PDA

View Full Version : Gutter Cat

catnapper
02-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Oh, I am going to have a Naw-Tee kitty for the summer. Once again, we had a beautiful spring day... I opened the door to the balcony off the bedroom. I looked out today and saw Allen, but no Pouncer. My heart pounded as I looked over the edges for him. Thank goodness, he didn't fall or try to jump... but he was sitting in the gutter! As nice as can be, and as happy as can be just sitting in that narrow trench of a gutter. I pulled him out and sent him back in the house with a stern "bad cat!"

I look out again and didn't see any animals. I knew Pouncer wouldn't have resisted slipping back outside, so I once again looked over the railing, and found my kitty sitting in the gutter on the other side (I guess he figured Bad Cat only pertainined to one side of the gutter.)

Does anyone have any ideas on keeping Pouncer out of the gutter? I thought of chicken wire around the outside, but the bugger would climb over it... making his chances of really getting hurt much higher.

I'm hoping that he grows a great deal in the next month or so (he has grown a ton in the last month) so that next time I open the doors he won't be able to fit through the slats in the railing. Allen doesn't have a prayer of slipping through them - he's too "fluffy"

PS: The gutters are well secured. We had them replaced this past year after a serous storm, so I"m not worried about them giving way under his weight, I'm worried about him slipping. I also know that he'd not even attempt to jump. I'm petrified of him falling :eek:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-01-2004, 07:44 PM
You might want to PM Kelly (Noah's Mommy). They built a beautiful "cage" for their kitties on their patio. I remember seeing at least 3 of her kitties in there at one time, along with a plant and a small cat tree or something for them to play with/lay on, so it's good size. If Pouncer had one of these, he could be outside to his heart's content without worrying one bit about him.

I know she had posted photos, but that was awhile ago and I don't remember what the thread was called so I wouldn't know what to search for. But if you PM her, she could probably send pics directly to you.

Good luck because we sure don't want anything happening to that naw-tee but adorable little Pouncer. :)

catmandu
03-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Cats are just attracted to things like Gutters and when I was young , ditches. Now you either have to be in a Rural area , or old to remember ditches , but our Cats used to delve in the ditches , either to catch mice , or just being nosy Parkers ,as my Mother used to say!