PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Stain/Odor Removal TIPS??

veegan
02-25-2004, 08:36 PM
eek! :eek: Brock has never had an accident in the house, but has been sick the past couple weeks and had diarrhea on the cream coloured carpets today, that were just cleaned yesterday!!! Needless to say my mom is very upset. PLEASE, anyone have any tips on what gets out stain/odor the best?? Household items, and/or specific brand of cleaners (i.e. Resolve or Nature's Miracle) perhaps?

thanks in advance for any advice you may have!!

(cross posted in cat & pet general)

binka_nugget
02-25-2004, 08:40 PM
Our trainer said that after fostering 60+ dogs and having 6 of her own, nature's miracle was the only one that worked for them. I'm not sure if it worked for both poops and pees, just the odor..or what but for stains, oxyclean works really well for us. When Kaedyn came home in September, he had lots of accidents. The oxyclean took care of the stains.

micki76
02-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Don't use Resolve or anything like that that has a stain 'blocker' in it. It has Teflon in it and if the stain doesn't come out the first time, after you use those products even a a professional won't be able to penetrate the teflon. It coats the stain and makes it impossible to remove. I've been told this by several carpet cleaners & salespeople.

Nature's Miracle or a similar product is what I recommend. I prefer Simple Solution. For regular every day dirt, I've been told to purchase steam cleaner solution and mix it with water and use that.

wolfie
02-25-2004, 09:10 PM
Hey, thanks, this thread is pretty helpful for me too. :)

I've never been able to find something that works for stains - we usually just end up throwing away the rug. lol. We'll have to get some Nature's Miracle to have on hand.

micki76
02-25-2004, 09:14 PM
I forgot to say that Simple Solution has two different formulas. One is for odor removal and the other is for stain and odor removal. I buy the stain & odor formula and I kinda wonder who would buy just the odor formula. :confused:

K9soul
02-25-2004, 09:25 PM
OxyClean has worked the best for me for those situations, but then I have not used the other products mentioned above. I just mix some in with warm water and squirt it on the carpet, let it soak a bit, then mop it up and repeat until the stain is gone. A few weeks ago, Tommy had an upset tummy and threw up all over the carpet in the hallway, which is a lighter colored carpet. What an icky mess and quite a stain too, but with a few applications of the OxyClean it got it all out.

Then for the odor I use one of those spray odor neutralizers or a Citrus air freshener really helps too.

Good luck! I sure hope poor Brock is feeling better.

Desert Arabian
02-25-2004, 10:18 PM
Nature's Miracle is awesome. We used it for our old guinea pig and cat, along with our current kitties and the rats. Highly recommend it!

guster girl
02-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by micki76
Don't use Resolve or anything like that that has a stain 'blocker' in it. It has Teflon in it and if the stain doesn't come out the first time, after you use those products even a a professional won't be able to penetrate the teflon. It coats the stain and makes it impossible to remove. I've been told this by several carpet cleaners & salespeople.

Nature's Miracle or a similar product is what I recommend. I prefer Simple Solution. For regular every day dirt, I've been told to purchase steam cleaner solution and mix it with water and use that.

Is that all Resolve products? The reason I'm asking is because before this thread was posted I bought a bottle of Resolve Pet Stain n Odor, but, it doesn't say anything about a stain blocker or Teflon.....and, several people in Cat General say that they use Resolve. But, I just wanted to double check before I start soaking our Berber in the stuff. :) Because, when Finn is pretty much done potty training, and, accidents rarely occur, we are going to have the carpets professionally cleaned, and, I don't want to make their job any more difficult than I'm sure it is already going to be. :)

veegan
02-26-2004, 02:24 PM
thanks for all the tips everyone!

and guster girl, I love that quote in your profile. :)

guster girl
02-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by veegan
thanks for all the tips everyone!

and guster girl, I love that quote in your profile. :)

I know, I love it! It's from Tracy Kidder's book, "Mountains Beyond Mountains". wonderful book so far! :)