PDA

View Full Version : I want a kitten!!

gotalonglildoggie
02-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Does anybody know what months are the best to find kittens in? My husband and I have been searching everywhere and the youngest we can find are 6mths old. :confused:

PayItForward
02-21-2004, 06:47 PM
You do realise after having a very tiny kitten for a few weeks, you have a cat for 19 long years !!!

I ask because if you knew anything about cats, you would know that cats are kittens until their second birthday. i.e. A six month old kitten is a little kitten.

Is there any reason for having a very young kitten ?

PayItForward
02-21-2004, 06:58 PM
I have just read your profile, as you are expecting baby shortly and already have a dog.

I would suggest that you wait until your baby is older before you commit yourself to another pet.

guster girl
02-21-2004, 08:09 PM
How young of a kitten are you looking for? I'm just curious....I got mine when he was four months old....I was originally wanting a younger kitten as well, but, fell in love with Lock when I met him. If you are really wanting a kitten, you may want to open up a little to the older ones, just so you don't miss out on a really awesome cat. ;) And, they act like kittens for some time! Lock is almost 8 months old and is still the same....Anyway, welcome to Pet talk....

PayItForward
02-21-2004, 08:10 PM
George is somewhere between 9 and 15 years old and still has his kitten moments...bless him :D

gotalonglildoggie
02-21-2004, 08:11 PM
I would like a little kitten because I do have my puppy. He LOVES cats, but I would like to get one so they can grow up together. I have always had cats and I know 6mths is still young, but my husband and I both want a little one. Also in response to the new baby, we are both well aware of the responsiblities ahead of us taking on a baby, dog, and cat and we wouldn't trade it for the world. He has agreed to help out with anything. Right now we are at his grandparents house. My pup has a dog and a cat to play with. We are moving out very soon and I don't want him to be an only pet. He hasn't been since we got him. I know he would be much better off with a little friend. Cats are fairly low maintence that's why we'd rather get one more than a dog.

Thank you so much for responding!! I really do appreciate your advice!!! :)

PayItForward
02-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by gotalonglildoggie
Cats are fairly low maintence that's why we'd rather get one more than a dog.
This statement alone worries me. You might not have to walk a cat (well unless you live in the USA) but a cat takes up a lot of time.

But as you have made your mind up, I will not comment further. Good luck with your family.

moosmom
02-21-2004, 08:24 PM
I have to agree with PayItForward. When you adopt a kitten, you are in for a commitment of 19 years. Are you ready for that kind of commitment???

catnapper
02-21-2004, 08:48 PM
Cats are fairly low maintence that's why we'd rather get one more than a dog.

Have you ever HAD a cat that was solely your responsibility? All of the fights in my house stem from not caring for the dog, but the cats! Who should scoop? When? Why? The dog - they let her out, she does her business, she comes back in... no dealing in gross litter that needs to be cleaned and changed often. That brings me to "the Great Litter Debate" which litter? How often to change it? Do you clean the box or just add more? Ugh... there are whole pages of discussions on here about the agony of litter alone!

Never would I want to tell someone to turn away from wanting a cat unless it seemed as if they were walking into the act blindly (or at least very starry-eyed) Yes, cats are independant, but that doesn't make them low-maintence. Pouncer is 9 months now (?) and goodness knows what trouble he can cause! I love that guy with my whole heart... but I have ONLY HIM to deal with - not a puppy and a baby on top of him! I mean ths kitten can get into anything and everything! He has turned this house upside down with his anctics! He's eaten my husband's students' homework... seriously, we had to give a kid an A because he chewed the cardboard to pieces! He's tormented the fish tank. But he has given us a whole abundance of love too... and will continue for another 19 years.

A whole lot of cats end up in foster care or shelters because people wanted a kitten and when the reality of home, job, baby competes for their attention and care, the others generally win out and the cat is surrendered to a shelter. :( I don't want to come across as a know-it-all. I hope to sound as a voice of reason. Do what you will... please don't huff and say, "but she doesn't know me!" I don't, and I am sure you are well intentioned. All of us are! We really just want to show you that picking out a kitten isn't a one-day excursion - its a lifelong commitment. Please think about it.

Dan Holder
02-21-2004, 09:10 PM
As Pay It Forward says, those little kittens don't stay little long. There are tons of older kitties that won't be around much longer if they don't find a home, and you don't take a chance on what their personality will be. I see a lot of ads in the paper, bulletin boards at PetSmart and the vet's office that say "Good with children" or "Good with dogs". Good luck.

gotalonglildoggie
02-21-2004, 09:21 PM
Please dont get me wrong! I really don't want to sound like I am angry over your advice!! I truly and deeply appreciate it!! I am grateful that there are people who are generally concerned! That means a lot to me!! It does make me think and take things into consideration.

We have been thinking about this for over a year now. It's not a last minute decesion. We have discussed everything from litter to jealousy to attention. Both of us grew up with cats and are well aware of what comes with them. I know they can be a handful at times, but we are more than willing to take that on. My husband has agreed to change the catbox and we have a nice space we can put it in. We even know where we will put the cat and dog food. Seperate areas of course. What I mean by cats being low maintence is that compared to owning a dog they generally care for themselves. I feed and water them everyday and clean the box (completly) once a week. The only thing is I need to know the kitten will react good with the baby. That is another reason why we want a little one. We have a few connections with people who usually get little ones who are already litter trained and everything. That's what were looking for. One of the places will even spay (or neuter, but we want a female) it and give it all of it's shots for free!! And the kitten is free! We are hoping they get some in soon!

Again, Im sorry to ramble!! Please know I really am grateful to you all!!! Thank you so much for caring about my family and I! You are all WONDERFUL!!!

gotalonglildoggie
02-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Oh and moosmom I would not consider myself to be a "STUPID AND IRRESPONSIBLE PET OWNER"!!

I find that very rude!! My pets have always been very healthy and have lived very long and pleasant lives. I have never even had an animal get fleas!! I have owned birds, cats, mice, rats, hamsters and now a dog. They have all lived to be very old. They have all been in excellent health. I don't mind listening to advice (and I do think about it), but that kind of negativity was certainly uncalled for! Especially in this case! Thanks anyways!

Kater
02-21-2004, 09:32 PM
Oh and moosmom I would not consider myself to be a "STUPID AND IRRESPONSIBLE PET OWNER"!!

I find that very rude!! My pets have always been very healthy and have lived very long and pleasant lives. I have never even had an animal get fleas!! I have owned birds, cats, mice, rats, hamsters and now a dog. They have all lived to be very old. They have all been in excellent health. I don't mind listening to advice (and I do think about it), but that kind of negativity was certainly uncalled for! Especially in this case! Thanks anyways!
Please know that she wasn't directing that specifically at you....it is part of her signature and shows up in every post. Please don't take it personally.

rg_girlca
02-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Lori, Moomsmom phrase, I AM SO TIRED OF STUPID IRRESPONSIBLE PET OWNERS, is NOT meant towards you at all.
That is a PHRASE that she has had like forever, under her signature as she works with rescued animals and has seen a lot of ignorant people.

halliecat
02-21-2004, 11:51 PM
Moosmoms signature should not upset you. She has great suggestions and is very caring. Some people-like the neighbors-should really listen! (They have an outdoor cat that has no shots and is not neutered!!!:confused:confused: :( :mad: )I am sure you would be a great owner. sounds like you are a thoughtful and caring individual that would make sure your cat gets all the kitten shots and gets neutered.

Good luck in your search.

Twink
02-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
This statement alone worries me. You might not have to walk a cat (well unless you live in the USA) but a cat takes up a lot of time.

I dunno...I think I understand this "low maintenance" statement. When we first got Rizzo, we spent over a thousand dollars on cat supplies, checkups, neutering, microchipping, medicine, etc. We can't leave town for more than a day without making arrangements for his care. We spent a whole day cat-proofing our place, and we still have to be SUPER careful not to leave out shoes or anything with strings on them. We lose sleep every night when he decides to get vocal, and he wakes us up every morning. We can't eat off of paper plates without him thinking he's going to get a Fancy Feast treat, and therefore tripping us, crying at us, clawing at the cabinets and just generally being un-ignorable. The litter box is a non-neglectable chore, and there's a lot of extra sweeping involved. We've spent a LOT of time scrubbing the carpet and giving him partial baths after he drags his tail in the litter box. He needs a good grooming at least once a week and a claw-trim once every two weeks. He doesn't like to entertain himself and demands to be played with...constantly! But I still consider him "low maintenance" compared with a dog, for the simple reason that we don't have to walk him every 6 hours!

I just re-read that paragraph and realized it sounds like I'm complaining. I'm not! I'd do anything for my Rizz. I just wanted to point out that just because someone considers a pet comparitively low maintenance doesn't mean that they're not prepared to do anything and everything necessary to care for him.

:D

catmandu
02-22-2004, 01:15 PM
The kitten , at six months is a more mature pet , than a three month old Kitten , and sadly is growing out of the Cute Kitten stage of her life.So please think of adopting her , or even a Cat , that is a yeatr or two , as you know that thier personalities are settled , and they always have a lot of kitten , in them!

guster girl
02-22-2004, 01:47 PM
I can see both sides of this. I totally understand why someone would want a really young kitten. We got Lock when he was four months old, and, I wished he was a little younger even then. I wouldn't trade him for the world, but, I was interested in a little younger. and, as for cats being lower maintenance, I can see that, too. They're not easy, by any means, but, I do think they are less work, generally, than dogs. Especially kittens versus puppies. We brought Lock home in November at four months, and, we brought Finn home on the fifteenth of this month, at 8 weeks, and, he is WAY more work than any cat I've ever had. I adopted a pregnant stray cat years ago that had six kittens, and, they were not that much of a hassle. The litter box makes a huge difference, as far as maintenance. I, personally, clean litter boxes out daily (sometimes more), just because I'm really ridiculously anal about that kind of thing. :) But, just the potty training of a dog and the forever commitment of getting a dog outdoors to potty is what makes a dog higher maintenance, IMO. The last dog I actually owned (RIP little Bruno) was given to me when he was already over a year old, so, the puppy stage is something I haven't gone through in awhile. But, it's all worth it. :) Anyway, just my two cents.

gotalonglildoggie
02-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Oh Im sorry! I did not realize that it was just her signiture!! I thought she aimed it at me! I apoligize!! I did not mean to offend! I am new to this site. Please know I did not mean for it to offend anyone, I just thought she was calling me one! Sorry! :eek:

guster girl
02-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Hey, I think it probably happens a lot more than people realize, just because I know the first time I saw it, I was thinking "goodness, that's pretty rude." But, I just didn't say anything because I was just reading, not posting. And, then, I realized it was part of the signature. It's cool that you're apologizing, a lot of people don't say they're sorry anymore. Welcome to Pet Talk, by the way. Are you staying awhile or just getting info about kitties?

halliecat
02-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Thought that may be what happened...please let us know how your search is going. Not sure if this helps....I got Hallie in June when she was 8 weeks old. I hope that wasn't too young to take her away from her furmom but she has been an easy kitty. She was never afraid and wanted to be with people...:)

gotalonglildoggie
02-22-2004, 06:28 PM
I plan to stick around for a while!! I am a big time animal lover! I just love to brag up my puppy and talk about those furry little bundles that just make our lives so much better! Ummm... So far nobody has kittens that are younger than 6mths. I know that is still really young, but my hubby and I both want a smaller one. We both have experience with kittens. Keith (my hubby) had a cat that had 4 kittens and 2 wolves at one time. He loved it.

Oh and dogs really are muuuuuuuuuch harder to care for than cats! I grew up having cats. This is my 1st dog. It was so hard to potty train him and to get him to listen. He does very very well now! He's a very good boy!! (and sooooooooo cute!!)

Oh and I would never mean to hurt or offend anyone. It just came across as rude that she would say that to me, but I didn't realize it was her signature! An apology was definatly in order!! I hope I didn't make her angry!! :eek: :p :cool:

Sirrahsim
02-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Hi and welcome to pet talk!! I want to apologize for some of the comments that fellow PTers have made. All of the people here have a deep love for their animals and sometimes tactfulness is hard to find if the person feels strongly enough about a subject. The majority of us are really quite loveable :) Good luck in your search for a baby kitten. I have never had the opportuinity to have such a young kitten in my life, but I know that there must be a special bond between a kitten and it's owner when they meet very early in life. There is nothing wrong with wanting a young kitten rather than adopting. The sad truth is that there are some people who only want a kitten during the tiny stage and then choose to "get rid" of it. I'm sorry that you were questioned right off, I think it should just show you how much the lives of cats mean to everyone here:) I hope that this experience hasn't put a bad taste in your mouth for Pet Talk!! Good luck!!
Oh yes, we all expect to be showered with pictures just as soon as you DO find your kitten!!

NoahsMommy
02-22-2004, 07:23 PM
I think it depends on where you live, but kitten season around here is every month other than December.

I think maybe you should wait until the right cat or kitten comes along if you don't want what's currently available.

While it is fun having an itty bitty kitten, I personally couldn't deal with all it takes to properly train a kitten (read: early prevention of declawing, etc.) AND have a baby and a new house....oh, and a dog. While cats in the long run are less time consuming due to their independant nature, while kittens, they take a lot of time.

Whatever you decide, good luck. :)

gotalonglildoggie
02-22-2004, 08:27 PM
I am really enjoying this site! I have never had so many responses to one of my threads on any other forum. I get so excited when I get an email saying I got another response!!! So much fun!!! This is the only site I have found where I can talk about something I really enjoy!! You have all been wonderful so far!!!

I just find a lot that most cats are freaked out by my dog because they are bigger than he is. Usually when they say that a certain cat is good with dogs, they usually mean dogs that are bigger than them. He is REALLY good with dogs, but he is even better with cats! He gets so sad when the cats don't like him. He runs and hides behind me. A little kitten will be able to adapt to him much better because by the time they get bigger they know him. Plus we both looooooove the responibilities because of the joy and love pets can offer!!! I will definatly post pics when we find what we are looking for. Oh and yes, we are going to wait to find just the right one! :D We both already know about everything we would like in our newest family member!!! So excited!!! :D

gotalonglildoggie
02-22-2004, 08:30 PM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWW........ I just love looking at all of the kitty pics you all have posted!!! I can't get my computer to add any of the pics I want to use! I couldn't even get it to put a pic of a doxie under my name. Hmmm.. Maybe somebody could give me some advice on this!! I'd really appreciate it!! Email me if you'd like!! :p

leslie flenner
02-22-2004, 08:45 PM
If your looking for a cat/kitten to get along with your dog- your best bet is to go to your local animal shelter where they will know who gets along with (and some cats actually love to be with) dogs! For a kitten younger than 6 months, don't hold your breath. Even breeders (don't go that route for other reasons!) won't let you adopt till 3 months - depending on how good they are- no kitten should leave mom in an ideal situation, until they've had one distemper vaccine and if possible, the 2nd. No kitten can have it's 1st vaccine until age 8 weeks and if there are any cold symptoms, not until these are over. People who foster kittens for shelters will often not relenquish (and are not allowed to ) abandoned kittens until after the 2nd distemper (which covers a slew of viruses) because, if they have been without mom's milk and through her milk, virus protection, they are at high risk for death from the simplest virus and pneumonia.
Then new owners come back upset and lawsuits etc. So shelters are very careful. Sometimes TOO careful but just to let you know.
Even if you found a younger than 6 month old kitten- there's no guarantee he/she would get along with the dog- all animals have their own personality as you know- just be aware and ready for whatever! And Playitforward had good advice!

Felicia's Mom
02-22-2004, 08:46 PM
I want to welcome you to Pet Talk. My two cats are Felicia and Beau, seen in my signature. I hope you find a kitten.:) :)

Vermontcat
02-22-2004, 08:54 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk gotalonglildoggie(and you got a long user name too!):)
I hope you stick around here and get to know everyone.
You should check out the Cat Rescue section where people post when they work at shelters or foster kittens.
You should also check out the Dog General section to meet the other Dachshund owners too.

Here is a link to Petfinder that may help you find a kitten at a shelter in your area.
www.petfinder.com

What area of the USA are you in?
Where I live there tend to be more kittens available at the shelters in the summer months.
When do you plan to move?
It may be better to wait until after you move and maybe even after you have the baby before you get a kitten.
Both moving and adding a baby to the house can stress out a cat.
Good luck in finding your kitten!:)

gotalonglildoggie
02-22-2004, 09:40 PM
Well we don't plan to get one until we are all settled in. That will be in a month or less. I am in Ohio. It seems we have no kittens right now. We have a ton of places around us that will get them in and give them away for free. I think I mentioned earlier that the one will even spay/neuter them, and give them all their shots for free also. We are really waiting to see if they get any in. We will also bring the dog with us when we do find one we want to make sure they get along very well. He is very gentle, but it's usually the cats who are spooked. I dont think they know what to make of such a little dog! It's really quite funny!

Oh yes I have checked out the dog section already! It is quite fun! I have gotton a ton more responses here in the cat section though. I couldn't think of any doggie questions to post! Im sure I will think of something soon!! I responded to a few theads over there I think!

Oh Ha! Im glad you noticed my username!! I always think it's creative!!! Sometimes it takes people a while to get it though! LOL!!!!

rg_girlca
02-22-2004, 10:04 PM
A warm hearty welcome to Pet talk Lori. I'm glad you like it here and I hope you find the perfect kitten to get along with your dog.

My Buddy is also a cat lover. Whenever we walk him, he thinks the stray cats that are around here are his friends. He has found out that some of them aren't. But we do have one that we call Smokey, that walks with us, so Buddy is happy about that.

Again, good luck on your find for a kitten and also, congratulations on your pregnancy.:)

PayItForward
02-23-2004, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Sirrahsim
I want to apologize for some of the comments that fellow PTers have made. All of the people here have a deep love for their animals and sometimes tactfulness is hard to find if the person feels strongly enough about a subject.

Please limit YOUR apologises to YOUR actions not others. I find my comments direct and to the point and I do not need to apology for pointing out basic facts, which any cat lover would know.

The sad truth is that there are some people who only want a kitten during the tiny stage and then choose to "get rid" of it. I'm sorry that you were questioned right off.....

Yes, we should question those who reject a 24 week old baby cat because they want an 12 week old baby cat.

And in 12 weeks what will they have ....GASP....a 24 week old baby cat, just what they didn't want !!!

Doesn't this sound familar !!!!!

moosmom
02-23-2004, 08:40 AM
gotalonglildoggie,

I have ALWAYS had that saying in my signature. It's a part of who I am and what I believe. At first I was quite annoyed that you took it as a personal "bashing". I knew eventually, if you didn't figure it out for yourself, that my friends here would set you straight. Thanks guys!

I have 8 years experience in animal rescue, including working to socialize and place feral cats and kittens. I try to help people by educating them about their cats, without pointing an accusing finger at anyone.

I hope you are successful in finding a kitten. Believe me, they are ALWAYS around! It seems lately that kitten season is non-stop.

Please limit YOUR apologises to YOUR actions not others. I find my comments direct and to the point and I do not need to apology for pointing out basic facts, which any cat lover would know.

That's why I like you so much! You ARE direct and to the point! ;)

gotalonglildoggie
02-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Well I am new to this forum and I didn't realize that was merely a part of your signiture. I didn't see the line that seperates the signature from the rest of the message. That's a whole different story there!! I would never have said anything if I had known. I know there are a ton of stupid and irresponsible pet owners out there!! Sorry for getting upset with you!!!! I hope we are still able to get along great! We need more people like you who are willing to go through all that work to make animals lives better!

I know that kittens grow up fast, buuuuuuuut... a 12wk. old kitty has 12wks. more to adjust to a new life than a 24wk. old kitty. Not that I've completely ruled out the possibility of getting a slightly older kitten, my preference is just a smaller one. Around here it doesn't seem anybody has any yet. I didn't know if it was just because of the winter season. Do they have more in the spring or summer?? :( :confused:

guster girl
02-23-2004, 10:57 AM
I said this to someone in dog general, too, because he's looking to get a specific type of puppy, and, even has his preferences down to the eye color. He was saying that he was being too picky. But, ya know what? I think you have the right to be as selective as you want. Yeah, an older kitty might be easier in some ways, but, there are cons to it as well. Younger kittens need more work, for sure, but I agree with you as far as it just gives them those few weeks longer to adjust to a new life. You seem to know what you want, and, have put some thought into it. I think I'd be more concerned if you were just looking for a kitten, and, then just picked the first one you saw. I still stand by the whole concept of DO NOT pass up on a kitten if you connect with it. I mean, if they tell you it's horrible with dogs or kids or something, that's different. But, if you find one, even an older cat, that's good with kids and other pets, and, you fall in love with it, don't pass it up because it doesn't fit one of your requirements. And, it didn't seem like you were ever at any point saying that you never wanted to have a 6 month old kitten, just that you'd prefer to start with a younger one. Yeah, you're young, expecting, and, already have a dog. That's a lot of work, but, if you're willing to do it, then, great. There are people I know and on this site that have multiple pets, and, it just makes their lives better, albeit more hectic sometimes. :) People thought my boyfriend and I were nuts because he has a snake, I have a rat and hamster, and, together we have a kitten and a puppy. So, maybe we are a little bananas. But, I would not have even one pet if I didn't think I could give them a good life. All of our pets are well taken care of, and, I sincerely hope that you are able to give your pet(s) and family the best care and love available. I'm glad you are sticking around, and, not backing down, and, still doing it in a nice, tactful, way. Good on you, gotalonglittledoggie. LOve the name, it reminds of the phrase "get along little dawgies..." :)

PayItForward
02-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
That's why I like you so much! You ARE direct and to the point! ;)
*Blush* Thankyou :D

joker98
02-23-2004, 11:57 AM
I have read gotalonglildoggie posts and I think that some ppl did jump to some conclusions rather quickly. All she did was state that she wanted a very young kitten. There is nothing wrong with that. She also has other animals and a baby. As long as she takes the proper precautions and whatnot there is no reason that all of her loved ones can't live together underneath the same roof. And there was nothing in her post that showed any sort of ignorance when it comes to the care of cats. Cats are less maintenance than dogs are... and from my experience the younger you get an animal the better you can bond with them, be it dog or cat.

I myself adopted a 16 month old calico. And while I love her to death she was mistreated and is still very skittish, especially around men. She loves women but it takes a long time for her to warm up to the opposite sex. I just recently got an 8 week old kitten who, as many of you know, had some serious health problems. Before I got my first cat people told me I couldn't work full time and take care of a kitten (I live by myself). You know what I say to that? HOGWASH! I don't believe that there is anyone out there that could take better care of Dusty or show him more love than myself.

If you want to try and educate ppl about the care of cats and kittens that is one thing. But do it without the negativity. I came to this forum because of my love for animals and wanting to share my joy of my pets with others who feel the same way. My lack of experience in no way affects my ability to care for an animal or my willingness to learn and do what is neccessary and right. I think the fact that gotalonglildoggie came here to talk and ask opinions and advice says a lot right from the start.

gotalonglildoggie if you want a kitten, go for it. Just make sure that you realize the level of work involved. And when you have a question, and I'm sure you will, just ask and the wealth of knowledge in the PT'rs will come rushing to your aid. Oh, and by the way... welcome aboard. :)

sirrahved
02-23-2004, 12:02 PM
Hey gotalong...

