PDA

View Full Version : Ferrets

wolfsoul
02-29-2004, 05:16 PM
I'm considering getting a ferret one day. I was wondering if someone who has one or knows about them might be able to tell me a bit about them. I'm researching as much as I can, but it's surprising the lack of good sites I can find. I'm also wondering what kind of foods are bad for them.

Thanks in advance! :)

GoldenRetrLuver
02-29-2004, 05:19 PM
I don't know much about Ferrets...but I know they're illegal to own in California. Some people purchase them in Las Vegas, and then "smuggle" them back to CA. :p

I've heard they make wonderful pets, and they're a blast to have. I'll do a search for you! :)

Amber
02-29-2004, 05:29 PM
My moms friend has a ferrert. She says they are a hand full. She said its always getting into somthing, and you cant turn your eyes away from it or it will be in somthing. she says hers likes to get into the kitchen cupboards. hehe but, on other hand they are very cuddly and playful. Always making you laugh.

oh yeah, you have to get them vaccinated just like puppys and kittens. and they can also be spay and neutered :)

wolfsoul
02-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Thanks guys! :)

I definatly know how to handle a handful hehe. Frisco is a little mischief maker. I also have a nice big cage. :D

Amber
02-29-2004, 05:46 PM
hehehe, They also can be litter trained...((I think))

trayi52
02-29-2004, 05:46 PM
I have a ferret. She is just the sweetest little thing. She gets along great with all my dogs and cats. I let her run around in the living room most of the time. Her name is Baby. I have a few pictures of her and one of her with my Rottweiler. They play very well together, of course they grew up together. I think she is about 2 or 3 years old.

But here is one Picture of her: (hope it will post)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/pf4ca673d7663e0ccbf9586a030f451cf/f9e1960e.jpg

Baby and Dana playing together:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pfc1a024e95154a6a02448a32fa9b6f8c/f9b45f09.jpg

She really belongs to my daughter. So I don't know if my daughter is planning on taking her with her when she gets married or not. She says she is..

Willie

wolfsoul
02-29-2004, 05:52 PM
Awww, how adorable! :) What kind of food do you feed her? She's so cute. I really like the picture of her and Dana.

trayi52
02-29-2004, 06:01 PM
I can't remember the name of the food, it is especially for Ferrets though. She does like to sneak into the dogs and the cats food too. She is very sweet, if you ask for kisses, she gives kisses. She will sleep in your lap. She is funny to watch.

She used to love playing with Grover, but now Grover hides from her because she gets too rough for Grover. And Grover is bigger than her!

Me thinks Grover is a wuss...

micki76
02-29-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Me thinks Grover is a wuss...

Nope, he's not a wuss at all. Ferrets have much thicker skin and when they're kits they learn to play a lot rougher than kitties and other pets are used to. In other words, they bite very hard when they play.

Having said that, I will have another ferret one day. :) I prefer females because they're smaller and IMO tend to be more affectionate. My males had very little to do with me.

Ferrets are little thieves and can be a ton of fun and entertainment, but they are a lot of work, too. They can be litter trained quite easily since they poop as soon as they wake and will go to the nearest corner to do so. They back they're hind ends up very high to go, so a special litter box is required. I find that they are happier with at least one other ferret in the family to play with.

They should definitely be spayed or neutered for their health.

trayi52
02-29-2004, 06:21 PM
You are so right Micki, I think it looks funny when they back up to do their job. Baby likes to steal hairbrushes. So there are times when I really have to seach to be able to find my hairbrush.
She takes her nap in the couch.

You are right about the females being smaller.

You can't get one around here that hasn't been spayed or neutered. I don't know whether it is the law or what. Baby was a baby when my husband brought her home to my daughter. And yes they are a lot of work! They have a certain smell that isn't too pleasant if they don't have their bath. Luckily Baby likes having a bath and feels really perky after she has had a bath.

Yes Grover is a wuss.. ;) , but she is my sweet little wuss! ;)

wolfsoul
02-29-2004, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all of the info! :D

lv4dogs
03-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Ive got ferrets, im down to 3 at the moment. They are a handful & expensive! I reccomend buying the book "ferrets for dummies" it is a MUST have for all ferret owners.

There is so much info to learn about these mishivious creatures it is unbelievable. here is just a summary that doesnt even touch the tip of the iceberg.

They are carnivores only they CAN NOT process any non-meat foods at all. They get into EVERYTHING and there intestines are only about the size of a straw so if they get into any foreign objects (which is very common) they almost always end up w/ blockages also caused by non-meat foods (they also can not vomit hairballs so a hairball med is needed frequently) they can also get blockages very easily from hairballs.

they are also known to have adrenal problems which requires surgery. They have to have rabies & canine distemper shots & they NEVER recover from distemper should they ever get it. They can catch some human diseases & illnesses so if your sick stay away from your ferrets.

should they become ill they can deteriorate RAPIDLY, you could have a dead ferret within a day or 2 after being sick. they become dehydrated very rapidly so keep pedalyte on hand & most owners should know how to & have the equipment from the vets on hand at all times to administer sub-q fluids,

They eat a lot & drink a lot so they poop a lot & no fereet is 100% litter box trained, so be prepared to clean up lots of little messes.

there are many ferret foods out there but only some are good, you can also feed a very very good quality KITTEN food but all ferret owners reccomend mixing at least 3 foods, as they are very picky eaters & this gives you another food to feed should your one type be unavailable. I feed a mixture of:
Zupreem
Sheperd & Green
Totally Ferret
Maximum Nutrition for kittens (yup the walmart brand)
Felidae

I also make a concontion of duck soup (includes special canned food from my vet, cooked chicken & broth, kibble, water etc.) this is NEEDED in case your ferret becomes ill, it has tons of nutrients in it BUT you should feed this everyday because again ferrets are picky eaters, if you wait until your ferret is ill he may not take to it & it may be too late.

They sleep a lot (about 18 hours a day) but when they are awake they need excersize & lots of it. they can fit through any opening that their head can (although sometimes they can get stuck 1/2 way whixh can be dangerous) but you have to ferret proof your house (which is hard to do)

finding a vet that is ferret knowledgable can be difficult so make sure youve got one before you get your ferret.

they are social creatures & it is best to have at least 3. they love to be together & can become so severly depressed if they loose a friend that can actually die from depression. Thats why you should have 3, in case you loose one your fert can still have a friend.

I would make sure youve got at least $600.00 or more saved up before you get your ferret. plus make sure youve got back up money or a good vet with payment options in case you require medial care.

I am not talking you out of owning a ferret, they are great pets but they are a handful & tons are in shelters due to the lack of knowledge on them. My ferrets are more expensive & time consuming than my dogs!!!!!

here is a great forum about ferts:
http://www.neeps.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi

i'm chaotic chaos on there!
hope to see you around there!

lv4dogs
03-01-2004, 10:38 AM
I forgot to add that most sold at pet stores in the us are neutered/spayed but if for some reason you get one from a breeder or one that is not spayed, a female ferret will die if she is not spayed or breed. That is a must do!

Aspen and Misty
03-01-2004, 12:46 PM
I told my friend that I was afreid of ferrets, she made me come over to her house and play with hers and I have to admit I'm hooked!!! LOL. They are such SWEET lil critters, hers were females, just lovly little girls! They gave kisses and played with me, and they LOVED to be held like babies (probly cause she did it since they were babies). I have to admit before I didn't even want to hold one and now I don't want to put one down! :D I could definitly see myself owning one, one day.

Good Luck! I hope you find all the info you need. Sorry to add my story but I just HAD to :p

Ash

tikeyas_mom
03-01-2004, 03:34 PM
they need big cages jordan, if you arnt going to have a house ferret, which you arnt because tikeya would give it a heart attack, then you should have a HUGE cage like one for a chinchilla.. or bigger. :)..
Good luck with your research. :).

lv4dogs
03-01-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
they need big cages jordan, if you arnt going to have a house ferret, which you arnt because tikeya would give it a heart attack, then you should have a HUGE cage like one for a chinchilla.. or bigger. :)..
Good luck with your research. :).

jordon has a Tikeya too, that is neat, i have always loved that name:p

but ferrets dont really scare that easily LOL, mine will go after anything lol

wolfsoul
03-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks for all of the info! That's funny that you mentioned the duck soup, I actually found a recipe for that on the net and saved it just incase. :D

I don't have a Tikeya lol, but Jynnelle does, and we're moving out together. :)

The cage I have is fairly big; maybe not big enough, but the ferret wouldn't be inside it all the time. I'd probably give it free run of my room while I'm at home (with the door closed lol, Tikeya would want to eat him :p ). I have a picture of the cage somewhere....I would hang a nice big hammock in it. :)

wolfsoul
03-01-2004, 04:04 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid71/paec3ea266e9331fe9ce213877e7eb8ad/fb885b07.jpg
This is the cage I have. I wouldn't leave the bottom the eay it is though, since it's a wire bottom. I'd cover it up so the ferret wouldn't get hurt. And I'd hang a hammock in it, so there's a comfy second floor. :p Is this cage good enough?

