PDA

View Full Version : We didn't just conquer Tasha's clicker fear..

K9soul
03-01-2004, 01:13 PM
She now LOVES it! She has totally caught up to where I am with Tommy now in the lessons I'm doing with them. I recently taught Tommy to touch a pencil with his nose, just touch it, not try to grab it out of my hand or mouth it, which is what he wanted to do at first. :p Now we have progressed to making the pencil a target. That is where ever the pencil is, near, far, up, or down, they go to it to touch it.

Tasha is not as mouthy as Tommy, so I never had to practice with her about trying to take it from my hand. She had gotten so she wasn't afraid of the click, but still wasn't as enthused as Tommy was, still was slower to move up to the pencil, but today, it's like all her inhibitions just came off at once, and she's performing remarkably, and with enthusiasm! Which is what makes me the happiest of all.

I'm so proud of my pups :)

Shelteez2
03-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Good job!

Emily was slower to learn the clicker training too. But now she's the one who will just throw behaviors at me trying to figure out what it is I want. :)

K9soul
03-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Yeah, Tasha is 5 years old and traditionally trained, so it's taking more for her to get the idea that it's up to her to offer behaviors. She sits and waits for a command, and at first she got kind of stressed when she would be sitting and waiting and no command came.

I could swear I saw the lights really go on in her eyes today though. I'm very excited :)

Shelteez2
03-01-2004, 01:32 PM
You just described Emily to a tee. Only she's 7. She got so stressed out the first time I tried clicker training that I actually gave up on it for awhile. But I'm so glad I went back to it, because I love the way her eyes light up when she's trying to figure out what I want. :)

K9soul
03-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
She got so stressed out the first time I tried clicker training that I actually gave up on it for awhile.

That's exactly how I was feeling, I was starting to think it might just not work out for her, but I'm so glad that I kept with it. Even after she stopped trembling and running for cover when the click came, she was stressed, not knowing what she was supposed to be doing.

Tommy hadn't really had much formal training yet, so he seemed to pick up on it almost immediately. :)

jenfer
03-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Emily was slower to learn the clicker training too. But now she's the one who will just throw behaviors at me trying to figure out what it is I want. :)

Yes, Gigi too. She just likes to offer me her hand since I have taught her "hand". haha. :D

There are more things I want to work on though.

clara4457
03-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Congrats!! That's terrific. Another clicker training convert. :D

K9soul
03-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by clara4457
Another clicker training convert. :D

That's for sure! :D After I read "Click for Joy" I really learned that it's not just a way of training, but a whole different way of looking at your dog's behavior and your relationship with your dog. It's really a 180 degree turn from all that I had been taught before, but it makes so much sense, and it ends up with much happier, uninhibited pups :)

tatsxxx11
03-04-2004, 11:44 AM
How did I miss the happy update!:confused: Great job, Tasha!:D Like learning to ride a bike, at first it seems impossible, then "click," it just seems to sink in! You've worked so hard with T&T on this and you ALL should be commended for a job well done!:) Big smooches and hugs to terrific Tommy and Tasha!:)

Tasha sounds a lot like my Star...a sensitive girl:) The other day Star got beaned by her neon green tennis ball as she was "going out for a pass." Now, when I lift it to throw it for her she cowers and belly crawls over to me, then reaches up to try and kiss me:(:(:( It's like she connects me throwing the ball with her being hurt :( Actually, she's a real diva...lots of bravado and is always trying to take charge, but underneath she's such a baby girl:)

K9soul
03-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Awww poor Star :(. I'm sure she'll lose that association after awhile of more playtimes with it again :)

Tasha is very impressionable like that too.. She has associated a "tsk" or a sigh meaning Mom or Dad are irritated, possibly with her. So I've noticed lately when I'm working and I get frustrated with a doctor or even just with myself because I keep mistyping, I might sigh or make a "tsk" noise to myself, then I notice Tasha slinking out of the room and I feel awful :o

tatsxxx11
03-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Oh Tasha...Mommy could never be mad at you!:) Star sends you happy slurps and Labbie butt wiggles...! P.S...I just tried her out with a red ball...no problem!:D

jenfer
03-05-2004, 11:37 AM
I have been practicing "look at me" lately, as Gigi will LOOK FOR the treat and the clicker. And since yesterday we started "target training". It seems she enjoyed it... and there are times she missed the tip of the stick and touched the stick itself and I have to show her where she should touch. It's quite interesting. :D

K9soul
03-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by jenfer
I have been practicing "look at me" lately, as Gigi will LOOK FOR the treat and the clicker. And since yesterday we started "target training". It seems she enjoyed it... and there are times she missed the tip of the stick and touched the stick itself and I have to show her where she should touch. It's quite interesting. :D

I think it is an enjoyable lession, the target training. It's easy for them to learn, an easy way to earn a yummy treat! :) Good job Gigi!