PDA

View Full Version : feeding times

countrycowgirl
02-24-2004, 07:59 PM
I was just wondering what times in the day all of ya'll feed your dogs. I feed in the afternoon but I want to start feeding them in the mornings too. what are ya'lls suggestions. I want them to be on a better feeding program because I know it is really import believe me I know I get up at 6 every morning to feed my show heifer anyways what are ya'll suggestions :confused:

isis
02-24-2004, 08:02 PM
I feed Emma in the morning and at night.

I just feed Sully when his bowl is empty. witch is probablt once every two days.:D

guster girl
02-24-2004, 08:07 PM
My puppy is only two months old, so, I feed him four times a day....11, 3, 7, and, 11. :) But, we'll knock it down to three when he's older. And, maybe even two later. :) It's definitely better to at least feed twice a day. How old is your dog?

Lissa
02-24-2004, 08:09 PM
morning and night except when she is really active then I give her some more mid day. She never finishes her food though and she is her ideal weight so I don't worry about over feeding. The vet said as long as she controls how much she eats and stays a good weight I can just keep her bowl full if I want.

cali
02-24-2004, 08:18 PM
breaky anytime between 11AM-1PM and supper is a 6.

binka_nugget
02-24-2004, 08:49 PM
I feed them at 7:30am for breakfast on weekdays and 6-8pm for dinner. On weekends, the time for breakfast varies. It's usually between 10-1.

BitsyNaceyDog
02-24-2004, 09:00 PM
My dogs each get a biscuit for breakfast and then eat supper around 6pm.

cloverfdx
02-24-2004, 09:10 PM
The 3 adult dogs get fed in the evening, at about 8pm (Later if we have had Flyball training).

And Elvis (4 months old) gets offered breakfast but has not been eating it the last couple of weeks(I offer it to him at about 10, then again at about midday if i am home). And he has dinner at about the same time as the others.

edit: Elvis does not eat much during the day no matter what i offer, but he is completly healthy and is doing fine on his 1 and a bit meals a day.

countrycowgirl
02-24-2004, 09:14 PM
Thank all of ya'll I was alsowondering do you feed canned food if so how much and how often?

Originally posted by guster girl
My puppy is only two months old, so, I feed him four times a day....11, 3, 7, and, 11. :) But, we'll knock it down to three when he's older. And, maybe even two later. :) It's definitely better to at least feed twice a day. How old is your dog?
I own a one year old rat terrier a one year old beagle mix and a 7 month terrier mix i feed in the afternoon but i want to feed in the mornings too to get them on a better scudule and i mean they are the ideal wieght i just feel it would be heather for them do you know what i mean

Tonya
02-24-2004, 09:29 PM
My dogs go through phases. When they're active, I free feed them. Sometimes I go through phases where I'm super busy at work. They sometimes go a few weeks without a trip to the dog park or walks because I'm to tired. During those times, I feed them 2 cups in the morning (5am) and 3 (7pm) cups at night.

captain
02-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix
My dogs each get a biscuit for breakfast and then eat supper around 6pm.

Ditto that!

K9soul
02-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Mine get breakfast early from their Daddy at about 6 a.m., get training treats in the afternoon, and then each a biscuit at night.

I used to feed them their main meal at night, but they seemed to be putting on more weight so I switched to morning, so they have the day to burn it off instead of laying around all night after eating :D

I will also adjust their amounts if they are more active.

wolf_Q
02-24-2004, 09:53 PM
I give Nebo a bowl of food when I leave to go to work in the morning (around 7:30 am) then again when I get home...usually he won't even touch his dinner unless I give it to him late, around 8-9 even though I get home around 4-5. He gets 1 1/2 cups each time, but he rarely eats both of them, or even all of one of them. So, he's supposed to eat 3 cups but I bet he eats about 1 cup, I keep using his food from the night before the next morning. :rolleyes:

He is healthy though, and has gained weight even, he's just not a big eater.

lovemyshiba
02-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Our dogs are fed twice a day, and the times are around 10 am for breakfast, and 8 pm for dinner. It varies a little, depending on our work schedules though: On Mondays, I have to be at work by 10, so they eat around 9 to get it all in and out:o; Tuesdays I work at night, and my husband doesn't get home until 8:30 or so, so they eat a little later.
It's usually within those time frames though, and Kito doesn't always eat, but that way it keeps them regular!!

As far as the amounts go though, Kito may eat a cup or a little over a day (he decides when he is done), Abbey and Riley eat about 3 cups each a day, and Jada eats 4-5 cups a day. Jada and Kito also get Kongs when we are away during the day, filled with treats and cream cheese or peanut butter, and Riley and Abbey get treats.

micki76
02-24-2004, 10:53 PM
We free feed and they seem to eat about twice per day. Sometimes Chester eats three times and sometimes only once. He's strange. :o

We don't do wet food anymore, too messy and I hate the way their breath smells from it.

captain
02-24-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
Jada and Kito also get Kongs when we are away during the day, filled with treats and cream cheese or peanut butter, and Riley and Abbey get treats.

