PDA

View Full Version : Many Thx + Prayers

K9karen
02-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks so much Souraya and Kim (Catnapper)for the AK and MS quarters. They arrived at a special time. I wasn't going to say anything on PT but I want to explain why I haven't been active.
Of course Logan, Sandra, Rachel, Pam and Jackie have heard the whole scenario for months and have been a constant source of compasion and encouragement.

My mom had a mild case of shingles in Oct 02 before my dad died and ever since then, tho she's had no pain, her legs got weaker and weaker until about 3 weeks ago, she was almost totally unable to walk without help. My brother and I barely got her out of bed and to the doctors. We talked her into a hospital stay (1st time in her life) in order to get a slew of tests done at one time.

For her age (83) all was fine. A lung biopsy showed mucus due to a lifetime of allergies and sinus problems and she was put on antibiotics. Our family doctor (don't go there) told me to put her in a nursing home, but I spoke to her neurologist who had her re-evaluated for phys. therapy. (She had been in bed at the hospital for 8 days so how could they conclude she'd never walk again?)

So. right now, since Tues, she's in a rehab. Of course it really is a nursing home/rehab and the memories of my dad (whose problems were mental and physical at that point) brings back horrendous, sad memories.

Altho her therapy is only 1 1/2 hrs a day since Thurs (she was too upset, tired and had a low oxygen leven the first 2 days) I praying that her stint will be over in 2 weeks.

She had been so sick, our weekly hairdressers/lunch "date" was cancelled for 6 weeks so she looked terrible. Today after lunch, since I was the "wheelchair driver", I took her outside, got her into my car, folded, lifted the wheelchair and off we went for a day of beauty and early dinner. Despite her protests, she said she was so glad I took her. Even the nurses said she looked so different and gorgeous.

So, I've been spending 4 hours in the morning and at night, running home to cater to my sweet, loving Klo, who is off schedule and bewildered.

Tomorrow (Sunday) my do nothing brother will spend the day with her. I left my ankle weights so he could work with her until therapy on Monday (I also work with her at night). We are bound and determined to get her home as soon as possible and strong enough to at least dress herself (she also tore her shoulder rotator cuff) and use the loo without help. I may need neck/back surgery, but until then, my personal physical therapist has promised to see her either at home or at his office.

Anyway, my unemployment is over in April, but I made a solemn promise to stay home and help her out. My boyfriend is a big help too. He can actually carry her!

So, you see, she was so thrilled about 2 quarters!! She was so astounded that Souraya sent one all the way from Germany and that Kim (who went to college around the corner from my house...small world!!!!) took the time to look for one too!!

She thanks you from the bottom of her heart and so do I. Please forgive me for not responding to your threads but my prayers are always with you all, in happy, sad, good and bad times.

Please say a prayer that she doesn't give up. She's kind of depressed and anxious. I'd really appreciate it.

Lots of Love
Karen

PS..I still need Maine LOL!!!

zippy-kat
02-28-2004, 11:26 PM
*waves hands over head*
I HAVE MAINE!

Hope everything goes smoothly for you from here on out!

{{hugs}}
Zip

PS PM me your address!

lovemyshiba
02-28-2004, 11:49 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your mom Karen, but she sounds like tough cookie!! And she has a wonderful daughter who loves her very much, and is taking such good care of her.

I hope her therapy progresses well, and news is good from here on out.
Please update us when you can, I am sure you are busy and exhausted.
You and your mother will be in my prayers.

moosmom
02-29-2004, 12:14 AM
K9Karen,

I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. She is so VERY lucky to have you!!

I got your PM. I have Arkansas, Maine and a brand spanking new Michigan quarter which I will send out first thing Monday morning.

Your and your Mom will be in my thoughts and prayers. Let me know when the quarters arrive, if you can that is. And hang in there. I'm sure that with your love, devotion and your Mom's positive attitude, she'll be home in no time!

(((((hugs)))))

Donna

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-29-2004, 05:44 AM
Karen, I am sorry to hear about your mom. She is very lucky to have you. Sadly, not many kids stick around to take care of their parents when they need them the most.

Tell your mom that she is most welcome. And if there is anything else that she or you would like from Germany, please don't hesitate to ask!

You and your mom will be in my thoughts!

jenluckenbach
02-29-2004, 06:03 AM
What can I say but Hugs and Prayers are coming your way.

Pam
02-29-2004, 07:37 AM
Karen, thank you for posting this here! When I didn't receive an update today I wondered and then I found this. I know lots of PTers love and support you and have been concerned and wondering. How nice that the quarters have been found too! What a great bunch of folks we have here, huh?! Karen, you and your mom remain in my prayers as aways. ((((HUGS)))) Here's hoping that Mom will respond well to her therapy and return home soon. Won't Klo be a happy pupster when the household returns to normal! Keep your chin up my friend!

ChrisH
02-29-2004, 07:54 AM
Oh, Karen, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. As others have said, she really is lucky to have you.

I hope the physiotherapy goes well and I am sure that, combined with all your love and devotion, will be enough to bring her back to her old self, be well, and home soon.

You and your Mom are in my thoughts and prayers.

Big hugs to you both.

