PDA

View Full Version : Training my 4 month old pup to pee outside

pearl
02-25-2004, 09:37 AM
:confused: I have a 4 month old puppy , German Shepherd/Huskey mix who will not go to the bathroom outside. She was given to me a few days ago by someone who let her run wild. She will hold it when I take her for her walks, then pee on her newspapers when I get in the door. Can somebody give me some ideas PLEASE? I walk her 4-5 times a day.....

aly
02-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Take her to the same spot in the backyard to potty instead of walking her around. There are probably too many dstractions if you're actually walking. Have some treats in your pocket and when she potties, PRAISE her, treat her and THEN take her for a walk as another reward.

It is just really important that you take her to the same spot in the yard and ignore her until she does her business. Then when she's done, pay a LOT of attention to her. She'll get the idea after a couple times.

You also might want to try crate training. I can explain it to you if you're interested.

wolfie
02-25-2004, 12:19 PM
If she's used to going on newspaper, put a piece of newspaper outside where you want her to go. It might help if it's a piece she already went on. Even though it might sound gross it will probably work. :)

heinz57_79
02-25-2004, 12:52 PM
I remember when I was potty training Charlie... Inside, he'd go on the puppy pad fine, but outside I think there was just too much other stuff going on for him to concentrate. :) There's a couple of options that worked for me when i was having problems. Try taking the USED newspaper outside. I know, eew eew eew! But she'll start learning to associate the smell with the OUTSIDE instead of the INSIDE! And as already mentioned, when she goes, lots and lots of praise and/or a treat. If she poops in the house, pick it up and take it outside. Same concept as with the paper. There are also sprays you can pick up at PetsMart or Petco that are designed to attract pups to the spot you want them to go in the yard. They actually work pretty well. Also, I don't know how much you're home during the day, but don't give her the option of going inside. To start, take her outside every 10 mins or so. Especially after she eats. Eventually she should start getting the hint, shepherds are good n smart! :)

Just remember to always use positive reinforcement! Never holler at her, smack her or rub her nose in it. In fact, the latter has been found tosimply reinforce the behaviour. If you catch her in the act, a stern "NO!" then pick her and the poop or the paper up and take everything outside. She'll begin to realise that if she goes inside, mom's not happy. Outside, she gets lots of love and treats. Pups love to please.

Sorry it's sort of a long reply, but i figure I'd just throw out everything I know on the subject. hehe Good luck and let us know how it goes!

heinz57_79
02-25-2004, 12:54 PM
PS. Crate training IS a really good idea too.

guster girl
02-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Crate training R.U.L.E.S. :) If she's scared of it, you can feed her in there and that helps a lot. Another idea could be to purchase one of those little pen things to keep her semi confined outdoors, and, wait until she pees....even, putting the paper inside the pen, too. That way she doesn't have to stay on the leash and you can chill out while you wait. Read a book or something. :) Really, though, crate training is amazing. But, if she's always been outdoors, it's probably not going to be easy, but, if you're interested, it may be one of your best bets.

rizzy
02-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Praise her alot when she does go outside, just remember that. Sorry I dont have too much advice on this but I wish you luck! :)