PDA

View Full Version : digital cameras

Sirrahsim
02-25-2004, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure if i can post this here, but it IS about taking pics of my kitty:)

I have a really cheap camera. It cost about $100, but the picture quality definately leave much to be desired. it's a vivitar vivicam 3550 with 1.3 megapixels.
The RAPCON where Paul works bought an awesome camera a few months ago. It is the Sony DSC-V1 with 5 megapixels. I have gotten to use it at some of their football games and such, but I haven't gotten an opportuinity to use it for close up shots, or even any indoor shots. Do any of you have this camera? Or know anyone that does? My hubby is all excited to go buy one for ourselves, but I want to make sure that it will be a good investment. At $489 (tax free:):):)) it's a bit pricy, even though our tax refund is due on friday and it will more than cover that:D I know that I can record movie clips with it, but do you know if I can upload those for viewing here on PT? Also, where is a good place to get prints made? I love my digital camera, but there is no substitute for flipping through a photo album. I'd appreciate any help you can offer! My Boomer deserves to be photographed with better equipment!:)

boscibo
02-25-2004, 09:18 PM
I don't have that particular model, vur I have 2 Sony digicams and i love them! (soory, cat on lap, can't type). My 4.1 megapixel model cost $800, so that price is a good deal. I have 76yyyyyyyyyyy,k (Hanna wrote that, she has an opinion too!)

Yes, video clips can be uploaded here on PT, I use Windows Movie Maker to reduce the file size so people on dial up can watch the movie clip too. Upload just like any other linked file (like a hyperlink).

I don't print much, but when I do I just use my HP
deskjst printer. Hope that helps.

Sirrahsim
02-25-2004, 09:54 PM
thank you, that does :) I've been doing some searching at different review sites and the only real negatives that I can find consistently have to do with some advanced features that I'll probably never use :rolleyes:
thank you as well for your input Hanna! Sony seems to be a great brand and when I think about it, my epson printer can make really nice prints

rkidsrcats
02-25-2004, 10:04 PM
A digital camera is sooo worth the investment! Especially the ones that are coming out now with such high resolutions. 4.1 megapixel is plenty of capacity unless you plan to print some really large prints. But for the computer & internet, that's great - and a great price. You'll have some lovely photos.
One thing I would suggest is making sure you get a camera that has a very small "lag time" between the time you press the button and the time the camera actually snaps the photo. In regular 35mm SLR cameras that time is instantaneous. Not always so with digitals, so check that out. Especially if you want to take action shots of the kitties. They move so fast that just when you have the perfect shot, you press the button and in a second they have moved and there goes the prize winning photo! I've had Nikkon Cool Pix 950 and 990 and they had a relativly long lag time and it was disappointing sometimes. Luckily I wasn't paying for film, but sometimes that perfect moment never comes around again.
Just a thought.

BCBlondie
02-25-2004, 11:16 PM
I have a Sony digital camera, with 4.0 megapixels, zoom, video, and a lot more stuff. It cost my dad $400 when he got it a few years ago...now it's about $300. VERY good camera, takes beautiful pictures. :)

catcrazylady
02-26-2004, 05:40 AM
If I were to buy a new camera I would get whatever it is that Kirsten has! She has the most incredible and wonderful close ups I have ever seen. She has posted here before about her camera type but I don't remember what it was now. Does anyone remember that picture of her kitties tongue??? GEEZ that was a cool and incredibly clear picture! All of her pictures are really clear. That would be the camera for me.http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

catnapper
02-26-2004, 07:35 AM
I think Kirsten has the Cannon that I wanted before my hubby talked me out of it and into the Nikon that's BROKEN after 4months... pssst: don't buy Nikon.

But I think getting a good digital camera is worth every penny. I haven't heard much about the one you're talking about, but Sony does have a good name to back their products up.

catmandu
02-26-2004, 09:14 AM
I am so low tech , that I dont even have my own computer , as I would rather go to the Library , and spend the money into an emergency fund for the Cats! But maybe one day , when an usecdigital , come along , or a Single Use Digital...

catmandu
02-26-2004, 09:15 AM
I am so low tech , that I dont even have my own computer , as I would rather go to the Library , and spend the money into an emergency fund for the Cats! But maybe one day , when an used digital , come along , or a Single Use Digital...:cool: :cool: :cool: