PDA

View Full Version : Tail Docking banned in Australia from 1 April

Miss Meow
02-27-2004, 11:48 PM
Link to article (and cute pic of Doberman) below:

It's disappointing that some breeders are planning to dock anyway, and have withdrawn funding from our largest animal charity in protest.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/02/27/1077676963640.html

clara4457
02-28-2004, 12:55 AM
That is rather disheartening. Kind of like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Why would they stop supporting the RSPCA as a protest? Was the RSPCA instrumental in passing the ban?

Friendy2004
02-28-2004, 06:06 AM
So does this mean that the standards for dog shows will change in Aussie?

I'm a little bit torn on the whole thing. I mean, on one hand, why not leave well enough alone? But on the other hand, I'm not sure the real value of tail docking.

I'm a little bit behind in the whole area, so if anyone wants to enlighten me about why tail docking is still practiced, I'd appreciate it, thanks! :)

-Amanda

mugsy
02-28-2004, 08:11 AM
I, for one, am THRILLED by them passing that. If these people were truly looking out for the interest of the breed, they would not continue this barbaric practice. Tail docking and ear cropping are nothing more than mutilation. People say the dogs can feel it...I say whatever. They are doing it because THEY like it, the dogs could care less. As for Mr. Wheeler?, I'm very glad to hear that he will no longer be breeding...what kind of a threat is that? :rolleyes: As for the other breeders....can we say SPOILED BRAT? They need to get over it. I hope they continue to practice it and see where it gets them....hopefully with a stiff fine and a few days in jail, yep, that will really teach those lawmakers then. I think that article put the breeders in a bad light...they look like whiners. The world could do with a few fewer breeders....especially the backyard kind, although, these groups don't seem to fall into that category. It's like Great Danes and ear cropping....you are starting to see that less and less in the U.S., at least....people are starting to get a clue. I would rather see full tails and natural ears.

Ok, I'm done with my rant....that's just a REALLY sore subject with me (like I'm sure you figured out already.;) )

WAY TO GO AUSTRALIA!!!

EssTer
02-28-2004, 08:18 AM
well, actually I donīt know what to say.. from one way, itīs good, that it willnīt be allowed to dock tails, but... well, maube you think Iīm strange, but why do nt dok tails for show dogs? about ear croping is other theme, I think dogs looks better without cropped ears....well... :rolleyes:...

K9soul
02-28-2004, 11:08 AM
I think the law is a good one. I'd assume it's a ban on docking for cosmetic reasons only? Of course for a medical reason I suppose it would be considered amputation.

I have been feeling stronger and stronger about this, especially ear cropping (since the dog goes through a much longer period of pain for this). I did some research about it from articles written by vets and found it to be very disturbing. I so much prefer the look of natural ears. But I'm straying off topic since this is about docking.

I do think it's also a shame that people will "strike" for something and by doing it, do something that hurts the animals... withholding much needed funding from those animal organizations in order to "protest" is horrible IMO. :(

cloverfdx
03-01-2004, 05:40 AM
JMHO i thik the RSPCA should be more concerned about all the abused and neglected animals wasting away in peoples backyard and out in fields.
I know alot of dogs with docked tails that are happy healthy animals.
How about the RSPCA does somthing about this.......
The dogs that live next door to my Aunt are very rarly fed and watered, NO shelter and the RSPCA just give warning and dont do a damn thing about it. one of then died all alone in the backyard last year. :( :mad:

JMO