PDA

View Full Version : We Got A New Pet!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-23-2004, 06:58 PM
Welcome Home baby CHARLIE the COCKATIEL!

*Grin*

He looks exactly like PCB's Muffin!

Right now he's just chillin in his cage, still a little scared when I took him out of the box, but when I held him, he calmed down a little, but then my brother reached out to pet him, it scared him and he flew off my finger. But he's doing great now!

Kfamr
02-23-2004, 06:59 PM
AWWW!! Congrats!! :D

Pictures ASAP!! I wish I could get a birdy, but I just don't see it possible with two dogs.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-23-2004, 07:00 PM
I don't have a digi cam, but I'll see if my dad can bring it home tomorrow!

*grins*

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-23-2004, 07:30 PM
He's sleeeeeeping *shhh*

:)

Rottieluver45
02-23-2004, 07:33 PM
awwwww! congrats! I can`t wait for pictures!!:D

popcornbird
02-23-2004, 07:34 PM
Ahhhhhhhh! You got a cockatiel!!! :D:D:D

*So happy*

I want to see pics! LOTS of them! How old is he? Is it a confirmed *he*? Tell us more! Congrats! :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-23-2004, 07:47 PM
We don't know if "he" is really a "he". And we forgot to ask his age. He seems pretty young, his tail feathers are a little tattered. I'm asking my dad to bring the digital camera home so I can take pics of him Wednesday when I come back to my moms.

:D

popcornbird
02-23-2004, 07:59 PM
If he's a boy, and has pearl markings like Muffin on his back and wings........you'll know he's a boy if he loses his pearl markings after his first or second molt. If he keeps them, then most likely, *he* would be a *she*, because female pearl cockatiels normally keep their pearling for life. :p Baby tiels often have tattered tail feathers, so he/she is probably young. Where'd you get him from?

Tweety_Pie
02-23-2004, 08:09 PM
YAY MEG! :D CONGRATS!:D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
If he's a boy, and has pearl markings like Muffin on his back and wings........you'll know he's a boy if he loses his pearl markings after his first or second molt. If he keeps them, then most likely, *he* would be a *she*, because female pearl cockatiels normally keep their pearling for life. :p Baby tiels often have tattered tail feathers, so he/she is probably young. Where'd you get him from?

I take that back, he doesn't look *exactly* like Muffin, he has no pearl spots on his back. I was so excited I didn't really see that Muffin had spots!

We got him from PetCo. I love him!

popcornbird
02-23-2004, 08:15 PM
I'm assuming he's a normal grey cockatiel then? Petco usually has the birds' hatch dates written on their *cages*. At least the Petco I go to does. It would be nice to know how old he is, but in general, from what I've seen, Petco's tiels are normally 3-6 months old.

Be sure to start feeding him veggies (broccoli, carrots, peas, corn, etc.) and pellets at an early age. They get stubborn if you start late, and they need those foods in their diet. I'm sure he already eats seeds as well. Is he already tame? Good luck, and if you have any tiel questions, feel free to ask! I'm going to bug you until you post pics! Can't wait to see Charlie, the new PT feathered baby! :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-23-2004, 08:17 PM
PS-- Dad's bringing home the digi cam on Friday, so I PROMISE pics on Saturday! :D

Kfamr
02-23-2004, 08:20 PM
I can't wait for the pictures! :D

Where'd you get him from? and how did you come up with the name? :p

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-23-2004, 08:25 PM
Yep. We were reading this book and it said you could give him Jalepenos!

*can see Charlie screaming "WATER WATER!!" and running to his food dish...*

Anyway, yeah, I told my mom to get some veggies next time she goes to the store.

Charlie... Well, the name is a joke between a friend and I... Here's the story, and don't think we are mean or anything!

We go to Chicago every year, and at her mom's show, there's this guy named Charlie, and he's gay. He is the nicest guy, we aren't making fun of him, but he is so funny. So that's his name. But you extend the "a", and take out the "r".

"Chaaaaaaalie."

:D We're so dumb...

GoldenRetrLuver
02-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Oh, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D Cockatiels are great, you'll love him.

There's so many tiels on the board now! See what you did, Poptart?! ;):p

luckies4me
02-23-2004, 08:43 PM
Can't wait to see pictures of your new tiel and congratulations!

PCB, my family is moving to Oregon this summer so it looks like you will get to see plenty of tiel pics soon! :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-23-2004, 09:13 PM
Hehe..

Charlie's doing good, he was busy exploring the living room floor, and chewing on some cords (naw-tee bird!) He's still a little skittish around people... and he enjoys pooping on the floor! :)

G.P.girl
02-23-2004, 09:48 PM
Cool! i wish i could have a birdie!

Katiesmom
02-23-2004, 10:13 PM
Congrats on getting Charlie.....I want a birdie:( :D

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Yeah, he's doing good right now. I think he's sleeping again.... :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-24-2004, 04:29 PM
So far so good! He enjoys sitting in this fake tree my mom has, and I tried to give him some banana this morning. Anne tells me not to feed him citrus... is this true? In the book it said I could feed him grapefruit, oranges... etc. etc. Is there anything else I should know?:eek:

Charlie hasn't mastered step up, but he did step up this morning onto my finger when I got him out of the tree. He's still a little skittish around people though.

popcornbird
02-24-2004, 05:13 PM
I don't know if he'll like banana.........cockatiels aren't usually too fond of fruits. They prefer veggies. Popcorn and Muffin like apple on occasion. Just a note here. *Never* feed a bird fruit pits/seeds, including apple seeds, because they are toxic and can be harmful. In veggies, avacado is a big no-no. My birds don't like fruits much, but they LOVE broccoli, peas, corn, carrots, and other veggies. Also try nuts...........cockatiels love almonds, walnuts, etc. Only give small amounts on occasion, because nuts can be fattening, but they do enjoy limited amounts, and it is good for them too.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks PCB!