PDA

View Full Version : grrrr blair and nail clipping!

cali
02-23-2004, 04:28 PM
ok, amazing on saterday night we managed to clip 6 of blairs nails, this required 3 people, and a lot of time. here is the problem, blair HATES having his nails clipped. now with our other dogs this was never a problem, feed them peanut butter while there nails are clipped now they line up for nail clipping lol, blair is another story, he see's nail clippers, he flips out and wont do anything but hide, he wont even take food if the nail clippers are in the same room as him. we had to take our last resort after trying everything we could think of, we had to cover his head with a towel, and retrain his body, flip him over on a pillow, one person had to restrain his head and neck, and another his body, while my mom did the clipping, we got 3 at a time this way. unfortinalty this is the only is we can get anywhere near him with nail clippers. he is so frightend at just the sight of them that we need to cover his head, but restraining him like this feels horrable, I feel so sorry for the poor guy, so any idea's on how we could get near him with nail clippers, thats not so gruff? :confused:

Lissa
02-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Layla is the same way. She found the clippers and hid them. I gave up and took her to a groomers and payed 5 bucks and made them do it. Of course she behaved for them...

tatsxxx11
02-23-2004, 05:18 PM
My Star's the exact same way! We don't have enough people in the house to do them ourselves!:D So, at the vet's, it's me, Dr. Paul and gargantchuan woman (the vet tech...who is BIG! :eek: I hold her head and neck, the vet her body and doc does the nails. It's heartbreaking because she looks like she's going to die, heart pounding, she's shaking terribly and her eyes are popping out of her head!!!!:( The vet has me give her sternal (chest) rubs HARD while he does it; it helps to calm them down. Since a puppy, I handled her feet every day, brought out the clippers and involved them in some fun event, like getting a treat, making happy voice, and so on. She was always scared:( I don't know what else you can try...maybe you could try taking them out every day very casually, sitting with Cali with them in your hand but doing nothing. Give her a treat and praise her while she's seen them. Try doing maybe one nail at one time, give her a treat and praise her some more. Ugh. I feel for you! Maybe someone else has some good ideas.