PDA

View Full Version : Dogs in retaurants?

jonza
02-28-2004, 08:31 AM
I have no special opinion on this one (Fister wouldn't be interested in dining out anyway), but I'm sure some people have! Is this Dog House material (or perhaps Dog Restaurant material)!

Proposed law would let Hawaiians dine with pets

Some dog lovers want their hairy friends allowed in restaurants.
Fred Hemmings

HONOLULU, Hawaii (AP) - Cpl. Rita Levergood and her husband disagree whether four-legged members of their family should be able to join them out to dinner. The state, however, is clear: It's against the law.

A state senator's proposal going before a Department of Health committee this week would make it easier for animal lovers like Levergood to dine out with the pets they say are like family.

"I hate to leave them at the house by themselves," said Levergood, 21, who owns two dogs. "I most definitely would like to bring them."

Sen. Fred Hemmings, a Republican, wants to see state health rules eased to give restaurants the option of allowing dogs into outdoor seating areas.

His request faces a vote Thursday by the state's Advisory Council on Food Protection Practices. If it is adopted, Hawaii would join 21 other states with similar pet-friendly dining rules, according to Tara Kain of DogFriendly.com.

Current Hawaii health regulations ban pets from food establishments. Violators face fines and, for repeated offenses, closure.

It was at a small cafe in the French resort Biarritz that Hemmings came up with the idea of relaxing the regulations. He says he still can't erase the memory of an elderly woman whose tiny dog was seated beside her.

"I would have to surmise that this dog was a very important part of this woman's life," he said.

mugsy
02-28-2004, 08:59 AM
I've never figured out why the board of health gets so worked up about pets being in places, but, that's just me. A lot of people talk about nasty dirty dogs, yada yada yada....

We get that a lot when we take our dogs to Menards (a home improvement store). One woman actually looked at Mike one time and asked him why he had that "dirty dog" in the store (while George sat quietly by Mike's side) while her bratty kids were running up and down aisles screaming. Mike's response, "My dog is better behaved than your kid." That sent her to the manager who promptly told her that George was allowed to visit....and their policy is that they would rather see them in the store than sitting in the car.

Now, I realize that's not a restaurant, but, it is a public place. I thought in Europe people could bring their pets to restaurants....shows you what I know. I'm actually surprised that any state in the U.S. would even consider it! Good for them!

clara4457
02-28-2004, 09:15 AM
I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think there is a law in my area prohibiting it. We have an area in Buffalo where in the summer months you see people sitting in patio sections of restaurants with their pets quite often. I'm not really sure if they are actually allowed to do it, or the restaurant and bar owners just look the other way.

I personally don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. You are totally isolated from areas where food is being prepared and it is a totally open air area. Many states that have laws prohibiting certain things within the restaurant (i.e. smoking, shoeless people, bathing suits, etc.) allow them on patio areas. It is also encouraged in nursing homes. You would think if there is a health issue involved - it would be banned within those facilities.

Twisterdog
02-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Personally, I can see why there is a law prohibiting dogs in restaurants, and I think it's a valid law.

If all dogs were like our dogs, clean, well-cared for, well-trained ... no problem.

But, we all know, this is not the case.

I would not want to be eating dinner at a restaurant, and the person at the table next to me had a dog with mange .... or fleas, or ticks, or tape worms. I would not want to be eating lunch, and have someone's dog decide to take a potty break six inches from my chair.

Karen
02-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Personally, I can see why there is a law prohibiting dogs in restaurants, and I think it's a valid law.

If all dogs were like our dogs, clean, well-cared for, well-trained ... no problem.

But, we all know, this is not the case.

I would not want to be eating dinner at a restaurant, and the person at the table next to me had a dog with mange .... or fleas, or ticks, or tape worms. I would not want to be eating lunch, and have someone's dog decide to take a potty break six inches from my chair.

This is not a change allowing dogs in indoor restaurants, just one allowing them at outdoor seating areas. I see no problem with it, and doubt people with mangy, flea-ridden, tick-covered dogs would be the kind to take them out to eat anyway. The dogs would have to be leashed and under control by their owner, and would not get anywhere near your food in all likelyhood.

Twisterdog
02-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Karen
I see no problem with it, and doubt people with mangy, flea-ridden, tick-covered dogs would be the kind to take them out to eat anyway.

LOL .... you would not believe the things I have seen, owning a grooming shop and boarding kennel. People with filthy, unhealthy, untrained dogs who want to fly them on airplanes, take them Petsmart, have them in their weddings, take professional photographs with them, etc. Sadly, money doesn't buy class.

It's like saying people with dirty, runny-nosed kids wouldn't be the kind to take them to eat in a restaurant ... and we all know better than that.

tikeyas_mom
02-28-2004, 04:35 PM
my mother and I brought Oscar into the Zellers resturant with us to eat poutien he sat in my moms purse. noone noticed he was so small. ;)

lizbud
02-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

Personally, I don't think anyone who neglects their dogs like
that would dream of taking them to a restaurant, or anywhere
else for that matter. Obviously not a Vet's office.:(

John, I also read that article & the memory of that old
lady & her dog stayed in my mind as well. So sweet.:)

guster girl
02-29-2004, 11:52 AM
I remember living in Germany, and, there were always dogs everywhere. It never bothered me having one sitting on the floor at the table next to me. I never saw unclean dogs in public, but, it's also a different culture, obviously. And, I think you would see gross dogs in the same places you see gross people now. Know what I mean?