PDA

View Full Version : Weight gain

Lissa
02-29-2004, 04:48 PM
I posted in health a few days ago but haven't gotten a response so I was wonderin if anyone could tell me if it is normal for a dog to gain wieght when they are in heat. She packed on 3 pounds in a week, and she has been about the same wieght for 2 months so it was really sudden and no reason. She has been just as active.
Thanks

trayi52
02-29-2004, 04:54 PM
I don't know if I could help or not. It doesn't sound normal for them to put on weight though.

How old is your dog? Are you planning on having her spayed? It does get pretty tiresome if you don't get her spayed. And It is better for their health if you have them spayed.

All my years though I have never see them gain weight, when they were in heat. They stay in heat 21 days. The only time I have seen them gain weight is when they are pregnant.
Any chance of that?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help than that.

Willie

Lissa
02-29-2004, 05:17 PM
there is no chance of her being pregnant. She is 10 to 11 months the best we can tell, and is most definetly getting spayed.
We had an app. but didn't make it that far. I don't know how people can not get dogs spayed...its a pain in the butt! And you were of help because if you've never seen it then maybe I just need to watch her food intake more, maybe since she's not really growing anymore she doesn't need as much food.

Karen
02-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Yes, I've never heard of weight gain while being in heat. She may be being less active, so doesn't need as much food ... good luck on keeping her safe and yourselves sane through this heat, and be glad you'll not have to go through it again! :)

wolfsoul
02-29-2004, 05:49 PM
Female dogs' bodies generally go through a fake pregnancy after they are in heat. Some have it worse than others. Alot won't even have any symptoms. I believe that Tikeya (Tikeyas_mom's dog) was even producing milk when she went through her fake pregnancy. I don't know if it can happen while they are in the middle of their heat though.

Tonya
02-29-2004, 05:57 PM
I know I gain weight during my woman time. lol. Give her some midol, it helps with bloating. :p hehe

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for you. I don't know much about heat cycles.

wolfsoul
02-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
I know I gain weight during my woman time.
LOL, same here!

Lissa
02-29-2004, 06:01 PM
Thats why I was wondering because a lot of women gain wieght I didn't know if it might be the same. I'm just goin to watch her food intake. Thanks everyone!