PDA

View Full Version : Why do cats do this?

Kirsten
02-28-2004, 01:34 PM
So far, all of my cats do/did the same thing: when they are resting and you touch them from behind - I know you're not supposed to do that, but sometimes they are just too cute to resist - they would make this little sweet sound, something like "rrrrrr". Sounds familiar to anyone here? :)

Why do they do that? Is because they feel disturbed, or are they surprised? Or - since it sounds so friendly - is it their way to say "hi"?

What's your theory?

Kirsten

trayi52
02-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Kirsten, Grover does that too! Sometime I just can't resist patting her behind. She will be standing on my desk eating, and there is that little behind showing with that funny looking tail of hers sticking almost straight up. I just can't resist the temptation, and have to give her a pat, pat on that little behind. She just looks at me as if to say 'please don't touch the butt', I don't know if that is what you are talking about or not.

But I just can't resist! She is just so darn cute, when she is standing or laying down!

Willie

Kirsten
02-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Yes, it must be something like that, even though I don't touch their butt, but their neck or back and they would do that! :) I think when they feel disturbed, it's their own fault because they are just too cute! :)

Kirsten

trayi52
02-28-2004, 02:14 PM
Well I actually pat her behind, you know like pat, pat. She does a thing that sounds like ummmeoww, to me. I just say Um back at her. God I love that cat! Do you ever worry about losing them? I don't know what I would do without Grover now.

Sometimes I feel like she is my oxygen. Does that sound stupid?
I just can't help it though. She is always with me, even when I take a nap, she is there.

Willie

catnapper
02-28-2004, 02:43 PM
I know that sound! Allen does that sound especially well. I've always thought it was the equivallent of the human "huh?"

And yes, it IS their own fault that we touch them when they are sleeping - they are really too darn cute!

AmyLee
02-28-2004, 02:47 PM
lol! thats what abby does too! for some reason we call it a "blurp". kinda sounds like she is saying blurp lol. shes always done this, and not once have i heard a meow from her, just "blurps"!!!

RedHedd
02-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Mitzi does it to - kind of a chirping sound. Sometimes I think she's saying, "hey, you scared me, but I love you anyway." I just received a pamphlet on cats called "True Confessions from Your Cat" and it says that when your cat chirps at you, she's REALLY thrilled with you. So maybe those sweet little sounds are a good thing - I just love the sound and, like everyone else, just can't resist petting them when they look so darned cute! :)

Amber
02-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Maggie does that all the time too. If she is sleeping and I touch her she turns her head and goes Rrrrr, and then she meows. :p

CatDad
02-28-2004, 07:01 PM
Bob and Joey will both do that. Except for Bob it is when I touch him anywhere if he is asleep. So I have always taken it as a, sleepy what.

Kirsten
02-29-2004, 09:58 AM
I've always thought it was the equivallent of the human "huh?"

Yes, I think it could mean something like that! :)

Kirsten

Cataholic
02-29-2004, 10:02 AM
I just did it to Allie! I love that little sound.

catcrazylady
02-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Most all of mine do that too!! Leroy does the best chatter around here. I think the best theory of why they do it is "HUH?" It's not like you scared them and they don't seem to be angry. It's kind of like when you get woken up from a nap..."What? Whats up?" Only they can instantly go back to sleep where as most of us can't!!!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/smile.gif

nibblets
03-01-2004, 12:26 PM
I can't resist stroking Julie from her head, down her back and all the way down her tail when she is in the 'meatloaf' position. She also does that sound...sort of a flutter sound. Her body will rise up in a wave as my hand slides down her back as well.
She makes the same sound whenever I feed her... she will hold her nose up to me for a smooch before she eats, most of the time... (sometimes the food is just too yummy for kisses). I figure its her way of saying 'thanks Mom!'