PDA

View Full Version : Calling all hammie experts!

Amber
02-22-2004, 03:49 PM
I have a question for you, that I cant find on the internet. I wanna get Gracie a little playmate. Gracie is about a year old, and is definatly a female. Could I get a female dwarf hamster, and introduced them? Or isnt it possible? because I know how much dwarfs like the company with others. and suggestions on this would be great.

hopelessandconfused
02-22-2004, 04:05 PM
sometimes a small caged pet has difficulty getting along with another unless they were caged together since birth. and even then theres still a chance of them fighting. i wouldent have any hopes on them getting along at all

tikeyas_mom
02-22-2004, 09:38 PM
yes you should get another dwarf for Gracie to be housed with.. consider a long introduction with a slit cage so they can get used to eachother :). good luck..

luckies4me
02-22-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by hopelessandconfused
sometimes a small caged pet has difficulty getting along with another unless they were caged together since birth. and even then theres still a chance of them fighting. i wouldent have any hopes on them getting along at all

Do you know much about small animals? Dwarf hamsters are very social and love to have a companion. Rats too love company and do better in pairs. The only small pets that really have trouble are Syrian Hamsters, which should always be housed alone.

Amber, I would try to do an introduction with Gracie and see how it goes. Chances are, they will get along, but there is always the chance they may not, so an extra cage ahead of time would be a good idea. :) Please let us know of your decision. There are lots of dwarfs that do fine as a single pet, as long as they are given a lot of attention.

Amber
02-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks Everyone. I am wanting to get her another dwarf, she just seems like she could use the extra company.