PDA

View Full Version : Cuddle with care!

jonza
02-28-2004, 08:24 AM
I found this quite thought provoking, (from CNN).
I don't think we've ever been infected with anything from the cat, but if he scratches me, I always get an itchy, red scar which takes a long time to heal. We're pretty careful with his litter and what he eats, and I wouldn't want to kiss him on the mouth, as I know for a fact that it's full of nasty bacteria from the time he bit a lump out of my thumb and sent me to hospital! :(

Cuddle with Care
Forget about bird flu or SARS — you're much more likely to get sick from a pet.

Deadly diseases that cross the species barrier and infect humans — like bird flu and SARS — make big headlines these days. But if you're really worried about getting an animal disease, you need look no farther than the fluffball curled up on your pillow. Cats, dogs, hamsters and snakes are breeding grounds for all sorts of microbes and swap molecules with us regularly. Our pets share our air, furniture and food dishes. We change their litter, enjoy their slobbery affection and endure their occasional bites.
The advice seems very sensible.

Of the 1,400 or so recognized human pathogens, 61% are classified as zoonotic, or naturally communicable between animals and people. Here are a few of them:

CAT-SCRATCH DISEASE (CSD) This is a bacterial disease that cats transmit to people through scratches, bites or infected fleas. More common in children than adults, CSD triggers fever, enlarges lymph nodes and may damage major organ systems.

TOXOPLASMOSIS A big problem for pregnant women (it can produce miscarriages and birth defects), toxoplasmosis is caused by a protozoan that can be picked up by eating undercooked meat or by contact with infected cat feces more than a day old.

SALMONELLOSIS AND CAMPYLOBACTERIOSIS These illnesses, caused by bacteria shed in the feces of infected dogs, cats, birds, farm animals and reptiles, can cause diarrhea, nausea and abdominal cramping.

RINGWORM These are round, crusty skin lesions caused by a highly infectious fungus that can spread via touch from cats or dogs.

MULTI-DRUG-RESISTANT STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS This is a deadly emerging pathogen usually associated with hospitals. Recently it has started showing up in house pets and horses.

Don't get me wrong. As a veterinarian, I firmly believe that the benefits of pet ownership far outweigh the risks. But if you're going to keep animals, you need to use common sense and follow some basic rules of hygiene.

First, always get your pets from reliable sources and adhere to a regular schedule of veterinary visits and vaccinations. Wash your hands after handling pets, particularly reptiles, and get immediate treatment for any parasites that show up. Don't let your pet scavenge, hunt or eat raw meat. Avoid contact with your pet's feces, urine and other body fluids. And clean litter boxes daily.

High-risk groups — small children, the elderly, pregnant women and the immunocompromised — require special precautions. Ask your doctor, and your veterinarian.

By JOAN CAPUZZI, V.M.D. Monday, Feb. 23, 2004
Capuzzi is a Philadelphia area — based veterinarian

From the Feb. 23, 2004 issue of TIME magazine