I'm going to ignore everything else everyone has said because they make me grumpy...

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION!!!!! (I think that's what you were looking for, right?)

I heard on the news just today that early spring is a kind of breeding season for cats, so in another month or two there should be a massive influx of new kitties.

Good luck with your new kitty and new baby!

Twink
02-23-2004, 12:47 PM
Sorry to go wildly off of the thread topic, but sirrahved, I have just go to tell you that your pet names crack me up! You'd better hope that they don't learn to speak English, or they are going to get very, very nervous. Especially Sushi!

:p

gotalonglildoggie
02-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Thanks Everyone!!

So spring is the best time to start looking!! Okay! We did find one cat that we looooooove! She is about 1yr old, good with dogs and kids, but not other cats. That is the only reason we haven't decided on her because with both me and hubby being big time cat lovers, we will probably want another one somewhere down the road. (just one for right now though!) Plus most dogs are waaaaaay bigger than mine so cats seem to have different reactions to him. Even some cats that hate dogs seem to be okay with him and other cats that like dogs seem to get freaked out by him. Which is funny to see either way since he's so gentle and loving towards them. He just runs and hides when they get cranky with him. LOL!! Anyways! Thank you everyone! I appreciate you all!! :)

moosmom
02-23-2004, 08:05 PM
gotalonglildoggie

Believe me, there was no offense taken. I talked to my friend in CT who is involved in rescue. Her group holds low cost spay/neuter clinics twice a month. A friend of hers had been trying to trap this female forever!! She finally did, the cat was pregnant and ready to pop anytime! This female had multiple litters up until she was caught. She's now spayed and will no longer produce anymore litters.

So, it seems that "kitten season" hasn't taken a break at all! Sad but true!

Joker98,

If you want to try and educate ppl about the care of cats and kittens that is one thing. But do it without the negativity.

Please elaborate.

PayItForward
02-24-2004, 02:24 AM
Please elaborate. ...Said the spider to the fly !!!!

moosmom
02-24-2004, 06:26 AM
...Said the spider to the fly !!!!

:D :D :D :D

joker98
02-24-2004, 07:15 AM
*sigh* I am so tired of forum arguments. Maybe negativity was the wrong word but that was what I felt when I read the posts. Maybe the word I should have used was without such a condescending attitude? I might be splitting hairs or making mountains out of molehills but this is what I felt when I read these posts.

You do realise after having a very tiny kitten for a few weeks, you have a cat for 19 long years !!!

I ask because if you knew anything about cats, you would know that cats are kittens until their second birthday. i.e. A six month old kitten is a little kitten.

Is there any reason for having a very young kitten ?
If you knew anything about cats??? Please...

I have just read your profile, as you are expecting baby shortly and already have a dog.

I would suggest that you wait until your baby is older before you commit yourself to another pet.
Why are you automatically assuming that she has not though of the responsibilities that come with a baby and owning a pet? That she is not prepared or educated to deal with the situations and difficulties that might arise? And why not present some of those challenges that she might face that lead you to suggest that she wait until the baby is older? And how old should the baby be? I know many groups that will not adopt kittens to families with children under six. There are reasons behind this. Why not present some of these reasons to support your suggestion?

But as you have made your mind up, I will not comment further. Good luck with your family.
That was made in response to the "Cats are fairly low maintence that's why we'd rather get one more than a dog." And it is true, when compared to dogs, cats are IMHO, lower maintanence than a dog. Why does this statement worry you? I got my first cat because I live in a townhouse and I did not have the room for a dog to run nor the time to walk it. And I am so glad because I realize how wonderful cats are.

Originally posted by moosmom
I have to agree with PayItForward. When you adopt a kitten, you are in for a commitment of 19 years. Are you ready for that kind of commitment???

Once again automatically assuming that she has no idea cats.

If we look at guster girl's and catnapper's post they address the same issues but they put in their personal experiences as an example as to why one might reconsider or at least examine their reasons for adopting a kitten, especially one so old.

Yes, we should question those who reject a 24 week old baby cat because they want an 12 week old baby cat.

And in 12 weeks what will they have ....GASP....a 24 week old baby cat, just what they didn't want !!!

Doesn't this sound familar !!!!! [/B]
Is there something wrong with wanting to adopt a younger cat? Yes, the difference between 12 weeks and 24 weeks is minimal but there is nothing wrong with wanting a kitten that young. The younger they are, the more dependent they are on you. And maybe that is what she is looking for?

I know I am opening myself up to a lot of flak but I believe there is a way to educate and question without the holier than thou attitude

gotalonglildoggie
02-24-2004, 07:31 AM
LOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!! I posted that thread on my first day on here and already caused a commotion!! Wow!!

I appreciate everyone's advice!! I am starting to regret posting it though because I didn't mean to stir up trouble!! I want everyone to get along!!! We all are here because of our love for our pets and animals so lets just be friends!!!! :rolleyes: :p :eek: :confused: :(

catnapper
02-24-2004, 08:15 AM
LOLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!! I posted that thread on my first day on here and already caused a commotion!! Wow!!

I appreciate everyone's advice!! I am starting to regret posting it though because I didn't mean to stir up trouble!! I want everyone to get along!!! We all are here because of our love for our pets and animals so lets just be friends!!!! :rolleyes: :p :eek: :confused: :(

I try to get along!:D We are all very in love with our cats and don't want to see a potential problem. Thats all... hopefully I'm not speaking for too many people here!;) I know that when I read your post I was concerned because - no matter WHAT you say - having an active puppy, baby AND kitten in a new home is going to be way way overwhelming. Life has taught me (and many others) these experiences.

