PDA

View Full Version : I did the dumbest thing...

Tonya
02-24-2004, 10:13 PM
My little brother, Danny is having his 21st birthday party on Saturday. Danny has a pet rooster and has always wanted a few more chickens.

So, my brother Jeff and I got this brilliant idea to get Danny two chicks for his birthday and name them Tonya and Jeff. Then, I got an even more brilliant idea to get the chicks today so that Jaden could enjoy them for a few days before I give them to Danny.

So. I have two loud messy chicks in my bathtub under a heat lamp right now. I have all these fond memories of my pet baby chicks when I was a kid. I forgot how noisy they are and how messy they are. They keep crapping and walking in it, smearing it all over. WTF was I thinking? :rolleyes: I am not going to get any sleep until I give them to Danny Saturday.

*EDIT* They are quieting down, so now I am actually finding them cute again. Awwwww.

Tonya:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p3177999f6d27f16786bed87f0035791c/f9855b63.jpg

Jeff:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p08ae18a6b6ae1c3ca3d1f2fb9e5d9ee3/f9855b61.jpg

Brother and sister snuggling...awwwww

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/pe36edb5b4eb2a4cb5513aea2e4f3edda/f9855b6a.jpg

Karen
02-24-2004, 10:38 PM
Oh the things a good sister will do! :) And I bet, 15 years from now, 20 years from now, Jaden will have forgotten the noise and mes, and remember the baby chicks fondly, too!

And it's fun that you post about this with today's Pet of the Day being a chicken, too! (At least for a little while more.)

Twisterdog
02-24-2004, 10:56 PM
If I were you, I'd put them in a cardboard box, with newspapers on the bottom. Much easier to clean than an entire bathtub ... just throw away the newspapers and put in fresh ones.

It should also calm them down to be in a smaller, warmer, more enclosed space. They will probably be quieter when they feel more secure.

Tonya
02-24-2004, 11:02 PM
Thank you!!! I will do that right now!

Twisterdog
02-24-2004, 11:11 PM
Just a thought ... you said they were "brother and sister" ... do you actually know what sex they are, or were you just saying that because of their names? If I remember correctly, they have to be a certain age before you can tell?

The reason I ask is ... if your brother has a rooster, and one of these babies is also a male ... he will more than likely have serious problems when they grow up. One rooster likes to have the hens to himself, a little harem. Depending on the species, rooster can and do fight to the death. I remember my grandma's roosters fighting until all were dead but one. :(

Fox-Gal
02-24-2004, 11:11 PM
We've had so many baby chickens in the house of the years (my husband loves chickens) that I guess I'm just use to the noise. But the mess I will never get use too. If you have some hay/straw throw that in there with them, it will help the mess, even some sand or dirt from the yard, if you have too. If not you are going to have some really really messy chicks.

Baby chickens are so cute. I think it's so neat that you got him some baby chickens for his 21st birthday. All my brother wanted on his 21st birthday was to go to a bar. :rolleyes: So typical.

Tonya
02-24-2004, 11:16 PM
I just made the brother sister thing up. lol. We can't tell what they are. I talked to my brother's wife about getting him chicks beforehand. She told me that if another winds up being a rooster, she is able to seperate them. They have alot of space.

Tonya
02-24-2004, 11:17 PM
BTW, Fox Gal...we got him a keg too. :rolleyes: God forbid if he has a 21st birthday without drinking. I'm just going to have out at the party the first few hours. I don't think it's going to be my forte. lol.

Fox-Gal
02-24-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Just a thought ... you said they were "brother and sister" ... do you actually know what sex they are, or were you just saying that because of their names? If I remember correctly, they have to be a certain age before you can tell?

The reason I ask is ... if your brother has a rooster, and one of these babies is also a male ... he will more than likely have serious problems when they grow up. One rooster likes to have the hens to himself, a little harem. Depending on the species, rooster can and do fight to the death. I remember my grandma's roosters fighting until all were dead but one. :(

I was thinking the same thing too. You can't tell the sex till they get older, So little Jeff could be a little girl, etc. Hopfully they will do ok for, while they are still young. Once they grow up though he might have to seperate them. But it sounds like you had chickens before so I'm sure you know about that.

Fox-Gal
02-24-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
BTW, Fox Gal...we got him a keg too. :rolleyes: God forbid if he has a 21st birthday without drinking. I'm just going to have out at the party the first few hours. I don't think it's going to be my forte. lol.

LOL now that's a typical 21st.

