PDA

View Full Version : One of those small, vital questions...

Twink
02-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Should I wash the seal?

Remember Rizzo's "pet" stuffed seal that he carries downstairs from the loft every night and every day, faithfully? Well, Sauxus (the seal) is getting grungy. His once-soft fake fur is now kind of crusty and bristly. His color is even a little bit off. I feel a little sorry for him, since he was my stuffed seal before he was Rizzo's, and he was one of my prettiest stuffed critters. But, more to the point, I'm worried about germs and whatnot. So I'm thinking of stuffing him in a pair of pantyhose and giving him a whirl through the washing machine (just to be clear, here, I'm talking about the seal, NOT Rizzo!!! ;) )

But if I do wash Sauxus, will Rizzo recognize him afterward? I'd be heartbroken if, with the scent of drool gone, Rizzo thought that his seal had disappeared forever, and stopped his little ritual. It makes me happy every morning and every afternoon to find Sauxus lying in the middle of the floor, waiting for me to pitch him back into the loft!

Oh, someday soon I may be able to post pictures of Rizzo carrying Sauxus down the stairs! He's gotten less secretive about it lately, and if we stay up late (quietly), he'll go ahead and get the seal before we go to bed. So I've actually seen him in the act! The only problem is that our little digital camera (generous term) doesn't have a flash, and it's kind of dark when he goes for the seal.

I've also discovered that when he puts Sauxus down by our bed at night, he kneads him for a few minutes before proceeding to ignore him for the rest of the night!

catnapper
02-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Hmmm. I don't know how different cats are with scents than dogs, but I was Nicki's favorite stuffed toys fairly reguarly. I know what you mean, they can get pretty grungy looking. Nicki doesn't seem interested in the toy as soon as I bring it out of the laundry, but she'll always play with it the same day.

Could you perhaps give it a little "sponge bath" in the sink before trying the deep-dunk of the washing machine?

Dog1,Cats2
02-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Haven't needed to wash any of my cats toys, but I wash my dog's toys regularly. She watches as they go into the washer and then into the dryer and anxiously awaits their return!

A thought - after washing, maybe rub some catnip on it???

catmandu
02-23-2004, 08:55 AM
ASs lond , as it is not A Cat Nip toy , I think that it is safe to wash it , and Rixzzo will still play with it.Buth Cat Nip washes out , and they will not bother with the toy anymore!!

catcrazylady
02-23-2004, 08:56 AM
I have no answer because I have never had any cat toys that need the washer. I think you have some great suggestions here. I would try the sponge bath first and see what the reaction is. That should help you decide. I don't blame you because I wouldn't want him to stop either. That is so cute and sweet!!

Twink
02-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Good suggestions, everyone, thanks!

I think I might give the trial sponge bath a shot. I'd be more inclined to take the catnip route if Rizz treated the seal more like his other toys. I really can't figure out what it is to him. It's either prey, and he's bringing us his "kill," or he's in love with it. In any case, he's got some kind of weird relationship with it. I'm thinking of putting him on a daytime talk show. You know, "Next time on Donahue: Cats who bond with stuffed artic critters, and the meowmies who love them." ;)

RedHedd
02-23-2004, 02:05 PM
I wash Muffy the teddy bear often. Even though she doesn't smell the same immediately afterwards, the fur-kids still come back to knead on her and in a day or two they're back to their normal pestering the stuffed anids (that one is a Georgia-ism: Anid = small animals) :)

Twink
02-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Awwwwwww...somehow the image of your two fluffies kneading "Muffy the teddy bear" gives me incredible warm fuzzies!

:) :)

RedHedd
02-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Muffy was my RB Goldie's teddy bear. When she went over the Rainbow Bridge I couldn't bear to get rid of the bear even though it's very well-worn from all that kitty loving. Several months after adopting my new two, Mishi started kneading Muffy just like Goldie used to do. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy too.

Mishi giving Muffy some lovin' - this is the PG version:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p4c01f90cf1295017312fd69479b8369f/fadaf1ed.jpg
and then sometimes he's just my weird guy kitty :rolleyes:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid83/p70d75502ad639c0c3f882b3cd2f0d1fc/fadaf243.jpg

Mitzi doesn't touch Muffy - she prefers to knead on me. :)

CatDad
02-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Joey carries us the towels and we run them thourgh the washer all the time, and she still carries the same towels. She has branched out a little to carrying a certain pair of sock.

I understand about wanting to wash the seal, I know the towels would get pretty gross if I didn't wash them.

So I would give you a good chance that it would continue after a washing. However, I don't know for sure and I wouldn't want to do anything to interrupt that either. I am sure that it is really great.

If you wash it I would set it back in a promient place to be sure that she finds it. Just in case.:)

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.:)

Let us know how it goes.:D

moosmom
02-24-2004, 06:48 AM
My Munchkin, Shortie, loves my dirty socks :eek: I'm always finding them all over the place. She even sleeps with them on occasion. Sweet dreams??? Hardly!

RedHedd
02-25-2004, 06:35 PM
I'm dying to know - did you wash the seal?

Twink
02-25-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
I'm dying to know - did you wash the seal?

Not yet. I'm waiting for the weekend. Somehow big, traumatic events like this need plenty of time, so I don't want to do it on a workday!

Yes, I admit it. My cat has made me crazy. ;)

RedHedd, I just adore Mishi. He treats Muffy exactly like Rizz treats the seal. Including the "weird boy" stuff. In vain do I explain to him that he's been neutered, and that the seal isn't a cat, and that it's a BOY seal....

But mostly he just carries it around and kneads it.

:D

RedHedd
02-25-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Twink
In vain do I explain to him that he's been neutered, and that the seal isn't a cat, and that it's a BOY seal.... :D
:D Me too -- I tell Mishi he doesn't have the cajones to do THAT! :eek: :D :rolleyes: :p