PDA

View Full Version : OMG I can't believe how bull-headed my husband can be!

K9soul
02-26-2004, 06:34 PM
What a night. Well first of all, David, my husband, was going to make some coleslaw for dinner. So he got out a cabbage head and a knife to cut it with, and when he was trying to remove the core, the knife slipped and gashed his hand, between the thumb and index finger. Well all I heard was "Oh my God" and so of course I came running, knowing instantly he had cut himself. So at least he did realize he would have to go in for stitches, I can at least give him credit for that.

But then, I start putting socks and shoes on while he's calling the Express Care Clinic. He says "what are you doing?" I say "getting ready to drive you do the clinic." He says "no, no. I can drive just fine." I look at him in disbelief and say "David, you just cut your HAND you can't DRIVE like that." He says "No, I can drive. I'm going to drive." We argue back and forth until I'm in a state of fury and I say "Well I'm coming with you!". He says "no you don't need to come with me either." But I ignore him and go back to the back of the house to get ready. Well sure enough a couple minutes later he says in a weaker voice, "Jess, I'm going to need you to drive me." I'm fit to be tied, and I just want to shout "WHAT A GREAT IDEA!! Wish I'd thought of that!!" but I just sigh and he says "well it wasn't bleeding as much a minute ago." I just really had to bite back words and remember he's hurt. :o

So we are about to go and I grab a dish towel. He had been holding his hand in a fist to keep the cut closed but I see blood seeping on the edges of his hand. I hand him the dish towel and tell him to put it around his hand. "No, I don't need that." I argue some more. Nope. Finally I say, "Well then just take it with you please? Put it in your lap." He says no, it's clotted up and not bleeding now. I throw it aside in exasperation and tell him let's go.

We get to the clinic and the lady asks him to sit down and someone will be right with us, and he asks her for a rag or something for his hand.. I'm just standing there with my mouth open, speechless. He says "well it started bleeding again more." She gets him something.

He got into the office quickly. I know I shouldn't have, but I just felt furious with him. He just would not LISTEN to anything I said! The nurse had him put the hand in some water and told him the doctor would be in shortly to take care of him. I'm just sitting stiffly in a chair nearby, and it's quiet. Then suddenly I hear him say my name kind of weird, and I look up and he slumps over, fainted... I thought 'oh my god he's going to fall off that table' and ran to get the nurse. So she came back and he came to right away and we got him laying down with a cool cloth on his head. By this time I can't feel angry with him anymore.. how could I when he just passed out like that, it's frightening. But he was ok. At least, he finally said "I'm sorry I should have listened to you."

He got stitches and bandaged up and I got him home. He still insisted helping making dinner. We got done with dinner and one of his buddies called. While he was talking to his buddy, I cleaned up the kitchen, but I couldn't help but hear him telling his buddy all about what happened... Except of course, he didn't include anything about how I kept telling him what he needed to do and he kept ignoring me. :rolleyes: Not that I really expected him to tell his buddy that though. :p.

A few minutes ago, he got done talking to his friend, and he says, "man my hand is really starting to hurt now." I say, "Take some Tylenol or something." What does he say? You guessed it. "Nah, I don't need that."

popcornbird
02-26-2004, 06:41 PM
First of all........OUCH! Your poor husband! :( That has got to hurt!!!

Second.........I'm not surprised. Typical man. ;) When women tell men something, it goes through deaf ears. Take my word on that. :p ;)

Corinna
02-26-2004, 06:44 PM
Yeh I know that story. After a day surgry (thinking cancer wasback) a biobpsy on the ribs. Some one here thought O I'll drive home. BS He couldn't even walk out of the office with out me and the BIG male orderly packing him.6'5" of him.

RICHARD
02-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Why are you making fun of men?

change the cabbage head to brownies and you have my story....without the fainting, of course....I was too drunk to pass out.

Tell him to wait until he climbs into bed..it's gonna be a long night and he will feel his heart beat in that wound.....

When he asks for Tylenol, roll over and say, "Honey, you are tough, you don't need it....."

Cinder & Smoke
02-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Ummmmm...

And your Point was... ? :confused:

Dunno, but that all sounded pretty normal to me. :p

Tell Hubby ~ Three or Four Beers an he won't feel a thing! ;)

:D

/s/ Phred

K9soul
02-26-2004, 06:50 PM
Actually, I'll probably hear him rummaging through the cupboards in a bit, and then hear "Jess, do we have any Tylenol?" :rolleyes:

On second thought, I ought to just set the bottle of Tylenol out on the counter, then we could just skip the step of him asking me where it is :p

RICHARD
02-26-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Ummmmm...

And your Point was... ? :confused:

You need a woman to keep from smashing your head on a cold examination room floor.....:o

"DUDE, what happened to your nose??? The old lady go off on you???"

Not only to you have to admit you aren't a cook, you have to cop to the fact that you did a face plant at the doc's AFTER you passed out.....

When I get hurt I ALWAYS cry for my mommy!

catnapper
02-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Ugh! That is so typically male! I think you told a story about MY husband!