Oh BOY - I WANT to be a DOG in your house!!!!!

BitsyNaceyDog
02-25-2004, 07:38 AM
originally posted by Tonya
I feed them 2 cups in the morning (5am) and 3 (7pm) cups at night.

Wow, thats a lot. I know they're big kids, but 5 cups a day is quite a bit. I guess if they're maintaining them selves then it's alright.

jenfer
02-25-2004, 11:51 AM
I feed Gigi in the morning and in the evening. I also gave her a kong stuffed with treats during the day when I am not home.

catnapper
02-25-2004, 12:17 PM
I give her a full bowl in the morning and Nicki free-feeds throughout the day.

She gets a cookie to come in from outside. Usually I try to limit it to one or two cookies a day.... the kids try to slip her more;)

tutebugs
02-25-2004, 12:19 PM
i feed chipper a mix of maxx nutrition kibble, ol roy bagged gourmet soft food and warm water in the morning, at about 10-10:30..if he seems hungry at lunch time...about 1, I give him just a little bit of the soft food..and at night, about 6-7 I give him another mixture same as in the morning. He seems to work out well that way. He very rarely wants anything at lunch so he pretty much just eats morning and night, has a treat at some point and chews his rawhide the rest of the day.

countrycowgirl
02-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks to all this is really helping i know i am asking a lot of questions but....... i have another one lol. I need to break lil bit from the habit of begging cause it is driving my dad insane any suggestions??:confused: :D

pitc9
02-26-2004, 12:15 PM
Not responding to them when they are begging will make them realize they are not going to get anything out of it!

Ignore Lil Bit when he/she begs. Don't make eye contact
Give praise when good things are done, and a big strong NO when Lil Bit does something you don't want him/her to do!

As for feeding, they get treats in the morning and when I get home from work they both get 2 cups of ProPlan dry lamb & rice, and they split a can of ProPlan. Once in a while Buddy will keep licking the bowl, so I dump more dry in, and he'll eat it.
When I first got them both they were so underweight I free fed them both for a year, Buddy would eat all day long, and Sierra would pick here and there, but would eat a good amount once a day. They both still could stand to gain more weight, but Buddy, because of being under so much stress (he is deathly afraid of my hubby) has stopped putting weight on. He's at 82 lbs, and Sierra is skinny also, but her build goes along with it, she's tall and thin.

Rio and Me
02-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Rio gets 3 mugs of kibble in the morning (warm water added just to make the gravey) and thats it, treats throughout the day, on demand, rawhide stick at night.
she's a well fed pupper, when its cold i give her half a mug at bedtime just so she has something in her stomach at night.
Ky and Rio

tomkatzid
02-26-2004, 01:14 PM
11:30 am and 11:30 pm for the pups, Kelcee has dry food all the time.

Kiia
02-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Teeko gets a half a cup of food with a fresh bowl of water first thing in the morning at 6:15 a.m. (I take the water away when he's done eating so he doesn't drink at it and have to go to the bathroom while we aren't there). Then another half a cup of food with a fresh bowl of water at dinner time 6:00 p.m., well he gets the water as soon as I get home. The water is taken away between 8:00 - 9:30, depending his activity level.

tikeyas_mom
02-26-2004, 03:04 PM
I feed Tikeya at night around 5:00 pm. Once a day. only one cup. She is on a diet.

Shelteez2
02-26-2004, 07:23 PM
My dogs get fed their breakfast anywhere between 5:00am and 6:00am Tuesday-Saturday. Sundays and Mondays are our days to sleep in so they get breakfast anywhere between 9:00am and 12:00pm.

They get fed dinner anywhere between 5:30pm and 7:00pm.

Emily gets 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the evening.
Clipse gets 1/2 cup twice a day.

Foam
02-26-2004, 07:27 PM
Ozzy and Darlin get fed twice a day. Once in the morning, and once at night. :)

Kfamr
02-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Simba and Nala get one cup in the morning when I wake up.
One cup at around 6-7.

Their 'treats' veri. They always get one before bedtime though.

*LabLoverKEB*
02-27-2004, 05:24 PM
My dad feeds Sadie around 5 in the morning, and I feed her at 5 at night. Sadie gets about 2 treats per day.:)

cali
02-27-2004, 05:39 PM
cloverFDX's post reminded me about flyball days lol, on sundays they dont eat breaky at all, last time we tried that they all ended up sick at practice. and during flyball tourny weekends they get no breaky, and supper at night when we come home, or if its an out of towner then they get fed outside at the motel :p and we dont measure their food, we just eye it, like "this bone looks happy size" kinda thing.