PDA

View Full Version : Brown Vs. White

Tonya
02-25-2004, 11:20 PM
Amber's thread made me think of an article that I wrote when I was in highschool. It was when there was alot of racial tension in my town between the Mexicans and Whites.

October 31, 1995

Brown vs. White

A Caucasian student lies sprawled on the ground. As he struggles to get up, he is kicked back down over and over again. He tries to look at his attackers' faces, but his own blood and sweat blinds him. Between the kicks and blows, I hear him yell "You f---ing wetbacks!" That awful word sends chills down my spine. For a split second, I catch one of the attacker's eye. I see mixed feelings of anger and pain; probably the same feelings that the guy lying on the ground feels. I turn around and walk away.

Maybe this time the white boy got jumped, but just last week he was on the other side of the fence. He had beat up a guy just because of his skin color.

What in the world created strong enough feelings for violence like that? The word is pride. This on going battle doesn't have much to do with skin color any longer. I think that we have already figured out that it is not right to judge people by their skin color --yet many of us still do it.

This terrible cycle has been going on for so long that people are afraid to swallow their pride. Many of us were raised to stick with people of our own ethnic background; that all the others are dirty, arrogant, evil, etc.

It is about time that we break down these color barriers and swallow our macho pride. Life is was too short for this awful violence.

G.P.girl
02-27-2004, 10:59 PM
you wrote that? it's preetty cool. i like the beginning of it....you know? like how it starts? i forget what it's called....but i like it:p