PDA

View Full Version : A great solution to an old dog problem!

boscibo
02-24-2004, 07:50 AM
Bandit (in my sig) is 13 years old and has some mobility problems, especially with stairs. We built a ramp from our patio doors so he wouldn't have to jump up a step to get into the house. The problem was, even with textured paint, he would still slip on occasion. He has a big problem with remembering to go to the bottom of the ramp, instead he likes to get on it at the top, defeating the purpose of the ramp. When he slipped, he would avoid the ramp, and it was a big problem getting him back in the house. We brainstormed for solutions, a rug would get torn up too easily, and still might slip. We bought the stick on grippy stuff (like sandpaper), but that was still a little slick. One day we were at the farm supply store and saw the rubber cow mats - they are big and very heavy. We bought one for $37 and it works perfectly. It has a grooved surface and Bandit just digs in and pops right up the ramp! It fit our 4'x6' ramp perfectly, but could be cut to size.

So if anyone has a dog with this sort of problem, a cow mat might be a good solution. I wish I would have known about them before, it would have saved a lot of problems.

guster girl
02-24-2004, 10:16 AM
That's a great idea! I couldv'e used that for my little old RB dog, Bruno. Thanks for posting it. I figured I'd give it a deserved bump up the line. I'll remember it for the future, though!

CathyBogart
02-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Great idea!! :)