PDA

View Full Version : I'm kind of bummed

Tonya
02-25-2004, 07:10 PM
Today, I was working in a rural area and I found a hurt dog. She was a small pitbull and she couldn't use her back legs. I'm assuming that she got hit by a car. It was storming today, so she was shivering cold. I picked her up and put her in my truck and cranked up the heater.

She was very sweet and loving...even with her injuries. She had a collar on and her nails were longer. She seemed to me like she was an indoor dog. I knew that she was going to be expensive to fix because her back legs were probably broken.

So, I brought her to the dog shelter and checked her in.

After I got her all checked in I said "If for some reason the owners don't come for her, and she doesn't get adopted out, can you call me before putting her down?"

The ladies response was a quick "No."

I asked why not and she said that if I want the dog, I have to put a deposit on it now. I told her that wasn't fair because I don't have a right to buy the dog if her owner claims her. After going in circles, I realize that I was getting no where. So I told her to forget it, to just give me the dog back and I'll take her to the vet myself and look for the owners myself. She told me I couldn't have the dog back because now it's theres and it has to pass medical and temprament clearance before they'll adopt it out. I was like "Oh, come on...I just brought her in two minutes ago." Nope. Wouldn't give me the dog back. I hope they don't put her to sleep just because her back legs will be to expensive to fix. I know she'll be ok. She was barking and wagging her tail at a cat in the office, so I know she isn't to bad off.

You could tell that she'd been breastfeeding...I hope the puppies are ok, wherever they are. Hopefully, the owner finds her quickly. There were only 3 houses within a 5 mile radius of where I found her, and none of them recognized her.

wolfie
02-25-2004, 07:23 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry! :( I hope she's okay. That woman at the shelter is just rude! People like that shouldn't work at animal shelters - you are supposed to care about animals! :(

Check back in three days (or what ever the limit is that they have to keep the dog before putting her down). I'd pay to get her out at that point - because by then they could put her down. :( I hope her owners find her!

Tonya
02-25-2004, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I am going to most deffinately follow up on her. It's tough because I run into so many animals with my job. I'd love to, but it isn't like I can $ave every single one. At the very least, I am going to make sure she doesn't get put down though.

Lixx
02-25-2004, 07:28 PM
That's awful! What a B****. People like that should be the ones put down! I hope the dog finds her home.

Twisterdog
02-25-2004, 07:50 PM
Unfortunately, Tonya, there is a very great probability that they will euthanize her. Shelters simply do not have the funds to devote to an injured animal, when they are euthanizing healthy ones every day. It's sad, it's wrong ... but it is a fact. I don't want to rain on your parade, so to speak, but I don't want you to get your hopes up too high, either. There is always a chance that this shelter is better funded, or some other exception, of course.

The woman's hands were probably tied in what she could do to let you have the dog back. Technically, the dog is someone else's missing property, until the waiting period is up. It's like finding a bicycle on the side of the road, taking it to the police station, then saying, "Oh, I changed my mind. I'll just take the bike home and fix it up, and try to find it's owner." The police are going to say, "Ummmm, no. It's not your bike." Since the law looks at animals as property only, that is probably the only legal recource this woman had: hold the dog.

Yes, this woman could have probably been kinder or more cooperative. However, keep in mind what her job entails. She sees the worst of the worst as far as human beings and what they do to animals, day in and day out. She is probably over-worked, under-paid, jaded, disgusted and burnt out. Kill shelters have one of the highest turn over rates of any jobs. And I can certainly see why.

I feel it is important to also keep in mind where the real blame lies for this - not with the harried woman that was hired to clean up other people's messes. The blame lies with the owners of this dog, who didn't spay her, didn't keep her in a secure yard, didn't put ID on her, and don't care enough to look for her. The real bad guys in this story are the irresponsible owners.

I commend you for your efforts to help her. It's never easy.

Tonya
02-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Yeah, you are right. That makes sense...but it is still a downer. I'm not as much mad as disappointed. I just wish that I could help every dog that I find. It's especially saddening when the dogs are sweet like she was.

K9soul
02-25-2004, 09:33 PM
That's so very sad. :( But you did all you could, and you got her off the streets and you really tried. That had to be frustrating to bring her in and then not be able to take her back when you realized you couldn't be notified. There's still a chance though that her owners will be looking for her and will call the shelter.

You're always doing everything you can to help the unfortunate animals you run across, and I think that is a wonderful thing. *hugs*

*LabLoverKEB*
02-25-2004, 10:03 PM
Awww, Tonya, that's awful. That's so not fair! I can't believe they would do that to you. What an idiot. Poor baby! I hope the poor baby doesn't get put to sleep, but gets adopted, and gets the medical attention she needs.