PDA

View Full Version : eggs in homemade meals

guster girl
02-22-2004, 05:34 PM
Hey, I just had a question. Finn is 8 weeks old, and, I feed him four times a day. I gave him an egg yesterday and one today, but, his poo was runny today. I was thinking it was because of the egg, but, I wanted to know if they do that, or if it is unrelated. I know I keep hearing mention of an egg a day, but, he is pretty small, so, I'm thinking maybe just part of one. I also gave him a spoonful of tofu, could that have done it? I'm going to skip both for tonight and tomorrow just to see if his poo goes back to normal. Runny poo sucks for me, because it's nearly impossible to "pick up" outside, and, I'm sure it's yucky for him, too! Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Shelteez2
02-22-2004, 05:38 PM
I believe soy is bad for dogs. I can't remember what I heard about it, wolfsoul could probably tell you.

As for the eggs, I think 1 a day is too much. I give my dogs one a week or so.

Karen
02-22-2004, 05:43 PM
I;ve know people who give their Labs an egg a week for shiny coats, but that's fullgrown dogs I'd stick with just puppy food for now, it's specially formulated for what puppies need. No "supplements" required, especially in one so little - his tummy has enough to do just keeping up with his growing body right now.

guster girl
02-22-2004, 05:50 PM
Cool, I'll give him just part of an egg as a treat once in awhile until he's older. I've not heard that about soy, though, and, I've seen tofu listed in many recipes, but, I'll do a little more research on that, as well. As for feeding him puppy food, I'm all over the homemade diet, and, completely avoiding commercially processed food. But, I'll definitely stop with the whole egg! THank you so much for the replies!

tatsxxx11
02-22-2004, 05:54 PM
Ditto to much of what has already been said. 1 egg per week is plenty for an adult dog. 1 a day would be far too much for a puppy's sensitive tummy to handle. After he's an adult I think 1 egg per week would be fine. Some peope serve it up scrambled; others mix it in raw:D For now, with all of the excellent puppy foods available, I'd also say hold off:)

guster girl
02-22-2004, 05:54 PM
And, just as another comment, he was being fed Iams when I got him, and, his poo was not extremely runny, but, it was shapeless, and, as soon as I got him home and had fed him two meat and veggie meals, it firmed right up. But, anyway, just wanted to throw that in there.

guster girl
02-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
I'd also say hold off:)

Is everyone so far saying not to even feed homemade? I've heard nothing but the opposite from several vets and several others that I've talked to about starting them off on the homemade diet as soon as possible. I'm up for suggestions, though, on why it's better to feed a puppy commercial diets and yet for the most part, people are saying it's not so good to feed adults the commercial diets? I'll definitely stop with the egg and with the tofu (until I do some more research), but, what's the reasoning for not feeding meat and veggies? I'm not trying to be bratty, it's just that it's the exact opposite of everything else I've been told!

binka_nugget
02-22-2004, 05:59 PM
I'll just echo what has been said. One per day is probably too much for a pup to handle but I know of some people who give their dogs one raw egg a day. I personally say 1 or 2 a week is plenty.

binka_nugget
02-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by guster girl
Is everyone so far saying not to even feed homemade? I've heard nothing but the opposite from several vets and several others that I've talked to about starting them off on the homemade diet as soon as possible. I'm up for suggestions, though, on why it's better to feed a puppy commercial diets and yet for the most part, people are saying it's not so good to feed adults the commercial diets? I'll definitely stop with the egg and with the tofu (until I do some more research), but, what's the reasoning for not feeding meat and veggies? I'm not trying to be bratty, it's just that it's the exact opposite of everything else I've been told!

I think starting a pup off homemade would be great! So long as the owner knows what they're doing. The main reason why I'm not feeding my dogs homemade right now is because there's just too much to worry about such as the phosphorus/calcium ratio. But if you know what you're doing, keep on doing it! I think homemade diets are great.

guster girl
02-22-2004, 06:08 PM
I've not been told about the phosphorous/calcium ratio, so, I'm going to research on that topic, too. But, yeah, I mean, I've been told the whole purpose of homemade diets is to more simulate their wild cousin's diets, and, puppies of wolves and foxes, after they are weaned, don't get special puppy food, so, I've always been told to get them off of processed dog food as soon as possible. I'm still interested in the pros of feeding processed puppy food, though. I'll keep an eye on this post for any answers. :)

wolfsoul
02-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks Shelteez. :D I feel special hehe.

Soy can be hard to digest and might cause gas. It might even contribute to bloat in a deep chested dog. I don't think it's that bad for a treat once in a while, but just not all the time. :)

I agree with what people are saying about the eggs...One or two times a week is plenty. Since he's a lab, he'll probably have a nice shiny coat anyways.

guster girl
02-22-2004, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the advice about the eggs, and, like I said, I'm definitely going to make that a treat once in awhile and a once a week thing when he's bigger. I never really considered soy even for myself until recently. And, it's not that I didn't realize where milk came from, but, it wasn't until I read an article (either posted here or on guster's -my favorite band- site) clearly stating it as the mammary secretions of another species, that made me switch to soy milk. ;) But, I'm doing research right now on soy for people and for pups. :)

guster girl
02-22-2004, 07:24 PM
I'm still researching! I haven't been able to find anything yet on soy (good or bad), so, if anyone has any links I can check out, please post them. As for eggs, I'm finding a lot of sites are recommending egg shell powder for calcium. Any comments on that? One site recommended 3 teaspoons per pound of meat. Doubled for puppies. And, I keep running into sites saying fowl bones are dangerous, even though I've heard several comments here that they are fed. I'm not saying I believe one more than the other, but, I would like some feedback on feeding, for example, turkey necks or chicken backs. It does seem like they would splinter, I know personally, I have had a bad experience with chicken bones. But, I don't know, it's why I'm asking. I'm all for giving raw bones, but, I'm leaning towards beef bones from the meat shop for the dog to chew, but, as far as a puppy is concerned, would it be better to serve ground bones? I just don't see how a puppy could really EAT bones....chew, yes, but, do they really eat the bones? I think I'm taking a break from the research, it's overwhelming! :) I have a few questions for my vet when I see her next, but, I wanted some opinions from here, too!