Rio and Me
03-01-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi I'm getting a ferret soon too.
I've got to travel a small way to a rescue centre because they dont sell them in any petshop around here.
i'm buying a large cage the day i get one etc.
I only want one possibly 2.
It will be out with me when i'm home and take for short walks.
I cant wait to get one he he
Ky and Rio

Aspen and Misty
03-01-2004, 09:02 PM
My rats live in a large 3 story Ferret cage. I would probly (hopeing they NEVER do) wait till my ratties go ( :( ) then get a ferret, that way I don't have to spend all that money on the cage!!! (and I have like 2 or 3 years to research!)

I dunno about your cage Jordan, Ferrets need fairly large cages, although, I am no expert.

Ash

tutebugs
03-01-2004, 09:29 PM
I have 2 ferrets and am more then willing to get any information you need....I have four messengers, if you'd like to know one of the to contact me just let me know.

Rio and Me
03-02-2004, 04:45 AM
Tutebugs i would like to PM you and ask a few small questions is that allright?
Ky and Rio

lv4dogs
03-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Wolfsoul, that cage would be allright for one ferret & only short term until you could afford a bigger cage. maybe rig it up so you have another floor in there? And as long as you give your fert plenty of out time.

& yes be very very careful w/ the fert around tikeya, or any other dog that has a strong prey drive.

wolfsoul
03-02-2004, 12:48 PM
I have some extra wire on hand. It's good quality stuff. I'm sure that I could build another floor to it. :D I'm going to measure the cage later. :)

lv4dogs
03-02-2004, 01:31 PM
zip ties!!! they are great to keep on hand for tons of things, but i have used hundreds of them since i got my ferts (1.5 years ago). you could zip tie the wire (just make sure the wire is tough enough to withstand their weight, you dont want it if it sag) to the cage but use lots if ties though.
then you can get carpet remnant & lay it or zip tie it to the floor, but for the bottom floor (you can use it for the top floor too) i would use linoleum.
good luck, any /'s let me know, you can pm me too. I have made cages before & remodeled them & attatched them to other cages etc...

did you get your fuzzie yet??? they are great pets!:D

tikeyas_mom
03-02-2004, 01:48 PM
tikey wont be going into jordans room ;). At least not while im around. She has a cat and rats so I am going to be extra weary around them. I have rats to thoug, so as long as they are out of Tikeyas reach then it will be ok. Siberian huskies are very crafty and will find a way to get in a cage that is at their eye leve, so I would suggest to Jordan right now that she keep it up. VERY high.... for its safty.

tutebugs
03-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Rio and Me
Tutebugs i would like to PM you and ask a few small questions is that allright?
Ky and Rio

That would be just fine...feel free

lv4dogs
03-02-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
tikey wont be going into jordans room ;). At least not while im around. She has a cat and rats so I am going to be extra weary around them. I have rats to thoug, so as long as they are out of Tikeyas reach then it will be ok. Siberian huskies are very crafty and will find a way to get in a cage that is at their eye leve, so I would suggest to Jordan right now that she keep it up. VERY high.... for its safty.

i know the husky thing, believe me LOL (my fav breed) But i was also reffering to the ferts as they are very very sneeky (nothing compared to huskys LOL) they will try to explore evry nook & cranny & will try to escape everytime the door opens.

but i would just keep the door closed instead of putting the cage up high, unless you have it secured well, as ferts are bigger than rats & can sometimes wiggle the cage off of a base thats too small, plus it if were to fall that could cause injuries.

tikeyas_mom
03-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs
i know the husky thing, believe me LOL (my fav breed) But i was also reffering to the ferts as they are very very sneeky (nothing compared to huskys LOL) they will try to explore evry nook & cranny & will try to escape everytime the door opens.

but i would just keep the door closed instead of putting the cage up high, unless you have it secured well, as ferts are bigger than rats & can sometimes wiggle the cage off of a base thats too small, plus it if were to fall that could cause injuries.

