PDA

View Full Version : The "Rescue" I foster for.....

kimlovescats
02-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Over the course of the past year, I have learned more about the rescue that I am helping out, but there are new concerns.

I first heard about this place when the owner called me in response to my very first ad in the paper for cats for adoption. I immediately realized that she was scoping out the "competition" ... as many questions were asked, and the whole tone of the conversation made it more than obvious. I made it clear that my rescue was a mission of love, I had no need or desire to make a profit. She assured me that she was a non-profit organization as well and that she was in it solely for the animals. This rescue takes in ANYTHING! Dogs, Cats, Horses, Lizards, Rabbits, Snakes, Ferrets, Pigs,........ you name it!

Because my adoptions were way down and this organization had lots of exposure .... website, Petfinder, and lots of local exposure, and MOST importantly, the use of 5 cages at our local PetSmart.... I decided to let them help place some of my kitties. They would get all monies for the adoption fees, I just wanted my rescues to get great homes!

I have only visited this rescue's facility once. I was not thrilled by any means, but I tried to have a positive outlook about the set-up as compared to the alternatives .... the pound and death!!! :(
The rescue is run by a young woman (20-something) and her boyfriend. They rent a house with acreage, and have all the pets on the land and in the home. The dogs are in pens all over the property with dog houses, and straw ... but you can imagine the mud and yuck when the weather is not perfect! :eek: This one time that I visited was back last summer, in the HEAT of the season! I don't know if you remember little Timmy .... the tiny black and white that I took in who was severely dehydrated? I had posted pics of me giving him subcue fluids. Well, anyway, this was one that I insisted on pulling from her care!

S. (owner) had built a cat enclosure, but it was outside under one small tree, and the afternoon scorching hot sun was right in the enclosure... not to mention the FLIES!!! Litter pans, food and water bowls were all in there in close proximity and the kittens were numerous! It was atrocious to see the flies all over the litter box and food and kittens, and ME! :eek:

Ok.... at that point I just knew that first, I needed to get Timmy out of there, and I did!!! He grew and thrived in my care and eventually was adopted from PetSmart! Without wanting to stir up trouble or hurt S.'s feelings, I mentioned my concerns about the cats being out in the heat. She then said she would bring them indoors or on her carport, but they were stuck in kennels! Finally, she got the deal with PetSmart, so I was relieved! At that point I INSISTED that any of my rescues went STRAIGHT to PetSmart, NOT to her home, and that's what has happened. The deal with Amber .... is that I had a feeling she had not been picked up and so I called and questioned S. Sure enough, she was sitting back in a kennel at S.'s house! :mad: :( This is when I insisted that she return Amber to me, and she did.

OK.... now the latest revelation!!! S. has recently been issued a warrant for her arrest .... for animal cruelty, neglect, etc..... PetSmart has banned her from using their facilities, and the pound is performing regular searches of her property. :eek:

Here is where I am ...... STUCK in between a rock and a hard place!!!! Do I cut all ties with her and her rescue, to possibly prevent an investigation of my home as well .... or do I continue taking in her cats / kittens for the BABIES' sakes!!!???? I know that S. is desperately trying to get her animals moved out of her home, so that they are not confiscated by the humane control. :(
Plus, there is the chance that if I make S. mad.... she will stir up trouble for me .... then I would be the subject of scrutiny!!!!
:( continued below... sorry it's so long

kimlovescats
02-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Now, most recently, as you have read .... she brings me these baby kittens who have had their throats sliced!!!! I spoke with my vet (who also knows S.) and we neither one think that S. had anything to do with hurting the kittens. I really think that S. loves animals, and has good intentions, but she is soooo young, and has taken on far more than she can handle financially!!!!
I have hoped along the way (as a mother) that I could somehow help her learn and grow, and at the same time help the kitties! But now I am in the midst of this and don't know what to do!!!:confused: She assured me that she only has about 3 more cats at her place, and is trying to get them adopted asap. I keep telling her NOT to take in anymore right....but I can't get a solid commitment from her on this!:(

So what should I do, my PT friends? My heart says be faithful to the kitties and keep taking what I can handle, and pray for a resolve for the well-being of the animals! This is where my Faith in God has to step in!!!!

