PDA

View Full Version : Argh, *^%$##$ wolves and dogs

Glacier
02-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Yesterday the size of my dog family doubled--although only temporarily. A friend of mine, Jim, was visiting here to compete in a dog sled race. He was badly injured when his sled hit a tree. (his dogs were all fine at that point). Jim has a broken pelvis and is hospitalized. As he was being cared for by the EMS team, he was only worried about his dogs. He had 14 of them here for the races. So I told him to worry about himself and I would take his dogs to my place and make sure they were cared for. So that makes 32 dogs at my place.

Last night, i got his dogs settled in--they are sled dogs and used to being chained so that's what I did. Then I went to the hospital to visit and let Jim know his "kids" were alright.

Two hours later, I come home to only 13 dogs--one of his is missing and one is bleeding and badly hurt. I know I had them tied up so they couldn't fight. I don't even know most of their names, let alone who gets along with who so I just kept them apart. Rush injured dog inside and then start calling neighbors looking for the other one. Sure enough one of the neighbors has a little brown sled dog--who's been ATTACKED by a wolf!!!

Rush them both to the vet--who confirms it is a wolf attack by the bite patterns. It's a miracle these two dogs are alive. I am calling them Lucky 1 and Lucky 2 until I can find out their real names! The vet says they will both likely be alright eventually. Called wildlife department who was stunned. Even the officer I talked to said "what kind of wolf walks into the middle of 32 dogs?".

I am just sick--Jim trusted me with his dogs and I let them get hurt. He's a single guy, no kids, and these little furheads are his life. I am not looking forward to going to the hospital this afternoon to tell him. At least I can tell him they will be alright, I can't imagine having to tell him they were dead!

If any of you have any spare prayers or good thoughts Jim and his dogs could sure use them!

pitc9
02-23-2004, 11:21 AM
I am so sorry!
I will be praying for you all!!!

EssTer
02-23-2004, 11:31 AM
OMG, itīs very sad to hear it :(
But Iīll really pray for those doggies and Jim, best whishes for them from me...

aly
02-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Did you find the missing dog yet ? :( :(

I am so so sorry :(

tutebugs
02-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
Rush injured dog inside and then start calling neighbors looking for the other one. Sure enough one of the neighbors has a little brown sled dog--who's been ATTACKED by a wolf!!!

I'm thinking the one that was missing is this one...the one that the neighbors found....????

Cinder & Smoke
02-23-2004, 12:26 PM
If I'm reading this correctly -
the "lil Brown Sled Dog" is the "missing" Pup -
who turned up at Glacier's Neighbor's house.

THANKS, God!!

Sure enough one of the neighbors has
a little brown sled dog --
who's been ATTACKED by a wolf!!!

If any of you have any spare prayers or good thoughts -
Jim and his dogs could sure use them!

Prayers on the way for Jim's Recovery -
and a *safe* stay for the Lonesome Dog Team!

Glacier
02-23-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by aly
Did you find the missing dog yet ? :( :(

I am so so sorry :(

Yup, that's the one my neighbor had found.

Both dogs are about to go into surgery. My vet says they are "one big bruise". They have some other nasty injuries--punctures and tears, but they should be alright in time. They will be moving into my house to recover. They'll be spoiled house dogs by the time Jim is ready to take them home!

ramanth
02-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Healing thoughts for Jim and his two injured pups. Hoping this family can be reunited soon.

*hugs* to you.

Karen
02-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Called wildlife department who was stunned. Even the officer I talked to said "what kind of wolf walks into the middle of 32 dogs?"

My instant thought? A rabid one. DOn't know how prevalent rabies is where you are, and I hope all the dogs have had their shots.

Certain 4-legged furry angels were surely watching over the dogs, thank goodness they will be all right, and that Lucky2 sought refuge with a kind neighbor.

You, the Luckies, and Jim will be in my prayers.

aly
02-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Oh, sorry I misunderstood. I'm sure you'll give them the love and care they need to be 100% better in no time. I'm so glad the neighbors found that one!