Chris

catnapper
02-29-2004, 10:05 AM
Oh Karen! I knew that your mom was ill, but I had no idea! I'm glad I was able to help just that much. I'll continue to look for new quarters. I'm sorry that your unemployemnt runs out next month, can you file for an extension? My unemployment's up at the end of April too. Somehow, these things always work out.

Prayers coming your way for you and your mother... and your wonderful boyfriend who is there for both of you.

~Kim

dukedogsmom
02-29-2004, 10:18 AM
I'm so sorry about your mom. I didn't know she was having difficulties and all. I had been wondering where you've been! Duke's been missing his girlfriend. It must be hard having her sick like that. I hope she progresses well and cheers up. And, I thought it would be neat to put Klo and Duke in a signature. So, lets find some good pics and see what we can do. Maybe that would cheer you up. I know your mom appreciates all you're doing for her. I hope she can go home soon!

gini
02-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Dear Karen, bless you for being such a wonderful daughter.

You can be sure you have my prayers for rehabilitation for your Mom - a good new job for you, when the time comes and peace in your household.

I did look for your quarters, but did not find them. I am happy that our great group of Pet Talker's found them and sent them to you. It looks as though Tonya has the last one you need.

Big hugs to you - wonderful daughter and wonderful Pet Mom.

Cinder & Smoke
04-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Karen (K9karen) sent this PM today...

...been off PT so long I had to re-log on...
:eek:

Mom was so sick we had to readmit her to hospital March 12 -
finally diagnosed with Myasthenia Gravis so she's fatigued and incontinent and has blurred vison since it affects all muscle groups. She's still on O2 and hasn't been to PT for awhile cause she's so weak. (Aristotle Onassis died from it...)

My goal is to eventually get her home regardless of what I have to do.
I swore I wouldn't give up on her.
Found 2 great new doctors who are fighting like heck for her.
Thank God I have my Logan...
I miss my mom, regardless of my age...
I see her 2x a day for 3-4 hours to encourage her.

Thanks for the prayers.
Tell the PT peoples I miss them...
will try to check in.
I promise to clean out my PM's...
thought I did... oops...
I'm a packrat!!!!
{{{HUGS}}}} K9K"

OK, Karen - Message Delivered! ;)

Now let's all fire up the Pet Talk Prayer Machine -
light up the Candles, cross some Paws & Fingers,
and help Mom get BETTER!

{{{HUGS}}} to You and Mom, Karen!

carole
04-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Dearest Karen, I had no idea you were going through this, you were so kind to me when I needed it, I just want you to know I am here for any support you feel necessary, and please don't hesitate to pm me anytime.

Take care sweetie, you are in my thoughts, and I sure hope your mother improves. GIANT HUGS TO YOU.

slick
04-04-2004, 09:01 PM
I'm lighting a candle as we speak. Pet Talk Prayers do work miracles and I just know that her Mom will get better. Thanks for posting Phred.

lovemyshiba
04-04-2004, 09:54 PM
I will of course, continue to keep Karen and her dear mother in my prayers.

My mother in law has that very same condition--Myasthenia Gravis, but it hasn't taken a huge toll on her yet.

{{{hugs to Karen and Logan}}}

Cincy'sMom
04-04-2004, 09:59 PM
Karen, You and your mom our in our thoughts and prayers

K9karen
04-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks, Phred for taking the time to do the update for me...
Mom was just put back on steroids (she's scared of them so we didn't tell her) as well as a higher dose of the med used to treat the disease. It helped a teeny bit but her legs are still like rubber bands when she tries to stand up and use the walker. John and I were going to bring Klo to see her this weekend but decided that she would be too restless after awhile with all the strange noises and people. (Klo, not my mother :rolleyes: )

Thanks everyone..I never dreamed of having to go through all the medical and legal mumbo jumbo again so soon after dad died. :(
BTW.. to make matters sadder...April 2 was the year anniversay that Cody went to RB..seems like yesterday :( :(

shais_mom
04-04-2004, 11:10 PM
For some reason I missed this thread the first time and I am sorry for that Karen!!!
What an ordeal. You are an awesome woman!! I will continue to keep you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers.
I know how it feels just like yesterday I heard about sweet Cody. This ordeal with my grandma has brought back floods of memories of my Shaianne.

Albea
04-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Dear Karen,
You and your mom are still in my prayers. With best wishes for the new doctors to find a way to make her feel better very soon.
Many hugs.
Alicia

PayItForward
04-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Thinking of you and your mum. :( May she come home very soon.

robinh
04-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Wow, you've been having a tough time. I do know what it's like having and taking care of an ill parent. It's very hard on your body and your spirit. Make sure to take care of yourself in the meantime. It won't help her if you get sick.

Many prayers for her and for you.

dukedogsmom
04-05-2004, 03:30 PM
I'm glad you checked back in with us! Have been wondering how you've been and your mom as well. Sorry you and your mom are having such trouble. And I'm sure Klo misses you but she must understand how much you love her, too. Hope you can find time to visit us more often. Maybe we can make you feel better :)

K9karen
04-05-2004, 11:24 PM
I must be in worse shape than I thought...I got Cody's anniversary date wrong. April 2 was when I was laid off and the 3rd was hell day :(