PDA

View Full Version : This is getting to scary :(

slleipnir
02-23-2004, 09:42 AM
My dad woke me up today around 8:30 (an hour or so before my midterm started) and told me Josie was having problems outside. So I ran outside to bring her in as its very cold out and tons of snow..I couldn't lift her thougth..but she managed to get inside on her own. So she had this seizure for about 15-20 mins..but what was weird was she seemed to have all her senses..like I would be whispering 'It's ok baby, you're ok' to her and she seemed to hear me and would wag her tail or perk her ears up. Anyway, she seemed to get over it, then went right into another one which lasted about 15-20 mins. This was the worse one shes had yet and she keeps getting them more often. It's really starting to scare me :( Do dogs die from seizures a lot? I know I'm being selfish but I can't bear the thought of losing her. She honestly is the only thing keeping me going and make my life worth living. I've been having a very tough time lately and she's always been there to make me happy. Again, I know I'm being selfish..I called my vet, but she isn't in until 4 :( So I'll try back then........sorry for the depressiveness of this but it really gets to me to see her like that and I can't do anything. I wish I could be the one having the seizures for her..I really do.

aly
02-23-2004, 09:47 AM
Do you have her on medication? My mind is not working right now so I can't remember the name of it. But there are meds that can stop most (or hopefully all) of her seizures. At a shelter I used to work at, we had a Chihuahua who had a bunch of seizures (vet said it was b/c he had distemper as a pup - he looked at the dog's teeth and could tell). Anyway, I held him through many seizures before we got him to a new vet and got some good meds. After he was on the meds, he stopped having them.

I have heard of dogs dying from seizures BUT I have heard more about dogs who are able to live a long healthy life even though they are epileptic. Just get her to the vet ASAP.

She will be in my prayers.

slleipnir
02-23-2004, 10:11 AM
My vet says she doesnt have them enough to take meds :( She says they need to have them like weekly or something

ramanth
02-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Here's some info that I found slleipnir.

http://www.canine-seizures.freeservers.com/

http://www.italiangreyhound.org/seizure.html

I wish I could be of more help. Kia only had the one seizure but I know the fear you have when it happens. I'm always wary of the fact that she may have another.

I hope Josie feels better soon. Remember... Zeke needs you too.

K9soul
02-23-2004, 10:41 AM
It sounds like she is having them more often now... I hope the vet will reconsider. I'd want her on medication if it were me :(

I'm hoping and praying for Josie and you. *hugs*

aly
02-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Well there's another type of medication that you just give them as needed when they are having a seizure. It will take them out of the seizure pretty quickly.

slleipnir
02-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the info Kimmy. I'll go take a look at them now.

I hope I didn't sound like I don't care for Zeke or something, cause I love him more then anything too, but it's just scary to see her like this.

I hope the vet can give me something too..I don't want it to get worse:(

K9soul
02-23-2004, 10:48 AM
I understand perfectly. I love both my pups immensly but if something isn't right with one of them, that one occupies my thoughts and anxieties greatly. I think it's only natural :)

Karen
02-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Big hugs to you and to Josie. We love you, and hope a way can be found to help her, shiny pretty girl.

Logan
02-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Audrey, stay on your vet for help, and if you can't get it there, then find another one. We know how special Josie is to you, Zeke too! Of course, you're worried about her, as we would all be!!! :)

Much love, and we will keep Josie, and you, in our prayers.

Logan

micki76
02-23-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Logan
Audrey, stay on your vet for help, and if you can't get it there, then find another one.

My advice exactly. If you think she should be on meds, then she should be IMO. I hate it when vets (or human vets) don't listen!

wolfie
02-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Oh, I hope she's okay soon! :( And you're not being selfish at all - you're being very caring! I hope that Josie gets better.

wolfsoul
02-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Has your vet considered giving Josie a CAT scan or a PET scan? She may have some damage to the outer layer of her brain.

I hope she gets better. :)

slleipnir
02-23-2004, 01:57 PM
I believe those are extremely expensive..she has mentioned it but said only if its really neccessary

DogLover9501
02-23-2004, 01:59 PM
I sent you a PM about the black lab I had that also had seizures, I hope it helps!

Twisterdog
02-23-2004, 05:16 PM
My dog Lacie started having seizures when she was a year old. My vet said she needed to have more than one per month before he would put her on medication. She was on pheno-barbitol for ten years. It stopped her seizures completely. It does cause liver damage in the long run, so make sure her dosage is monitored closely. I eventually weaned Lacie off pheno-barbitol when she was eleven years old. It took a year of gradually reducing the dosage. She no longer has seizures, or takes medication. Sometimes they do stop.

My vet said that it was probably epilepsy, or could be some other seizure disorder. She said she could run all kinds of expensive tests, tell me the name of the exact disorder she had ... and put her on pheno-barbitol anyway, no matter what. So, I didn't have the testing done. I'm sure each case is different.

I would talk to your vet again. If he/she is still unwilling to re-evaluate the situation, I would get a second opinion.

tatsxxx11
02-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Oh Audrey, I'm so sorry to hear that:( It's so frighening to watch seizures in humans and animals. I deifinitely think it's time to discuss a medication regime with the vet. As has been said, phenobarbital is commonly used in both humans and dogs with great success. And monitoring of liver function is definitely a must. I hope the dr. will listen to your concerns and consider a trial of medication. Two in a matter or minutes tells me it's time for a more agressive approach. I know how much you love Josie and how painful it is for you to see her suffering. And we know how much you love Zeke too, of course!!!! You know, I love them too!:) Be tough with the vet!!!;) And don't be afraid to get a second opinion if you need to! Love and hugs and slurpy licks to Josie from all of us!:) We're keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers. Sandra, Cody and Star

slleipnir
02-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Thanks. I've been trying to get ahold of my vet today, but shes either not there or busy..so I'll have to stop in sometime

Kfamr
02-23-2004, 06:37 PM
I have no advice to give but I hope there's a cure for Josie's seizures somewhere out there. :(

{{HUGS}}

anna_66
02-23-2004, 07:20 PM
Audrey I'm so sorry to hear that you and Jo both had to go through such an ordeal:(

I do hope they can find out what's causing them and give her something to help.

We all know how much you love her and Zeke. Give them some big hugs and kisses from me and my crew.

Let us know if you hear anything.

wolfie
02-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Good luck, I hope the vet will help!

BitsyNaceyDog
02-23-2004, 09:09 PM
I've known many dogs on phenobarbital, for seizures, and like twisterdog said it seems to stop them completely. I would ask your vet about it. I hope you did ok on your midterm, I know it's hard to concentrate when you're worried.