Don't party to hard now and keep the chickens away from the keg. :D

slleipnir
02-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Sooooooooooooooo cute!!!

jenfer
02-24-2004, 11:51 PM
You are a good sis, Tonya. :D

Crikit
02-25-2004, 12:03 AM
No a dumb thing to do is to drive down the road blindfolded with your hands tied together by bubble tape (you know that like three feet string of gum) getting those chicks was sweet...they're so cute. :D

luckies4me
02-25-2004, 12:09 AM
They are adorable. I would love to have my own chickens one day. I love the silkies! :D

Tell your brother Happy Birthday for me. :)

popcornbird
02-25-2004, 12:56 AM

Tonya:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p3177999f6d27f16786bed87f0035791c/f9855b63.jpg

Oh my gosh!!! CUTENESS OVERLOAD! *scoops chick up and kisses it* SO CUTE!!!!

This little baby reminds me of my Henny Penny..........a darling little chick hen that I had when I was about 10 years old. My dad was gone to the countryside and found a pet store on the way home that sold chicks, ducklings, etc. He came home with eight...........YES EIGHT!!! :eek: And considering we lived in the CITY, it was *not* an appropriate place to raise chicks, let alone 8 of them! :eek: My brother and I were THRILLED!!! My mom on the other hand, was not so thrilled, but their cuteness captured her mind and she didn't say anything. Anyway, we enjoyed them for 2 months..........they were the sweetest little things, absolutely adorable, and ALL of them looked different. Henny Penny was my absolute favorite. She was a golden chick, extremely friendly and loving, sooooooo cuddly, and the sweetest chick you could ask for. I loved them all, but loved Henny Penny with all my heart. They were tiny at first, but then they grew...........and grew..........and got messier and messier and noisier and noisier. After 2 months, they were too big for our little yard and barely had any room to run around and play. (My point in this story........what we did was more dumb!) My dad talked to a friend of his who lived in the countryside and raised chickens as pets, and he agreed to take all of them. You have no idea how much I cried the day the chicks moved out and went to their new home. They called us with updates about them all the time, and even sent us their eggs when they grew up (which were green), but I just missed them so much. Your babies reminded me of my chicks. Now I miss them again. :( Boo hoo hoo.

*dreams of baby chicks*

CathyBogart
02-25-2004, 01:50 AM
Awwww!! Is he the one who has the ratlets? If so, can you PM me an update after Sat? :)

Tonya
02-25-2004, 07:31 AM
Yes, it's the same brother wolfchan! I'll pm you pics of the ratties!

I feel so guilty for putting the chicks down! They slept quietly all night long. I decided to put them into the bathroom in my bedroom since they'd been quiet. (And so that I can use my shower :rolleyes: ) They flapped their little wings at me and chirped. Awww, they're so cute! I'm sorry little chickies for saying that all you do is mess and make noise!

catnapper
02-25-2004, 08:04 AM
Thank you for forwarning me of how messy and noisy they are because they are too darn cute - I might have run out to find myself a chick! We could have built a coop out back... we do go through a TON of eggs....

:D :D :D :D

ramanth
02-25-2004, 09:24 AM
CUUUTTEE!!!

CHEEP! CHEEP! CHEEP!!! :D

HoRsELUvR
02-25-2004, 02:12 PM
They're so adorable!:D

Tonya
02-25-2004, 07:22 PM
Just thought I'd post today's pics of Tonya and Jeff. They're chirping away right now. I transfered them to my back shower. Don't laugh at the mold in the pics, it's an abandoned bathroom. lol. The shower is to freaking small to fit in. I can't remember the last time I used it.

Snuggles!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p7bea41479fdf3a7cc496b27b7096f478/f984a30b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid104/p4733b3d3cd16f6b374f62024467aaa42/f984a313.jpg

Lixx
02-25-2004, 07:32 PM
So Adorable!!!!!!!! I miss my chickens:(

green_chameleon_girl
02-25-2004, 08:44 PM
AWW ADORABLE! But I must ask where did you buy them:eek: :) Lol they are absolutly cute !!:D

K9soul
02-25-2004, 09:38 PM
That is certainly cuteness overload :D

Tonya
02-25-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by green_chameleon_girl
AWW ADORABLE! But I must ask where did you buy them:eek: :) Lol they are absolutly cute !!:D

I bought them at the feed store. Which is where all the farmers buy their feed for farm animals and whatnot. BTW, they were only $2.50 or $3.00 a piece.

Tonya
02-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Don't little chickies ever play? Is all they do is sleep?

popcornbird
02-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Don't little chickies ever play? Is all they do is sleep?

When we had our chicks, they slept all the time for the first week........then became the most hyper/playful balls of fluff on the planet. They play A LOT, but your babies don't look more than a few days old, so they are still very young babies, and sleep like babies do. ;)

green_chameleon_girl
02-26-2004, 04:29 PM
LOL AWW THEY ARE SO ADORABLE!! OHH we have a feed store!! I wanna see if they have baby chicks! It would be so cute to have one! But because I live in the city it would be to hard;) :) :D :cool: :p