catmandu
02-29-2004, 01:11 PM
That is thevhardest part , as I am sure that these people have thier hearts , in the right place , but have bitten , off more than they can chew. I know that there are people who say that about me , but I know now that 14 , is my limit. Health , does not allow me to take any more , and they are all provided for , in my will.

jenluckenbach
02-29-2004, 01:12 PM
OK. If it were me, I would slip away from her without making waves. Because I could not take the chance of being tied to someone who is investigated for cruelty, the odds are that will come to haunt you in the worst of ways.
Since doing rescue on your own is really way too much to handle is there another organization you could choose to deal with? That would be my first step. Even your local SPCA might be a place you can volunteer with. If they can find foster homes they might need to put less animals to death. And Petco will no doubt be willing to offer those cages to another local group because I am sure they want to help the animals.

kimlovescats
02-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Jen, that is the very problem. There are only a hand full of other rescues around here, and they are sooooooo overly full, they won't even answer their phones!!!! It is very frustrating!!! :(
I don't even think we have a local SPCA..... or I've never heard of it??? :confused: Only thing I know of is our Humane Rabies Control .... high-kill pound!!!!:mad:

Don't forget..... our county is the one who only recently did away with the animal "drop boxes"!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :( So, our "improvement" is that the animals don't have to be dropped in boxes overnight with others that may harm or kill them, they just get put in cages for a few days until they are PTS!!!:(

jenluckenbach
02-29-2004, 02:21 PM
This is my point exactly. They could more than likely use people willing to house some animals (vs. the type who just want to drop them off).. I do know how frustrating it is to get these type of people to get back to you, but persistance may pay off. Try a visit to the shelter or an old fashioned paper letter. Let them know you are trying to HELP with the over crowding, not add to it.

PayItForward
02-29-2004, 03:16 PM
I was wondering this lady sounds like a nightmare, if they LET her show pets in Petco. Would they let you use the cages directly for your fosters ?!?

(Seeing as Petco won't let their cages be used by the lady who is being investigated for cruelty)

I agree with Jen, I would try and drift away, maybe change your number and forget to hand it out to her.

Or have a full house when she tries to palm another cat on you , unless you want it.

But you know this lady, we don't. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

PS. What are animal drop off boxes ?

kimlovescats
02-29-2004, 03:46 PM
PIF.... the animal drop boxes were HORRIBLE things that I'm ashamed to say were used for years in my county. They were concrete buildings with one-way chute type doors for people to "dispose of" their unwanted pets!!! :mad: There were two sides, one simply said Dogs and one said Cats ..... healthy, diseased, grown, baby, vicious, calm, alive and dead .... were all easily dumped into these bins, and left until the next pick-up time by our "humane" rabies control. :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :(
Finally, our community became outraged and had these awful bins closed down .... one step in the right direction .... and our current rabies control / humane society is raising money to build a much larger facility ... but they are still a Looooooong way from goal!:(

Our PetSmart only allows 401(c)3 .... non-profit organizations, place pets in their cages. They like it because it is a tax write-off for the store! :rolleyes: It's all about money in this world, isn't it??? :rolleyes: :mad: :(

PayItForward
02-29-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
There were two sides, one simply said Dogs and one said Cats ..... healthy, diseased, grown, baby, vicious, calm, alive and dead .... were all easily dumped into these bins, and left until the next pick-up time by our "humane" rabies control
Left alone....how long ?? That is horrible how awful :( :mad:
It sounds like a nightmares :( :mad:

I am so pleased they don't have them any more.
Those animals must be so scared & hurt :( :( :(

Our PetSmart only allows 401(c)3 .... non-profit organizations, place pets in their cages. :( [/B]
What about becoming a non-profit organization ?

It is not like you make a profit, any money raised would go into new rescues.

http://www.snpo.org/resources/startup.php#whatis

catcrazylady
02-29-2004, 05:35 PM
OMG! What a scary situation. Kim if it were me and you are able I would take what cats she has left and then stay away from her for awhile. If worse comes to worse and you were to be investigated I find it hard to believe that any fault could be found in your home. Your vet knows you and knows your kindness. Your cats are all healthy and well fed. What I can see from your pictures it looks like you have a beautiful home as well. I really don't think anything bad will happen to you. I think you just look like a loving person who has been trying to help out by fostering kittens for this woman. Anyone familiar with rescue work would not think you have too many cats. The director of our shelter has 20 cats of her own and is fostering another 24. I really don't see how they could do anything to you.
Are there ANY good rescue groups close even if they are not right in your immediate area? If you can find any in the phone book then call them. If you can find someone to talk to you may be able to get some advice or maybe even help.
My heart is breaking for you and the whole sad situation. It sounds like this S. started off with good intentions but became overwhelmed. It sure sounds like there is a desperate need for something in your area.
Prayers are on the way for you and all those lost animals. Let us know what you decide to do. I really think everything will be fine.