Perhaps its your exhuberance and optimism of it all that makes it seem exciting and wonderful and that you'll be able to handle it. But PLEASE listen to a voice of reason here: new house, baby, puppy, kitten.... if you look up stress tests online - these are all top stressors! When I married and "inherited" 3 wonderful step-kids and moved an hour away, I purposely did not leave my job for a year because I knew that new marriage, new house AND new job would have killed me! All of these things were positive! All of these things were things I'd dreamt of having and couldn't wait! Even positive changes cause stress.

I think you are a wonderful person who has, in your few posts, displayed sensitivity, friendship, optimism, joy... everything that a wonderful human being should be! Being, human, I also know that we have limits and adding a kitten to the lists of all these new experiences for you might topple the foundation you have. You don't seem to be the type of person who would get a kitten and then give it away... I know that you'd love this cat with all of your heart and no sooner part with it than your child. I can tell this from what you've written inresponse to this and other posts. I just don't want to see your happiness and optimism hurt by taking on too much at one time.

gotalonglildoggie
02-24-2004, 08:48 AM
That was very sweet of you to say all of that! I do realize how hard it will be, but I would love to give all I have to taking care of my 'family' no matter how hard it gets. I don't work, I am home all day and I have plenty of time and love to give. Having grown up with cats, I almost feel like I have a void in my life. I am thrilled with my pup and baby and hubby, but that void needs to be satisfied. I am MORE than willing to do everything I need to to make sure every one has a good and happy life. We don't plan on getting our kitty until after we move and are settled in. Possibly even a few months after the baby is born. That should give us enough time to develop a routine. Then when we do decide to throw a kitty into the mix we want to make sure it is young enough to adapt to this. Kittens are more likely to adapt to a new life than a slightly older cat who is already kind of set in it's ways.

But anyways, You are all great people!! Please don't think I came here to stir up trouble!! I appreciate you all!!!!!!!! :D

PayItForward
02-24-2004, 01:58 PM
ROTFLMAO.......At least people are reading my posts, even if they do not understand them. :D :D :D

I find this so funny, I don't argue, I state facts and I ask questions, when people ask advice I say what I think.

How can someone so direct, be misunderstood... LOL :D :D :D

LOL. If I was spilting hairs, arguing, assumming bad things, holier than thou attitude (Does this one mean I get wings ;) ) I *think* I might have noticed. Well to be honest I would state it very loudly. :D

PS. Hands up if you don't understand me, email joker98 s(he) will translate the *real* meaning later

So as my posts are so very difficult to understand, I appoint joker98 as my personal 'attitude monitor'.

joker98,

Just post after I have and using quotes from my posts, write the *real* meaning behind my words, as I am so incapable

How did I cope for the last year without you, my new best buddy.

You had better look at my last 2500 posts and rewrite those too.

Originally posted by joker98
*sigh* I am so tired of forum arguments. Maybe negativity was the wrong word but that was what I felt when I read the posts. Maybe the word I should have used was without such a condescending attitude? I might be splitting hairs or making mountains out of molehills but this is what I felt when I read these posts.

If you knew anything about cats??? Please...

Why are you automatically assuming that she has not though of the responsibilities that come with a baby and owning a pet? That she is not prepared or educated to deal with the situations and difficulties that might arise? And why not present some of those challenges that she might face that lead you to suggest that she wait until the baby is older? And how old should the baby be? I know many groups that will not adopt kittens to families with children under six. There are reasons behind this. Why not present some of these reasons to support your suggestion?

That was made in response to the "Cats are fairly low maintence that's why we'd rather get one more than a dog." And it is true, when compared to dogs, cats are IMHO, lower maintanence than a dog. Why does this statement worry you? I got my first cat because I live in a townhouse and I did not have the room for a dog to run nor the time to walk it. And I am so glad because I realize how wonderful cats are.

Once again automatically assuming that she has no idea cats.

If we look at guster girl's and catnapper's post they address the same issues but they put in their personal experiences as an example as to why one might reconsider or at least examine their reasons for adopting a kitten, especially one so old.

Is there something wrong with wanting to adopt a younger cat? Yes, the difference between 12 weeks and 24 weeks is minimal but there is nothing wrong with wanting a kitten that young. The younger they are, the more dependent they are on you. And maybe that is what she is looking for?

I know I am opening myself up to a lot of flak but I believe there is a way to educate and question without the holier than thou attitude

PayItForward
02-24-2004, 02:12 PM
But anyways, You are all great people!! Please don't think I came here to stir up trouble!! I appreciate you all!!!!!!!! :D
You have not made any trouble, don't think for one minute you did. :)

I wanted to make sure you understood the work and committment level you are taking on and you do and that is great.

I reserve judgement when people first post as you don't know if they are real cat lovers or not but I believe you are and I hope you stick around and post plenty.

I am still confused why a 24 week old kitten is too old but that is just my opinion.

The important thing is that you have thought about this seriously and I do believe that you will love this baby, puppy, kitten and hubby (notice he came last) for life !!! :D

catnapper
02-24-2004, 02:29 PM
So as my posts are so very difficult to understand, I appoint joker98 as my personal 'attitude monitor'.

You are too funny! I was thinking the same thing too. I notice he/she stated how they hate forum arguments, yet they seem to be the one who started it. Gosh, I felt so bad later about what I said. I honestly tried to be nice and ascertain that gotalonglildoggie understood the magnitude of adopting a new pet with all of her other new experiences. It seems she does, which makes me feel good. I'm glad she has decided to join PT and I hope she continues to stcik around after all of this hubbub!:D

PayItForward
02-24-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
You are too funny! I was thinking the same thing too. I notice he/she stated how they hate forum arguments, yet they seem to be the one who started it.
LOL, great minds think alike.

I just think some people are determined to read bad attititude into posts where it doesn't exist.

