PDA

View Full Version : Obedience training saved Kai once again.

binka_nugget
02-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Once again, obedience training saved Kai from running out into the street and most likely, getting hit since it's a very busy area.

We were just heading out when my dad opened the door to say something. The moment he opened it, Kai darted out and started running towards me. I immediately yelled "Kai! STAY!!!!" at the top of my lungs and boy oh boy, did it work wonders. He stopped dead in his tracks and waited.

:D I'm so proud of my boy. Now I have bragging rights with my 'friends' who said obedience was a waste of money.

Amber
02-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Good Boy, Kai!

RobiLee
02-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Way to go, Kai!!

I wish Katie would do that. In obedience class she did so well but at home it is a whole different story. We are still working on it though.

So proud of you Kai! Good Job!

Robin :)

guster girl
02-21-2004, 08:46 PM
That's awesome to hear a success story! My lab pup is going to his first training class on the fourth, and, I'm hoping we all do well! And, god forbid we're ever in a situation such as yours, I hope he reacts as quickly as Kai. :)

catnapper
02-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Way to go! Its great to see all that time spent work in action!

When Nicki did that last month, she stopped dead in the MIDDLE of the street:( - luckily the car saw her and stopped loooonnnnng before it got near her. Poor thing stood frozen in the middle of the street. When we got her to the sidewalk, she was trembling... she knew she was a BAD DOG. Still love her though:D

Holly's mom
02-21-2004, 09:06 PM
I'm so proud of my boy. Now I have bragging rights with my 'friends' who said obedience was a waste of money.

There is no way that obedience classes are a waste of money, as long as you have a good teacher. I have taken Holly to three different obedience classes, two were beginning and the last one was intermediate. Holly was very young at the first class (5-1/2 months) and she had about a 2 second attention span :) but I figured I would get the basics in and it would be good socialization for her. The teacher in that class said that one of the most important things you could teach your dog is to "stay", that it could save your dog's life someday. As you well know, this is very true.

I then took Holly to another beginning obedience class when she was 10 months old, then to an intermediate class when she was 1-1-/2 years old. All three classes were with three different teachers. The last class we took was excellent, the teacher asked me what I wanted my dog to get out of this class, what my dog needed work on and she made a point of working with us individually helping us.

Sorry I'm so long winded on this, but I'm just trying to stress that obedience classes are NOT a waste of money.

I am so happy that Kai listened to you and "stayed". You can be very proud of him. :) :)

primabella
02-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Way to go Kai!! :D :D :D

Mick's done this with us a few times too and I was sooo proud. :)

cali
02-21-2004, 11:17 PM
obedience classes are only a wast of money if you already know how to properly train a dog lol, classes are not for the dog they are meant only to teach the owner how to communicate with the dog. happy took an obedience coarse but we refused to do any of the stuff they tried to make us do. (make the dog lay down by steping on the leash close to the collar and slamming the dogs shoulder down :eek: ) as well as when happy barked, they told be to pick her up but the scruff shake her, and yell no in her ear(she was 12 weeks old) :eek: no thank you, we took her for the socializtion, and did the training ourselves lol after all my mom bred and trained champion obedience shelties when she was my age :p

tell kai he is a very good boy!

(attached is beaut, with his obedience awards, my mom trained him from puppyhood)

jenfer
02-21-2004, 11:18 PM
Well done, Kai!

I hope Gigi will be a good little girl one day. Must work harder in training Gigi. ;)

guster girl
02-21-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by cali
obedience classes are only a wast of money if you already know how to properly train a dog lol, classes are not for the dog they are meant only to teach the owner how to communicate with the dog. happy took an obedience coarse but we refused to do any of the stuff they tried to make us do. (make the dog lay down by steping on the leash close to the collar and slamming the dogs shoulder down :eek: ) as well as when happy barked, they told be to pick her up but the scruff shake her, and yell no in her ear(she was 12 weeks old)

I've not seen or heard about all obedience classes, obviously, but, the few people I've talked to said they had nothing but good experiences. Most of the ones I've looked into only use positive reinforcement. That sounds like a scary obedience class where they make you scream in the dog's ear. I don't know, I know the classes are for the owner, also, but, I don't think it's a waste of time for the puppy. I've just signed up for a training class with Finn, but, if they even once do anything remotely close to picking them up and shaking them, I'm out. Where did you take Happy that they told you to do that? That's disgusting. but, it's unfair to say that all obedience trainers will do that. IMHO

clara4457
02-22-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by guster girl
I've not seen or heard about all obedience classes, obviously, but, the few people I've talked to said they had nothing but good experiences. Most of the ones I've looked into only use positive reinforcement. That sounds like a scary obedience class where they make you scream in the dog's ear. I don't know, I know the classes are for the owner, also, but, I don't think it's a waste of time for the puppy.

You are absolute right. Even though the classes are more to train the humans to train the dogs, the socialization value alone is worth the class. It is also necessary (IMHO) for helping to train with distractions, learning different methods for a command that you're unable to communicate with your dog, and keeping abreast of new research and methods. I have also found that a good training class is an excellent way to observe dog behavior of different types of dogs (a real interest of mine). I am a member of APDT, but I still enjoy taking other people's classes to learn different styles and methods, as well as have other people watch what I do and give me feedback on my methods.

binka_nugget
02-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by cali
obedience classes are only a wast of money if you already know how to properly train a dog lol, classes are not for the dog they are meant only to teach the owner how to communicate with the dog.

I agree for the most part. I already knew how to train a dog but I still took Kai and Kaedyn (and will take all my future dogs) to obedience classes. I take them for the socialization and having them around distractions. I could easily add my own distractions without obedience class but I'd rather take advantage of the fact that there are 5+ dogs around my own dog with other owners giving the same command. I'm sure there are other ways to add distractions but..hey, paying a small fee to have weekly controlled distractions work for me.

K9soul
02-22-2004, 01:05 PM
I took Tasha to classes purely for socialization as she was a rather timid pup and I wanted to get her all the exposure I could while she was young. I'd definitely say it was worth it and it was fun to see her pick up things so incredibly fast. The instructor was very impressed with her. :)

I'm very glad Kai listened and is okay. That must have been a heart-stopping moment for you!