trayi52
02-29-2004, 06:08 PM
If anything Kim, they should give you a medal for taking these cats to a better place. I don't think you have anything at all to worry about.

You take too good of care of your fosters to get into any trouble! They would be an igorant bunch to try to find something wrong with what you do. If anything, worry about them bring the rest of them all to you.

State of Tn, is a funny place isn't it Kim? Its people like you that make a difference in this state.

Willie:)

moosmom
03-01-2004, 02:09 AM
Kim,

I think you answered your own question:

"My heart says be faithful to the kitties and keep taking what I can handle"

I also think that CCL AND Jen have good points. Offer to take in the rest of the cats and kittens from her then slowly slip away without creating waves.

If there is anything I can do on my end (including fostering), please let me know.

K & L
03-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Kim
I’m just now reading this post. Your cause for concern is legitimate. These people may have had good intentions, but when an animal isn’t provided proper shelter, vet care, etc. then this is NOT animal rescue. Apparently these people were not providing the needed vet care, first examination, testing, etc. If I were you I would have nothing to do with them. I would get any of your fosters out of there, and not worry about upsetting this woman. From what you have described, they do not have the animal’s well-being in mind. You are doing nothing wrong, so I don’t think you would have anything to worry about as far as investigating you. I would almost rather see an animal put down than live in intolerable conditions. This is not humane and they are suffering.

Have you tried contacting any other organizations for shelter/foster referrals, such as Allie Cat Allies? They may be able to lead you to organizations that you can work with. I know this has got to be VERY difficult for you. Remember you can’t save the world, so help what you now have. Don’t take on what you can’t handle.

I admire people like yourself and Jen that provide these animals with a good loving place until they can have a home. Good Luck!

kimlovescats
03-01-2004, 05:22 PM
After speaking with my husband and thinking a long hard time, I have cut all ties with this rescue. Unfortunately that meant that I had to hand over her kittens back to her care. :( HOWEVER, my vet is aware of the situation, as well as the Emergency vet who cared for the kittens the other night, and I plan on checking on these babies for quite some time!!!! It nearly killed me to let them go, but their momma cat is taking good care of them, and I think they will be fine. Little boy Tuxie was already trying to learn to use the potty box, such a smart tiny boy!!! I really can't talk about this any further, it hurts so much to have had to let them go. Please pray that they will be ok.... one thing is for sure now ... S. is under the microscope, so she HAS to provide excellent care from here on!!!

jenluckenbach
03-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Sometimes the best thing to do is the HARDEST thing to do. We'll all pray for the babies and also for you. You WILL find a place and a way to help more kitties.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Oh Kim, I'm so sorry all of this is happening. You seemed so happy to be working with this rescue and getting kittens in again to help, and I can only imagine the heartbreak at having to hand over Bearess and Tiny Tuxie (nooooooo!). I hope and pray that like you say, now that she is under the microscope that all her animals get only the best of care.

As for worrying about being investigated yourself, the best approach might be instead of waiting for them to come to you, go to them and tell them what you're trying to do and ask for help in setting up a non-profit organization. A lot of counties/cities/states offer free help to new businesses to help get them up and running.

Here (http://www.state.tn.us/sos/forms/fg-np.pdf) is a link to information on what is needed to set up a non-profit in Tennessee. This might seem like a lot of work in the beginning, and will take money - probably to pay a lawyer to set up the non-profit correctly - but in the long run it will only benefit you and what you are trying to do for the kitties. If you need any help, please feel free to contact me. I'm no expert but I will be happy to help however I can.

{{{Hugs}}} to you because I know you're going through a tough time after having to give those sweeties back. :(

Steffi N
03-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Kim, I can't add more advice but here are {{HUGS}} for you and hopes that this time little Bearess and Tuxie will get decent care.