I honestly tried to be nice and ascertain that gotalonglildoggie understood the magnitude of adopting a new pet with all of her other new experiences. It seems she does, which makes me feel good. I'm glad she has decided to join PT and I hope she continues to stick around after all of this hubbub!:D
Here Here. That is what me & Donna were doing too, making sure she understood the committment level needed. :D

PS. Catnapper, I think you are the nicest poster on Pet Talk and very friendly with it :D

Sirrahsim
02-24-2004, 02:44 PM
i just made a post, but it has been deleted because it's becoming increasingly clear to me that there is too much pride in here for the efforts at cooling things down to be effective. A new poster should not be greeted with rude and condescending remarks. It makes me sick that she was. End of story.

gotalonglildoggie
02-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Ha Ha ! Im starting to feel really popular on here or something! Sometimes the posts make me laugh so hard because it seems everyone is just all confused!!! Please everyone (especially you PayitFoward and Jokerman) GET ALONG!! Just forget about any angry feelings!!

PS. It's funny that somebody actually noticed how hubby came last! LOL!! :D I didn't know if anyone would! :D

PayItForward
02-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Sirrahsim,

Please add me to your ignore list and you will never have to read any of my English advice again, you are now on mine and that is the whole point of the button. :D

joker98, If you need a deputy try Sirrahsim she also can read my mind.

Originally posted by Sirrahsim
PayitForward, I just wanted to point something out. I do not mean any harm towards you, your character, so don't jump on me. The truth is that tactfulness is defined differently depending on what part of the world you live in. What you consider to be helpful, to the point statements will be recieved by a lot of people over here as condescending and rude. You make excellent points, however- not to sound racists or anything, but they are made in a very "English" way. This is not a rude message, I am not bashing you, I am kindly pointing out that your comments seem a little harsh to most non-english ears. If someone percieves your comments as harsh (which a lot of people did) they will immediately go on the offensive and even if you do make good points it won't matter because everyone feels like they are being stepped on. So please, can you temper your comments in such a way that they will not be perceived as so rude and condescending? I'm trying to put this pleasantly, I don't know how I should write this so that you will understand where we are all coming from. I am trying to diffuse the tension that was created by some very harsh sounding posts, so don't jump on me, don't make little jokes. I think that the joke you made about joker98 was very rude and spiteful. he/she was just trying to help put things into a more helpful medium.

Sirrahsim
02-24-2004, 02:52 PM
that's why that post was deleted. I knew that it would fall on deaf ears(eyes)?

joker98
02-24-2004, 03:11 PM
PayItForward,
I'm very glad that you find my post so funny. Although, I did not mean it as a personal attack, by your getting so defensive, you obviously took it so. Your posts were not the only ones I quoted. I was asked to elaborate, so I did. Like I said negative was the wrong adjetive to use. Condescending, on the other hand, most definitely fits the bill. Look how you lash out at me because of the way I interpreted your post. I did not start any forum argument. All I did was comment on how gotalonglittledoggies original post was responded to. And it was a very condescening attitude which greeted her. I never challenged the meaning of your post or the thinking behind them. I challenged the way the thoughts and ideas were being presented. Can you understand the difference? They could have been done in a better more accepting manner, instead of from the high pedestal from which you view yourself. As you can tell, I was not here for your other 2500 post. I can only comment on the current ones. I have not felt the need to comment on any of the other post that you have made. You have provided me with good advice in the past, which I appreciate. It was just this instance that I felt something needed to be said. There was no opinion/advice asked for in the original post. The question was, what months are the best for finding young kittens? I said I was opening myself up for a lot of flak and I expected such a response. I am not trying to fan any fires but as a newcomer, it is very disheartening to see how unaccepting some people can be of a different point of view. You do not need me to be your personal attitude monitor. Your post says it all for you.

-James

Desert Arabian
02-24-2004, 03:50 PM
Back to the subject of kittens:

gotalonglildoggie,

I have a 10 month old orange kitten named Sammy. We got him when he was only 4 weeks old, and we had to bottle feed him and wean him from the bottle. He is a terrorist, that is why my mom and I have dubbed him Osama Bin Sama. Right now he is just terrible- chewing everything in site, destroying as many things as possible, terrorizing our other cat Dudley, crawling on the screens (when the windows are open), etc. Even though he is such a little "stinker", I adore him, there is no way I could be mad at him.

BUT if he was the first cat I have ever owned, there is no way on Earth I could deal with his behavior. Since my family has owned previous adult cats, I know what it takes, I guess you could say, so I am prepared to deal with his attitude problem. He is a kitten, so of course he is going to act like this. Right now we are trying everything to deter him from doing his various "duties", but he doesn't respond to it. The vet said we just have to wait until he gets older and learns his manners.

What I am trying to say is, owning a kitten is hard; it's just like owning a puppy. Basically the only thing different is you don’t have to potty train kittens. If you are a first time cat owner it may be best to start off with a somewhat older (mature) cat that has settled down, learned its manners, and won't present a lot of challenges for you.

(Keep in mind I am talking from my perspective of owning a kitten like Sammy, I am sure there are other PT'er on Pet Talk who raised mellow kittens- not all kittens are terrors of course. I don't mean to generalize all kittens in this post.)

Best of luck to you in your search for a feline partner!

-Laura

Sammy:

May 2003:
http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/tinysam.JPG
February 2004:
http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/meatloaf3.JPG

sirrahbed
02-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Twink
Sorry to go wildly off of the thread topic, but sirrahved, I have just go to tell you that your pet names crack me up! You'd better hope that they don't learn to speak English, or they are going to get very, very nervous. Especially Sushi!

:p

:D hey Devon -want to explain why Sushi is named thus? :D I will!! He is named for his predecessor - who literally *became* sushi for Pickles :eek: :eek:
(this is my daughter-in-love and yes, the names crack ME up too!)

PaysForIt
02-24-2004, 04:51 PM
*sigh*

http://www.piftails.com/images/box0a.jpg

Don't make me sic Bramble on you!

prettykitty1
02-24-2004, 05:33 PM
how do you get pictures i am kinda new
:confused:

prettykitty1
02-24-2004, 05:33 PM
can any one help

PaysForIt
02-24-2004, 06:06 PM
Take a look here http://petoftheday.com/talk/misc.php?s=&action=bbcode

That's assuming you have some webspace to upload the image to in the first place. Imagestation or a similar site can host your images for free.

gotalonglildoggie
02-25-2004, 12:26 AM
Ha Ha! Osama Bin Sama!!! That is the funniest name I ever heard!! I love it!!

