incidents with larger dogs, such as Rottweilers, than smaller pets.

Dog behaviour comes down to good ownership, regardless of breed, Archambault said.

"A household that is not committed to giving these dogs a job, keeping them well exercised and well socialized, like with any other breed of dog, (its) positive qualities quickly become a detriment," she said.

Still, in towns and cities across North America, there is a growing concern of what some breed-ban advocates call a "dog bite epidemic."

In the United States, about five million people are bitten by dogs annually. In Canada, such figures are unknown because they are rarely tracked.

But high-profile attacks, such as the fatal mauling of a four-year-old boy by three Rottweilers last year in New Brunswick, have spurred several communities to either ban or place restrictions on breeds associated with such incidents.

Guysborough, N.S., last month passed a bylaw banning residents from owning Rottweilers.

In January, Moosomin, Sask., outlawed Rottweilers, Dobermans and pit bulls, arguing it will make the town a safer place to live.

A spokeswoman for the Canadian Federation of Humane Societies said the dog bite issue is "a huge concern," but added it is not known whether there is an increasing number of incidents or if people are just hearing about them more.

However, the organization believes breed bans are the wrong way to go.

Rather, it lauds Calgary's approach, citing it as an example for other municipalities.

"Having a strong licensing program, that has a good compliance rate, that has a good enforcement program, certainly does contribute to improving the dog bite situation," said Tanya O'Callaghan, communications co-ordinator for the humane society.

In Calgary, 90 per cent of dogs are licensed, allowing bylaw officers to keep track of pets and owners. The city also has a strict fine structure that includes a $250 penalty for chase incidents and $350 fines for bites.

Officials can have a dog with aggressive tendencies declared "dangerous," a label that carries higher license fees, muzzling rules and age restrictions on the dog's handlers.

A pet can only be destroyed by owner request or a court order.

O'Callaghan said Calgary's approach is better than breed-specific legislation, which can ban good dogs and miss canines that, if raised badly, can still be dangerous.

"It gives a bit of a false sense of security," she added.

The County of Newell, which represents about 10,000 people in the Brooks area, was looking at a bylaw that could place restrictions on certain breeds. However, it is reconsidering the plan and will likely scrap it.

The county received dozens of letters and e-mails from around the world from people who oppose breed restrictions, said deputy reeve Jack Harbinson.

"We decided after listening to the people, they were right," he said. "We don't need to address the dangerous dog issue; we need to address nuisance dogs running free."

[email protected]

wolfie
03-01-2004, 01:41 PM
That's really great that that city is fighting bans on certain breeds of dogs. :) They made a good point, that although certain breeds of dogs top the dog-bite list, those breeds are also very popular.

K9soul
03-01-2004, 01:45 PM
That's great! What a wonderful step in the right direction. I sure wish more cities would follow that example.

I found myself wanting to applaud the statements during the article :p

DogLover9501
03-01-2004, 02:32 PM
Great?? :( They better not ban rotties from here, that will really ruin my 5 years waiting for one!

K9soul
03-01-2004, 02:37 PM
I don't think the banning of certain breeds is great, I think the way Calgary is handling it is great, by not banning breeds, but punishing irresponsible pet owners. That's what the article is mainly about, how Calgary is rejecting the banning of certain breeds. :)

DogLover9501
03-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Ah, I see, had to read it over;) Am a bit slow lol

Well then you're right then--great! lol

cali
03-01-2004, 03:36 PM
that one mentions moosimin but what it says is not exacly true. new dogs of the breed cannot come in, but if you have the breed already there is no problem, as vets spoke out against BSL, any dogs already in the town can stay, its only outside dogs that are banned.

pitbullmommy
03-01-2004, 03:46 PM
i am happy people are fighting back. I really cant stand it when people say pit bulls are mean,people think that just because of the name they are bad. my brother has a terrier mix, he is a small dog but if he doesnt know you he WILL bite you. he is very mean if he doesnt like you. my mom has the same kind of dog. I mean you dont hear about these kinds of dogs only the big ones. another thing is my uncle had a chow chow and my sister lived there and she was playing with him on night, well she got tired and layed on the floor to watch tv and a little while later the dog was sitting there and started growling at her and she went to get up and he bit her 3 times in the face... she had to get over 100 stitches in her faceand she almost lost and eye. I still like those dogs and every other kind of dog... It is all in the way you raise them and socalize them I believe that 100 percent!!!!!! my dogs wouldnt hurt me or anyone else i know. not if they were being teased then i dont know what they would do.but if some one was dumb enought to tease a dog they dont know well maybe they deserve to be bit. or animal abusers(sp)deserve to be bit also.i just want people to realize ANY dog can turn and bit you if provocted. I had to let off some steam. If this dosent make any since im sorry. Ok talk to everyone later .

clara4457
03-01-2004, 10:21 PM
That is good news. We are fighting this in NY state right now. There are a couple of state reps that want to pass a dangerous dog ban.

I have always said that if you put a pit bull into my household, you will have a perfectly lovely pet, if you put a poodle into a house that neglects and abuses it, you will have a aggressive poodle. It is all about the owner, not the dog.

DogLover9501
03-01-2004, 11:04 PM
I completely agree clara!