Grant gets migraines often but refuses to take even aspirin for it... I get sooo tired of hearing him say, "ooo, I don't feel good. I have such a bad headache." Well, Take Something For It!!!! I actually have to open the bottle of aspirin, dump two or three in my hand, hand him the pills with a glass of ice cold something and stand there til he takes the stupid aspirin! :rolleyes:

I'm glad he's ok. I'm sure by Saturday night, the story will be on the fifth version and he'll paint himself some kind of hero! (I walked to the clinic through 6" of snow... in my barefeet.)

Ahh. men, ya gotta love 'em!

K9soul
02-26-2004, 07:16 PM
LOL Richard and catnapper, Thanks those gave me a good laugh. :)

Good to know I'm not alone with this kind of thing! I never would have believed before tonight that I could get so angry with someone who was cut and in pain. :p

RICHARD
02-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Ugh! That is so typically male!

Ahh. men, ya gotta love 'em!

Now you know why we don't bear children, It hurts too damn much......................

:p

RICHARD
02-26-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
Good to know I'm not alone with this kind of thing! I never
would have believed before tonight that I could get so angry with someone who was cut and in pain. :p

LOVE CONQUERS ALL!!!

Miss Meow
02-26-2004, 07:48 PM
:D

I got revenge on Shane last year when I sliced through my thumb with secateurs. I was outside, managed to leave a trail of blood on my way inside, and prompty fainted when he came to help. There I was, unconscious on the floor, very pale, and bleeding to death :) Luckily he propped me up and stopped me from swallowing my tongue! And mopped up the blood. And took me to the doctor's. And listened to me vomit and complain because I got a migraine from dehydration :)

K9soul
02-26-2004, 08:17 PM
That sounds like a rather painful revenge! :eek:

And by the way, I have heard 3 more reports now how his hand hurts... I just play deaf now. :D

Holly's mom
02-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Wow, that reminds me of the time my husband cut his hand. This happened about 10 years ago, I was gone shopping, I came home and there was blood on the counter, blood drops on the floor and a note that said, "Don't worry, I'm fine, I went to the ER". So of course I freaked out, I called the ER and they actually let me talk to him. What had happened was he was going to make a pizza for lunch, he was cutting a stick of pepperoni into slices and the knife slipped and he cut his hand. So he was in the ER getting stitches. I told him to make sure he got a tetanus shot because I couldn't remember him having one since we had been married. Well, he got home and he said he didn't have a tetanus shot, the dork! So I made him get in the car and I drove him back to the ER and made him get one! He was not happy and saying rather nasty things.:p

I went and got a tetanus booster a couple of years ago, and made him come along and get one too. So that way at least I know he's up to date. I swear, it's just like having a kid again.:rolleyes:

guster girl
02-27-2004, 10:10 AM
It's not just men, though. And, I've been around enough men that are complete babies and can't do crap for themselves and I'd take the tough guy who won't listen any day. Honestly, I've had both, and, not that I want a jackass that won't ever listen to anyone, but, I certainly would rather have that than a man (or woman) that takes ten tylenol a day for every little thing and completely breaks down with a paper cut. ;) But, yeah, I know plenty of women that won't take their sick butts to the hospital, or won't stop baking that apple pie even after the cat nearly removes their arm. :) Actually, that last one is me. For Thanksgiving one year, I was in charge of baking three pies and I was rolling out a crust for the apple pie and (now, I don't even remember what happened!) I somehow managed to get involved in a skirmish with my cats. I know I heard something in the other room and had to investigate. I didn't have to have stitches, and, I didn't end up with scars, but, man, I'm a bleeder, BIG TIME. And, Justin got me from finger tip to shoulder. It wasn't pretty. But, I cleaned it up, with the help of my now ex-husband, and, wrapped myself in gauze from fingers to upper arm. I then proceeded to wear two gloves over my hand so that I could finish making the pies. Of course, I'm not only a bleeder, I'm a crier, so, I cried and shook the whole time. But, damn it, I was NOT going without those freakin' pies. :) Anyway, stubbornness really does know no gender. I'm glad your man is alright, though. even without the tylenol. :)

K9soul
02-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Anyway, stubbornness really does know no gender.

That's true, but I still think it is more common in men! :p

Karen
02-27-2004, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by K9soul
That's true, but I still think it is more common in men! :p

That's just 'cause you haven't met the women of my family. Me included. If Paul sees this thread, he might tell it, so I'll just admit to it.

I'm asthmatic.

P - "You're not breathing well."

K - "I'm fine."

P - "You're really not breathing well, why don't you go to the doctor."

K - "I'm fine, just a little wheezy."

(Repeat this scene several times.)

I finally relent, let him take me to the hospital, and they look at my oxygen sats and incarcerate me for days, after I spend time in the Emergency Department arguing with the medical professionals that I should go home, I'm just a little wheezy.

ramanth
02-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Karen, that sounds like my mom when she has a really bad asthma attack. Dad practically has to drag her to the hospital. :rolleyes:

And she cut her finger really bad a bit ago while making a salad. She didn't want to go to the hospital and dad made her.

Oiy.

catland
02-27-2004, 12:09 PM
I'd like to nominate my mother for the stubborn award. A few years back, when at my brother's house, she tripped coming out of the door. So she just sat there saying she was fine - don't worry about her. They kept asking if she was ok and she said she was. Finally she needed to use the bathroom but was unable to stand - so she was willing to crawl to the bathroom. That's when they called an ambulance (while she protested).

She had broken her hip and required hip replacement surgery.:eek: :eek: