PDA

View Full Version : I need help...YES, AGAIN!

catcrazylady
02-27-2004, 06:13 AM
I need some help here folks. I have four shelter kitties that I'm getting ready to put on the web and they are FIV positive. I need to write a brief bio but I don't know exactly what to say. I want enough of an explanation that the shelter doesn't get bombarded with the "Whats FIV?" questions but at the same time I'm limited on space. I just don't know how to word this and I'm desperate for help.
They weren't sure that I should even put them on the web but I explained that I didn't think that was fair. They are precious and sweet kitties. I also explained that there are some people who only adopt FIV cats to give them a good home. They asked me who and I had to fess up that I didn't know anybody but I have heard about such people on the web. I want to give them a fighting chance for a good home.

Help me please!!!! I'm really at a loss as to how to word this. Any suggestions welcome!!

PayItForward
02-27-2004, 06:53 AM
Here is a link

http://www.lbah.com/Feline/fiv.htm

The things I would mention....

Feline FIV is different to Human Aids and inter-species infection CAN NOT occur.

FIV cats MUST be housed inside at all times, as they risk infecting other cats if allowed to roam.

FIV cats MUST be homed on their own or with other FIV positive cats.

Although they can cost more in terms of medical care towards the end of their illness, they still need love and will reward the new owner with years of love. (NB.Would your shelter help with this cost ?)

I am not sure on FIV cats longevity issues.

PayItForward
02-27-2004, 06:56 AM
What about writing an seperate article on the advantages and disadvantages of adopting a FIV cat?

That way you could add the web link to each cats description and save space.

Mmmm, I might write one at the weekend. Though I'll have to do some research, I don't know much about FIV in cats.

catmandu
02-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Prayers for those poor Cats , and may they find Guardians that wil love them , and give them a Furr Ever HOME!Found Cats salue you! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW WWWWWWW!

kuhio98
02-27-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
Here is a link

http://www.lbah.com/Feline/fiv.htm

I think it is a great idea to include a link to some more information. I just noticed that our shelter doesn't list FIV positive kitties. I never noticed that before. They use the little green heart icon on petfinder to indicate that there is a medical condition. I checked all of them and they are for stuff like special diet, hard of hearing, etc.

Is there a way to create just a "special needs" list? Some people are only interested in special needs babies.

Good luck and what a great idea. I'm going to ask our shelter about it when I get home.

PayItForward
02-27-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by kuhio98
I just noticed that our shelter doesn't list FIV positive kitties.
Sadly many shelter won't house positive cats as they are to full with healthy cats.

I don't know of any shelter within 50 miles which take in positive cats :(

catcrazylady
02-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Great ideas and advice!!! I'm trying to figure it all out. It's really hard to do for a brief bio. Keep ideas coming!
I just feel that these kitties at least deserve the chance to be seen. Maybe someone will understand the illness and take them anyway. They can remain healthy and very sweet happy cats forever! They could just carry the FIV and never get really sick. It's just a lot to try to explain because it can also turn bad.
Thanks again everyone.