PDA

View Full Version : Oh Kia, I told you I didn't want to open the first aid kit.... :(

ramanth
02-27-2004, 10:58 AM
After visiting my parents last night, Dad said Kia could stay the night.

Then this morning at work, Dad called me and said that Kia was bleeding all over and she wouldn't let him find what was wrong.

So I rushed over there, and together we located the wound. I cracked open my new first aid kit and we put ointment and gauze on it, bandaged it up and I rushed her to the vets.

Turns out, one of her anal glands had ruptured. :( :(

She's got a dime sized hole now near her butt that has to be left un-bandanged. She's also on pills and ointment. From time to time I'll need to hold a warm compress on it to help alleviate the pain.

My poor girl. :(

wolfie
02-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Ewwie, poor girl! :( I hope she gets better soon!!! :(

honor_fl
02-27-2004, 11:13 AM
I hope Kia is better soon.

Just out of curiousity, is that a pet specific first-aid kit, or a human one? If its specifically for pets, I'd be very interested in hearing what you have in it.

Karen
02-27-2004, 11:14 AM
Ouch, poor Kia, poor you. Oh, Kia, that's a sure way not to get invited back!

Yikes.

Hope it heals quickly!

Kona & Oreo's mom
02-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Ouch! Kia, how did you hurt yourself? You poor girl! I hope you heal soon, and please be a good girl for your mom when she tries to help you. Wishes for a speedy recovery--

Glacier
02-27-2004, 11:24 AM
Oh, poor Kia. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Cinder & Smoke
02-27-2004, 11:28 AM
Poor Kia! :(

Get that ouwie healed up fast!
Bark Park Daze are comin up - reel soon!

Mom playn Nurse wiffa new Furst Aid Kit, huh?

We think Mom mitta got the Kit at the Red Cross Dawggie Furst Aid Class
she just went to. ;)

We'd be interested to know more about dat Kit, too!

K9soul
02-27-2004, 11:33 AM
Oh my! Poor Kia baby :(.

honor, I once got a first aid kit for pets but it really had most of the same things you would find in a people kit, with the exception of an oral syringe to help get any liquid medicine down. It also had some Biocaine in it which is a pet product for cuts and abrasions. Otherwise it had gauze, tweezers, peroxide, iodine, a pair of surgical type gloves, an eye wash solution, Q-tips, cotton swabs, and a few specific types of bandages like one that could be used for the tummy. It also came with one of those tin foil looking thermal sheets folded up for keeping warm. I also added a few things myself like a thermometer with disposible plastic covers and a better pair of small scissors (the ones that came with it were kind of crappy).

ramanth
02-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by honor_fl
I hope Kia is better soon.

Just out of curiousity, is that a pet specific first-aid kit, or a human one? If its specifically for pets, I'd be very interested in hearing what you have in it.
Last weekend I took a Pet First Aid class. The price of the class included the book, but I also bought a kit. There are three different kinds, (hip pack size, one slightly larger with a belt loop, and one a little bigger with handles)

Here's a picture of the kit I bought with the book. :)

http://www.lansingdogparks.com/pet_first_aid_pics/books_kits.jpg

Tina
02-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Poor Kia. I hope that she feels better soon.

jenfer
02-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Wishing Kia a speedy recovery.

pitc9
02-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Oh Poor baby!
I hope she's feeling better soon!!!

tatsxxx11
02-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Oh, poor baby:(:(:( Get all better sweet soon Kia girl! Those doggie first aid kits are so important to have on hand for emergencies, especially if you're away from home, out on walks, hiking or camping. At the kennel I worked for I FINALLY got the owners to agree to enroll us all in CPR certif. classes for dogs and cats. Hugs to you too Kimmy! Sounds like you didn't take that class a hour to soon!

K9soul
02-27-2004, 12:55 PM
I sure would like to take a class like that. I have read through a few veterinary handbooks, my favorite of which has been 'Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook' by Drs. Delbert Carlson (D.V.M.) and James Giffin (M.D.), but I know a hands-on class would be so much better.

I'd love it too if you could list what your kit has, so if I'm missing something I could add it to my list. :)

honor_fl
02-27-2004, 01:03 PM
oh boy, it sounds like you took that class just in time.

Thanks for the response, It's probably a really good idea to take a class and keep a kit on hand, as you've just proved.

lute
02-27-2004, 01:05 PM
aww....kia,poor girl.....get well soon!

CathyBogart
02-27-2004, 01:15 PM
Poor Kia, feel better soon!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Poor Kia!! I bet you and your dad were freaked out! I am glad you were able to find the source of bleeding and get her to the vet.

Hope your lil butt feels better, Kia!

RobiLee
02-27-2004, 01:42 PM
Ouch, that must hurt!

Kia, I hope you are feeling better soon. You be a good girl and let mommy take care of you.

Robin

ramanth
02-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll take pictures later. :eek: :o :)

Originally posted by K9soul
I'd love it too if you could list what your kit has, so if I'm missing something I could add it to my list. :)
I'll bring my book into work with me monday and I'll copy all that is recommended to be in a Pet First aid kit. (Unless Amy beats me to it. :) )

btw, you were right to say that most of the stuff in the Pet First Aid kit is the same stuff you'd find in a normal first aid kit. So it can work on humans just as well as dogs and cats. :D

Cincy'sMom
02-27-2004, 03:26 PM
Kia!!! We got those kits so we WOULDN"T have to use them!!! Poor girl!! I hope your owie heals fast...I can'timagine that would make "taking care of business" very pleasant :(

if I get a chance this weekend, I'll post the list, so Kimmy doesn't have to waste "valuable" work time :)

anna_66
02-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Awwww Kia, you poor girl:( I hope your owie doesn't bother you too much.

Get well soon, Phred's right...the dog park is coming up soon and we don't want to miss seeing you!

lovemyshiba
02-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Awww Kia sweetie!
I hope your owie is healing for you--good thing you have such a wonderful family to take such great care of you!!!!!!

Feel better soon!!!

ramanth
03-01-2004, 09:09 AM
Thanks guys. :)

Kia's healing up quite well according to the doc. I took her in this morning because all the swelling was making me nervous. Vet said it's because she keeps licking it. But the wound itself has closed up. :)

The meds have ruined her appetite but she'll take a treat every now and then.

Corinna
03-01-2004, 10:00 AM
Kia you shouldn't havre scared grandpa and mom so. Glad to hear your healling ok .