Shelteez2
02-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Another thing about eggs is that if you feed them it is very important to feed the whole egg. Something in the white is bad and takes something from the dogs, but the yolk contains enough of whatever it is to make up for it. And if that wasn't completely vague then I don't know what is, LOL Sorry I just woke up from a nap and my head is a little fuzzy.

And I think homemade diets are great. If I ever get around to finding a good source of chicken I will switch my dogs to completely raw. As it is now they get fed kibble during the week and raw on the weekend.

The calcium/phosphorus ratio is very important. It is why you are supposed to feed raw meaty bones, not just raw meat. I *think* the raw meaty bones are supposed to be 60% bone 40% meat.
People that sometimes give a meal that consists of more meat will even it up by adding crushed eggshells to the food.

guster girl
02-22-2004, 07:37 PM
so, just as an idea, I could do meals with meat chunks or ground up meat with egg shell powder and other meals of raw meaty bones and that would be good as far as the ratio. I mean, I know I'm not going to get the ratio exact, but, from what I'm understanding, if I feed meat in the bowl with veggies, I should add egg shells, right? But, a raw meaty bone could replace that meal? I just want to make sure I am understanding. :) Thanks again for the advice. And, as far as the egg itself, I am going to skip it entirely until he's grown. :)

binka_nugget
02-22-2004, 07:39 PM
:D You sound like me when I'm at the vets! I ask tons of questions every time we go. :p

a lot of sites are recommending egg shell powder for calcium. Any comments on that?
I know lots of raw feeders who include the crushed egg shells with their dogs' meals. I did this for a bit but I know alot of people don't and nothing bad happened to their dogs so I stopped because it became tedious.

I keep running into sites saying fowl bones are dangerousWhen I fed raw, my boys had all bones for one meal and a veggie/meat/very small amount of bone/supplement mix the next meal. For the all bone meals, they were often turkey necks, duck necks, chicken necks or chicken backs. Not always, but most of the time. Our vet said that he's never experienced anything bad from raw bones. He strongly cautioned us against giving cooked poultry bones but he said damages from raw bones were rare (but I've read that they still happen).

I'm leaning towards beef bones from the meat shop for the dog to chew
If you're just looking for something for the dog to chew, beef bones are a better choice. I usually give my boys beef bones just for recreational chewing because they've never chipped a piece off so it lasts for a while and keeps them busy.

would it be better to serve ground bones?
A few raw feeders do this because they're afraid of any damages caused by the bones. The dog still recieves the nutrients it needs but alot of people don't do this because the bones keep the teeth extremely nice and white.

I just don't see how a puppy could really EAT bonesSome dogs need to be taught how to chew properly (instead of gulping it down) but alot of dogs really do eat the bones. Both of mine had no problems with chewing and eating the bones. But for a puppy, it might be a bit difficult.

guster girl
02-22-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
If you're just looking for something for the dog to chew, beef bones are a better choice. I usually give my boys beef bones just for recreational chewing because they've never chipped a piece off so it lasts for a while and keeps them busy.

A few raw feeders do this because they're afraid of any damages caused by the bones. The dog still recieves the nutrients it needs but alot of people don't do this because the bones keep the teeth extremely nice and white.

Ok, thank you so much for the response! I'm becoming more comfortable with certain things. But, honestly, I am a little nervous about the raw bones (like the turkey ones). I'm not saying I disagree with it, I'm just nervous. It's the one old thought I'm having trouble shaking. Here's my question, now. :) wouldn't the chewing of the beef bones give the same effect of nice and white teeth? And, if I supplied the puppy with ground up turkey/chicken bones, they'd be getting the nutrients from them, minus the possible danger. Because I want him to have the nutrients, the white teeth, and, the mental stimulation and physical excerise of chewing on bones. Couldn't I get all of that by giving raw beefy bones and ground turkey/chicken ones? And, yeah, I do ask tons of questions. :)

binka_nugget
02-22-2004, 07:54 PM
Hmm..I guess that would work. You'd just have to be careful with the amount of beef bones you give the dog because to have the nice white teeth, the bones need to be chewed on almost daily to have the best results but they say variety is the key to raw feeding so you'd have to make sure that the daily beef bone doesn't out weigh everything else.

guster girl
02-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Would oxtail work for chewing? I've never used it for my pets, but, I've seen it. And, I was thinking a beefy bone once a day, and, then those "rings" like when the butcher cuts the big bone into smaller rings, I can't remember what bone it is! But, that could work for chewing. Thanks again for all the replies.

Shelteez2
02-23-2004, 10:26 AM
I know some people who feed oxtail. I think it can be fatty though so you have to be careful. You don't want to feed a lot of fatty things to your dog. I always peel the skin off of the chicken backs I feed my dogs.

Here is a site with a lot of info and helpful tips. I have a few others, but I'm not at home right now, so I don't have access to my bookmarked sites.

Raw Dog Ranch (http://www.rawdogranch.com/)

guster girl
02-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the site, I will check it out as soon as i can. :) Hey, I posted more photos on "new lab puppy" in this section. let me know what you think!