I rather have jordan keep the cage up high with a small risk of it falling then have it on the ground where Tikeya will get a hold of the cage and terrorise the poor ferret...

wolfsoul
03-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by lv4dogs

did you get your fuzzie yet??? they are great pets!:D
Oh nooo lol, not yet. ;) This won't be for quite some time. My mom said that I can get whatever pet I want next year (we got in a big fight today because they have dumbo rats at the pet shop that I want :( ), and I'm going to take that literally. She probably means next year after I move out, but she didn't mention the moving out part, so too bad for her.

tikeyas_mom
03-02-2004, 10:15 PM
i'd get her to write it down adn then sign it in blood haha.

BitsyNaceyDog
03-03-2004, 09:21 AM
I had a ferret, she passed away at 6 years old. Yes they are very fun pets. They love to nibble at your feet while playing. It is a law (at least in florida) that a female ferret has to be spayed before she can be sold in a pet store (they are tattooed). I rescued mine, I'm not sure where the prevous owners had gotten her, but she was spayed. I'm not sure about the males having to be neutered.

Ferrets are closely related to skunks, so they have an oder. I cleaned her cage daily and cleaned up poo several times a day. I just used newspaper, it was easy and cheep.

I feed her Marshals ferret diet. I also gave her Marshals Ferret vitamins daily. She loved her vitamins and always waited for them in the mornings.

She died from adrenal Gland disease, which is common in ferrets. She lost a lot of hair and had an enlarged vulva. She ate great and kept up a healthy weight. The day before she passed she slowed down, not wanting to play or even eat much, we knew she was on her last few days. i was getting ready to take her to the vet, I was going to have her put down, so she would die peacefully, and not suffer. Before I left, my husband and I were saying goodbye to her, kissing her, and telling her that we love her. She died right there in our arms. It was very peaceful. We miss her, but arn't looking to get another ferret anytime soon.

lv4dogs
03-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by KBlaix
I had a ferret, she passed away at 6 years old. Yes they are very fun pets. They love to nibble at your feet while playing. It is a law (at least in florida) that a female ferret has to be spayed before she can be sold in a pet store (they are tattooed). I rescued mine, I'm not sure where the prevous owners had gotten her, but she was spayed. I'm not sure about the males having to be neutered.

Ferrets are closely related to skunks, so they have an oder. I cleaned her cage daily and cleaned up poo several times a day. I just used newspaper, it was easy and cheep.

I feed her Marshals ferret diet. I also gave her Marshals Ferret vitamins daily. She loved her vitamins and always waited for them in the mornings.

She died from adrenal Gland disease, which is common in ferrets. She lost a lot of hair and had an enlarged vulva. She ate great and kept up a healthy weight. The day before she passed she slowed down, not wanting to play or even eat much, we knew she was on her last few days. i was getting ready to take her to the vet, I was going to have her put down, so she would die peacefully, and not suffer. Before I left, my husband and I were saying goodbye to her, kissing her, and telling her that we love her. She died right there in our arms. It was very peaceful. We miss her, but arn't looking to get another ferret anytime soon.

sorry to hear about loosing your cutie, ferts sure do bring lots of joy!
just had too add a couple things about your post
Ferrets closely related to skunks? Not true. Both ferrets and skunks used to be classified as belonging to the family Mustelidae, but recent evidence has suggested that skunks began to evolve far earlier than had at first been believed. As a result, skunks are now considered sufficiently different to justify having their own family. Skunks are now classified as Mephitidae and so are no longer members of the mustelid family.

Marshalls ferret food is an ok diet to feed but it contains a lot of fish ingredients which make their feces smell worse, most ferret knowledgable people feed other premium diets to help with the odor & some diets are way better for your ferts.

Adrenal disease (mentioned in one of my other replys) is treatable with surgery, even w/ out surgery the vet can give vaccies of either melatonin or lupron which helps the adrenal gland kind of "last longer" to postpone surgery for pets that are too ill to undergo anesthesia or possibly other problems/incedents that may not make them probable canidates for surgery.

But 6 years is not too common of an age for ferrets to pass on. Although If cared & medicated for properly a ferret ussually lives to 8 years of age.