PDA

View Full Version : The White Stripes

Denyce
02-23-2004, 03:09 PM
I just purchased their CD Elephant. I became interested in them after the movie Cold Mountain. I have to say I am REALLY enjoying this CD. It is slightly reminiscent of Led Zepplain. In the respect of good guitar and story telling. I was just wondering if there are any other fans out there and if so how does this CD compare to their earlier ones?

Denyce

Kfamr
02-23-2004, 03:11 PM
They're ok, although i've only heard a few songs. Most of my friends don't like them though. :p

catnapper
02-23-2004, 03:18 PM
I listen to them only because it reminds me of the heavy metal I grew up with - when music was fun and powerful. I know all of the words and my husband does too. We floored the kids last weekend when we were in the car and were singing along to one of their new songs... their mouths dropped open!:D I don't think the kids are too into them though.

Ah, we might be middle-aged, but always young at heart!:)

guster girl
02-23-2004, 03:43 PM
I love the white stripes. the guy, jack, had a role in "cold mountain". :) he sings in the movie, I love his voice!

RubyMutt
02-23-2004, 07:32 PM
I love them :D 'White Blood Cells' is my favorite of their albums. If you like White Elephant definitely pick that one up :)

dappledoxie
02-23-2004, 07:38 PM
I like them, I have that CD and the CD before. I think they are a really good band with a neat sound.

slleipnir
02-23-2004, 07:40 PM
I've only heard a couple songs..they;re ok I guess

luckies4me
02-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Yes I love them. I also like The Vines, The Strokes etc. I like punk, emo, indie type bands the best. :)

Denyce
02-23-2004, 09:15 PM
White Blood Cells huh? I love the songs Ball and Biscuit and The Hardest Button to Button. I spent the whole day at work just rocking out. There were only a couple of the song I wasn't crazy about on the CD. I will have to get White Blood Cells next. Now I will just have to hope they come to State College some year.

And I too am a middle aged rocker who refuses to grow up....41 here and still head banging. Good thing I don't have kids to embarress...:D :D :D

Uabassoon
02-23-2004, 09:22 PM
I really like the White Stripes, I saw them in concert last year.

amoore
02-24-2004, 02:21 PM
I like them, they are more like some of the older bands I like. I see there vidios on VH1.:)

HoRsELUvR
02-24-2004, 02:34 PM
I love the White Stripes.I dont have Elephant, but I heard it was a good cd.

Miss Meow
02-24-2004, 04:22 PM
I love the White Stripes :)

Have you tried The Datsuns? New Zealand band, excellent way to rock ya socks off ;)

Vermontcat
02-24-2004, 05:37 PM
I like them.
My son was listening to the their song "Seven Nation Army" earlier this afternoon and now that beat is stuck in my head!

wolf_Q
02-24-2004, 07:16 PM
I've almost bought that CD (Elephant) several times. I love all the songs I've heard on the radio.

I think I'll go buy it now! :D

Denyce
02-24-2004, 08:28 PM
I will have to check out the Datsuns. Interesting name.

For those that don't have Elephant it is way worth the money. A rocking CD. I left it in the car today and my hubby had the car. It made for a long day at work. :D I only had the Cold Mountain CD with me...a good one but not quite as rocking!

I am thinking that next week I will be back at the store buying another CD!

Denyce

LoudLou
02-25-2004, 01:54 AM
Jack and Meg are fun... however, they make their crew wear funny suits and hats. They are a fun bunch... not much for their music, but they pay on time.;)

Nomilynn
02-25-2004, 04:11 AM
I can't stand them :o The guy can NOT sing and the woman has no personality. :p

Denyce
02-25-2004, 11:58 AM
Gee that is too bad you don't like them.

I do however find that Jack White has quite an incredible range to his singing. In just two CD's he has sung anything from hard rock to southern bluesy rock to old fashion bluegrass to soft emotional ballads. In all of them he sounds very different. To me that is singing.

I find the singers such as Timberlake to have little talent. Most of what he does is computerized, sterile and all pretty much the same....very little diversity at all. *yawn*

Denyce

Denyce
02-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Loud Lou,

Isn't that most important in the industry? That they pay on time? *L* I take it from your comment you have worked with them? I keep meaning to talk to my brother in law about them...he is a sound technicion. I always love his opinions...*L*

Denyce

amoore
02-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Denyce
Gee that is too bad you don't like them.

I do however find that Jack White has quite an incredible range to his singing. In just two CD's he has sung anything from hard rock to southern bluesy rock to old fashion bluegrass to soft emotional ballads. In all of them he sounds very different. To me that is singing.

I find the singers such as Timberlake to have little talent. Most of what he does is computerized, sterile and all pretty much the same....very little diversity at all. *yawn*

Denyce

I agree with you Denyce, I think the White Stripes gets the several age groups to buy their CDs because they do have such music that can touch any age group! They are great!

:)

LoudLou
03-01-2004, 11:48 PM
Loud Lou,

Isn't that most important in the industry? That they pay on time? *L* I take it from your comment you have worked with them? I keep meaning to talk to my brother in law about them...he is a sound technicion. I always love his opinions...*L*

Denyce

Yes, we have and it is VERY important that they pay on time:D ( I had to fire O-Town back in their day because of such nonsense:rolleyes: )... What I want know is....What IS up with Jack and his love of Taxidermy!!!! EEWWW!;)

Where does your brother-in-law work?

guster girl
03-02-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
I can't stand them :o The guy can NOT sing and the woman has no personality. :p

I'll admit, the girl is strange. I think she has TONS of personality, though. ;) But, Jack White has a great voice, he just sings differently than what's considered pretty. If you want to see "Cold Mountain", he sings in that, and, you can really hear his voice, just pure, not trying to sound cool or groovy or anything. Just pure voice. Anywho....

Nomilynn
03-02-2004, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by guster girl
I'll admit, the girl is strange. I think she has TONS of personality, though. ;) But, Jack White has a great voice, he just sings differently than what's considered pretty. If you want to see "Cold Mountain", he sings in that, and, you can really hear his voice, just pure, not trying to sound cool or groovy or anything. Just pure voice. Anywho....

I'll just put it this way. If I knew I could be rich singing as crappily as a lot of the new bands out there, like The White Stripes, The Vines, Billy Talent, etc, then I would have been rich a loooong time ago.

I guess I should have said the girl is boring. Any time I've seen a live (TV) performance, she's just been boring. Gimme a drummer with spunk like Lars any day. :)

Denyce
03-02-2004, 12:47 PM
To be perfectly honest I started this thread to have a discussion amoung other fans...if you reread my original post you will see I was pretty clear about that. I can respect you don't care for their music however, I really don't feel your additions to this thread were what I was looking for. I was trying for a positive discussion of their music and what other FANS thought of their other CD's. :)

Denyce

Nomilynn
03-02-2004, 07:53 PM
To be perfectly honest I started this thread to have a discussion amoung other fans...if you reread my original post you will see I was pretty clear about that. I can respect you don't care for their music however, I really don't feel your additions to this thread were what I was looking for. I was trying for a positive discussion of their music and what other FANS thought of their other CD's. :)

Denyce

Well excuse me, but I thought differeing opinions were welcome. I guess I'll know never to disagree with your taste in music again.

moosmom
03-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Everyone has a right to agree to disagree.

Personally, I've never heard the group so I HAVE no opinion. Josh Groban and Jim Brickman beat headbanging music ANYDAY!!!