PDA

View Full Version : Question about sig size limits.

K9soul
02-26-2004, 04:03 PM
I'm just wondering where, if anywhere, it informs people that the limit is 25k bytes on sig sizes? I know when I first joined and tried my hand at my first few sigs, I looked in the FAQs section, carefully read in the profile creation area, especially where you put the sig in, etc., and saw nothing about it.

I think this is hard on newer people to the board, since they know nothing about it until they make their sig and then get comments about it that makes them feel bad or embarrassed. I sometimes see reference to the "rule" of 25k or less, but I don't understand how it can be a rule if it's not put where people can see it? :confused: As it is, it seems just something that's understood once someone else learns it by word of mouth. But please correct me if I'm wrong :)

RedHedd
02-26-2004, 04:09 PM
I agree! I remember seeing something on sig size when I signed up but can't remember where that was. I think I remember that when I tried to put a pic in my sig I received an error message telling me my pic was too big and giving me the maximum allowed dimensions, but I forget what it was and can't find the info anywhere either. Karen? Paul? I try to keep my sig pics small just because it's easier on others who are still on dial-up (like me!).

K9soul
02-26-2004, 04:10 PM
I think that is on the Avatar, the little pic on the side, but not on siggies :)

K9soul
02-26-2004, 06:11 PM
bump.

No one has an answer to this?

anna_66
02-26-2004, 06:18 PM
I couldn't tell you if that "rule" is anywhere in writing, but I know Karen has asked that they be around the 25 limit.
I once had mine too big and she pm'd me and asked me to resize. That's how I first found out:D

popcornbird
02-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Karen stated on several threads that the sig size should be 25K or less. I think she should put it in the rules though.........so everyone would know.

K9soul
02-26-2004, 08:12 PM
I'm guessing by the number of views versus the couple of replies, that I didn't miss it somewhere, so I'm going to assume it's not written anywhere where someone newer can really find out until they are told by PM or in a post. I personally think if it's expected to be a rule, or even just a request, it would be nice to put it somewhere like an announcement, the FAQ where it talks about siggies or something, to cause less confusion :).

I'm sure some people might still miss it, but fewer wouldn't. I was pretty novice (not that I'm an expert now :o) at first when I was trying to make sigs, I didn't think to look at the size at first. Then when I started looking at size, I kept having problems with them either being too big (in file size) or looking really bad, until I figured out on the text in PSP, if you turn off the 'stroke' and just use the 'fill' for the coloring, it still looks good and makes much smaller file sizes. So that was the key for me! :)

K9soul
02-26-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Karen stated on several threads that the sig size should be 25K or less. I think she should put it in the rules though.........so everyone would know.

Yeah I have seen in stated in a few threads here and there, but threads get bumped down, or not every thread gets read (I know I certainly don't catch every one :p) So that's why I think it's kind of confusing for someone newer. I know I didn't think to look in random threads to find out if there was a limit ;)

Oh, and by no means is this meant as an attack or criticism towards anyone, it's just something I've noticed and wondered about!

BCBlondie
02-27-2004, 12:08 AM
Yeah, I've heard about it too, but I really don't see the point in it. What's so bad about being over 25K? Animations use up a lot of K I think, but people ask for them cuz they're cool. Is there a problem with that? :confused: Plus, I'm sorta new here, who is Karen??:confused: This is the first board I've ever been on that has a sig limit size thing... :(

Kfamr
02-27-2004, 01:01 AM
Karen is our moderator.

Karen, and her husband Paul own and run POTD, COTD, DOTD and PT.

The signature size limit is for people who have slower connections. Large graphics and signatures take longer to load then a smaller file size would, and sometimes lag computers.

I think I remember Karen saying this rule was always in place, but it actually didn't start until a troll started a thread about "large signatures" that anyone was aware of it. So, unfortunatly because fo this troll, our signatures have to have a limit.

Which I really don't like at all. Just because the smaller the file size, means the less quality. Some signatures look really great when I make them, but others look so cruddy and choppy when I have to adjust them to the size limit. It gets very irritating when I have to resize a signature a few times, lol.

But, to answer the question/concern, I don't believe it's 'written' anywhere. But, then again it doesn't seem to be inforced at all since there's more than a handful with signatures far over the limit.

Miss Meow
02-27-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by BCBlondie
Yeah, I've heard about it too, but I really don't see the point in it. What's so bad about being over 25K? Animations use up a lot of K I think, but people ask for them cuz they're cool. Is there a problem with that? :confused: Plus, I'm sorta new here, who is Karen??:confused: This is the first board I've ever been on that has a sig limit size thing... :(

A lot of us are still on dial-up modems, so it can take minutes for a single thread to load.

Yeah, we can go to UserCP and turn all signatures off, but then we'd miss all the gorgeous, creative images that everyone has :)