PDA

View Full Version : Thought this was so pretty (picture)

K9soul
02-23-2004, 06:24 PM
The other day, I got up and it had been snowing during the night, but it was a warmer wet snow so it stuck to every little branch in every tree. It was a breathtaking scene in the morning! Later in the day it got up to around 40 F so it melted off of the trees.

I cut the size in half but it's even prettier if you can see it full size, so I'll attach the full sized file for anyone who wants to see it :)

http://www.doordolt.com/~jfrank/Misc/snowtree.jpg

Kfamr
02-23-2004, 06:36 PM
Gorgeous!

I'm so jealous of your snow! Darn Florida.:( :p

bluekat
02-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Wow! That's gorgeous!:D

Kay- I could send some snow over to you! I'm so sick of it now, lol:p

K9soul
02-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Hehe you wouldn't be jealous in the springtime when it melts and the yard turns into a mud pit with a full winter's worth of dog poop to clean up! :p

But it is very beautiful. I always say I'd love to live in a warmer climate in the winter, but I think I'd really miss snow after awhile if we were somewhere where we didn't get any.

luckies4me
02-23-2004, 07:20 PM
It's nice to know I am not the only one who thinks snow covered trees are pretty. Here are a few pics I took when it snowed here last, that remind me of your picture, which is beautiful BTW. :)

Well one of them won't show up in Photobucket so I will just attach it, but here's another I thought you would like. :)

http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/luckies4me/miscellaneous/tree2.jpg

slleipnir
02-23-2004, 07:26 PM
Trust me Kay, if you had our snow, you wouldn't be jealous.

Awesome pics!

K9soul
02-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Oh my Cass, I love them, especially with the berries up close. The color contrast is spectacular. That is a very beautiful photo!

The tree up front in mine is a Mountain Ash, but this year cedar waxwings ate all the berries off of it!

luckies4me
02-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks! :D I thought you would like it. It's one of my favorite pictures!

I don't know what type of trees ours are, do you think you can tell from the pictures? Here, the robins eat the berries, and we have some other type or birdies too that like to eat them. The squirrels also think they are a fantastic snack. :)

K9soul
02-23-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I don't know what type of trees ours are, do you think you can tell from the pictures?

Hmm, the berries remind me of crabapple or black cherry tree. When I lived in Missouri we had a black cherry tree in the yard, the robins went nuts over the berries, but I don't remember the berries staying on the tree through winter, so I'm guessing some sort of crabapple. Could be totally off though! Whatever it is, I really love the picture, it's just beautiful!

luckies4me
02-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Stop it, your making me blush. :D:p hehe

Are crabapples edible?

BCBlondie
02-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Oh wow! Beautiful pics!!!!:D

Karen
02-23-2004, 08:52 PM
They're not crabapples - crabapples drop off in the fall, then often ferment on the ground when we have unexpectedly warm fall New England days, which in turn causes the birds who like to eat the sweet-smelling mushy fruit to get kinda tispy! ;)

How big are the "berries?"

luckies4me
02-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Well they are about cherry size. They look like they can be eaten, which is why I asked. :p I don't want to be tempted if it will make me sick.

Karen
02-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Well they are about cherry size. They look like they can be eaten, which is why I asked. :p I don't want to be tempted if it will make me sick.

Break one open - does it have a cherry-like pit? Does it smell like cherry? That's the only way to know ...

What color are the blossoms when it flowers?

K9soul
02-23-2004, 09:12 PM
Well I know in Missouri the berries on crabapple trees fell off like that but in MN sometimes I have seen our crabapple trees keep their berries in the winter, but they are shriveled up like little raisins. I'm not sure if it's differing varieties or just difference in weathers (i.e. humid or dryer or colder or warmer etc.)

Should take a look at a tree identifying book for your area in the summer and try to find out maybe when it has leaves. :)