At first when you saiid you came home to 13 dogs, I thought you meant 13 out of the whole 32 :eek: :eek:

Cinder & Smoke
02-23-2004, 01:01 PM

They will be moving into my house to recover.

They'll be spoiled house dogs by the time
Jim is ready to take them home!

*Spoiling* Sled Dawgs
seems to be a habit of yours! :p

Keep up the *spoiling*!!

:D

Glacier
02-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by aly
Oh, sorry I misunderstood. I'm sure you'll give them the love and care they need to be 100% better in no time. I'm so glad the neighbors found that one!

At first when you saiid you came home to 13 dogs, I thought you meant 13 out of the whole 32 :eek: :eek:

Oh! no! My own dogs are alright--most of them are fenced. The two who were outside on tie-outs are huge. The wildlife guy asked if the attacked dogs were small. These two weigh 35 pounds each. My tie-out dogs each weigh 130 lbs. Wolf was smart enough to go for the little ones.

Jim's dogs will be fenced tonight. Another neighbor heard about the attack and has offered us a roll of fencing. So we will be throwing up a fence tonight--wont' be great or pretty, but they will be safer.

Glacier
02-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Karen
My instant thought? A rabid one. DOn't know how prevalent rabies is where you are, and I hope all the dogs have had their shots.

Certain 4-legged furry angels were surely watching over the dogs, thank goodness they will be all right, and that Lucky2 sought refuge with a kind neighbor.

You, the Luckies, and Jim will be in my prayers.

There's never been a case of rabies documented in the Yukon--at least not in the last 25 years or so. These dogs are all up on their shots. The wild-life officer says there is a lone black male roaming the area. They suspect he is injured and has been booted from his pack so he goes for easier prey than normal.

pitc9
02-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Hope all goes well at the vet.
Does Jim know yet about his dogs??

dukedogsmom
02-23-2004, 06:03 PM
That is so sad. But there's no way you could have know a wolf was going to come there like that. Jim should be happy he's got someone to take good care of them. I hope they'll be alright.

heinz57_79
02-23-2004, 07:03 PM
It's always scary when something like happens. One of my babies got attacked by a javelina (wild pig, really vicious!) while we were on a walk at night on a lighted bike path. Like the missing pup, she survived. And believe it or not, no scars! I'm sure that while it will be upsetting to your friend, he knows that in that kind of work/play there is always a risk of something like happening. And I'm sure he'll just be happy that the pup is alive and alright. I tell you what tho... I'd like to meet the wolf with elephant balls who walks into a pack of sled dogs! :eek: That's just nuts! I'm sure he limped off with a few boo boos of his own.

~JC

anna_66
02-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Oh my!

First your friend, then his dogs:( But I'm so glad to hear that they are going to be alright as well as your friend Jim.

I'll be keeping everyone of them in my prayers tonight.

delidog
02-23-2004, 07:24 PM
Yes,Glacier!!!
We will be praying for You,Jim and all of Your Collective Fur Kids!!!!
What Unfortunate luck!!!
But,Like Others have said....I am sure Jim will be grateful that someone is taking Good Care of his Kids....Could've Happened at his house too.....

Hugs and Prayers for You ALL!!!!

captain
02-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Glacier,

Prayers and hugs ............... to the precious furkids, and to Jim too!!

(AND also to you!!!!)

Tonya
02-25-2004, 07:16 PM
Well, I am glad to hear that they all are ok. How scary!

Lixx
02-25-2004, 07:37 PM
How awful! I'm so glad they will be ok!

luckies4me
02-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Wow, I can't believe that. Just make sure they are vaccinated! I have been owned by a wolf at one time in my life and not once has he nor any of his relatives acted in such a way! :(

shais_mom
02-26-2004, 12:53 AM
wow!
how scary!!!!
but it wasn't your fault or anything you could do!!
I am glad they are ok tho!!
Prayers on the way for everyone!