Well we don't plan to get a kitten that young! We at least want it to be able to eat from a dish and be litter trained already. Most kittens around here already are though. We also plan to get one from an organization, pet store, apl, humane society, or a vet. clinic. Not just any kitten will do!

I have had other cats in the past. My family has had them ever since I was born. We have had our share of kittens also. My husband also has had cats and even raised a litter of kittens while he had two wolves. When the kittys were old enough he gave them to good homes and he had to sell the wolves because he had to move, but he made sure they got a good home too!!

I really appreciate you sharing your story with me!! I thought it was really funny! Some of these posts are just hysterical if you read them!!

catcrazylady
02-25-2004, 06:07 AM
HI!! Well getalonglildoggie I have to say you have gotten started off with a bang!! I really admire you attitude and you certainly have a good sense of humor!!!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif
I have no comments about your original question because I can't imagine there is anything left to say!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif
I just want to welcome you and say HI! Just remember that whatever you decide to do that we want PICTURES!!!! I'm glad your sticking around because I think you will be a wonderful addition to PT.

gotalonglildoggie
02-25-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks! I plan to stick around for a while! Just hope I don't cause to much commotion!! LOL!!! :cool:

carole
02-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Hi there and a very warm welcome to PT, I have not had time to read all the replies, but hope you don't mind some more advice.

You sound a mature and responsible person, and I can see no reason why you should not adopt a young kitten, if that is what you desire, let's face it there are many homeless kittens and cats all needing loving homes.

However I think I would wait until after baby is born, I assume this is your first child, correct me if I am wrong please, and believe me those cute lil tikes can be very time consuming, as can a little young kitten, both requiring undivided attention, it could just put some added stress in your life, until one has a baby, you just don't alway's realise how much there is to do, still if you have your heart set on a kitten, and you really think you can give both the baby and the kitten the attention they need, then go ahead, and I wish you well in your choice. GOOD LUCK.:)

P.S just wanted to say, you have not stirred anything up at all, there is nothing wrong with a good debate, and that is how I see it(well most of the time) people pointing out the whys? and where fors?, PT people are most passionate about their beliefs and when it comes to their pets, and you will find if you stay here, this is the norm, sometimes things get out of hand, but mostly it turns out to be a positive experience posting a thread and receiving replys, you are most welcome here, and we really look forward to hearing more about you and your family and furbabies, so don't be put off, this is just PT, full of love, compassion, caring, fiesty debates at times, opinions, the odd argument,but just good old fashioned friendship worldwide.:)

I think you have handled each and every comment just beautifully,with respect, sensibly,and with maturity, honesty, and open-mindness,I applaud you for that,great attitude!!!!! good on you!!!:)

Lixx
02-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Hi & Welcome!!! You sound like you're quite prepared for your new kitten. My only concern is the finacial side. Having a puppy already and a baby on the way AND moving to a new location is sure to have a huge financial drain. Are you prepared for another debt? An emergancy that may occur? I say this because I find it hard enough some days to stay on top of my pets needs, never mind my own or if I had one, a child. Granted I have a *few* more then you, but kids are SO expensive!!! Are you able to handle another dependant at this time?

If so , Good luck finding the kitten that fits your heart!

gotalonglildoggie
02-25-2004, 08:14 PM
and lets see......

leslie flenner
02-25-2004, 08:21 PM
When you do decide to adopt, don't adopt from a pet store unless it's one that has a shelter/rescue group that brings in adoptables on weekends. Kittens sold in pet stores behind those glass windows (and puppies) are from kitten mills and you don't want to give them buisness at all.
Recent bad news in my area is that a company called Woof & Co. has already opened 2 stores in local malls and plans on opening 6 more- all pets there up for adoption are supplied from mills. There is obviously outrage here about this company and the whole topic!
Curious- how did your husband acquire 2 wolves?

gotalonglildoggie
02-27-2004, 02:41 AM
Sorry I didn't answer sooner!!!

Well my husband said that he started calling around to different wolf breeders and he bought them as little pups. Then he went through a special training class and trained them. The were legal though because they were 99% malamute.

Of course he had the wolves before I met him and gave them away before I met him also, so I have never seen them or anything. Only in pictures.

He said he would like another one some day, but I don't really go for that sort of thing. I'd rather stick to long lil' doggies!! LOL! (and kitties!!!!)

sirrahved
02-27-2004, 07:54 AM
lol I get it now! You've got a longgggg li'l doggie! I'm slow...

Cataholic
02-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Like YLL, I, too, have a 'kitten'. His name is Monte, and he is a TERROR. I cannot wait for him to grow up, and lose that kitten energy. I have always loved felines...and I tolerate the kittenhood, cause I know it is necessary to become cats. But, I would adopt a 'mature' kitty, or a 9-12 month old any day over a 'kitten' (meaning 6 months or younger).

Monte causes more havoc in my house then the other six combined. We don't sleep, we can't eat, we can't move our feet while sitting on the couch, etc. We have broken things everywhere. Pictures mysteriously fall off the counter, off the wall, the curtains fall down, the shower curtain 'leaks', no door or space can be safely closed until de-Monte'd.

I love him. He is a precious boy. BUT, he is as bad as they come.

gotalonglildoggie
02-27-2004, 01:00 PM
LOL!!!!! It seems a lot of people don't get my username right away!!!! I always think it's hillarious when they finally do get it!!!!
:D :D :D

Denyce
02-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Hey There Gotalong....sorry I didn't welcome you sooner. I just saw this thread and found it quite amusing. Glad you seem to have a good sense of humor...but then you are from Ohio...the land of the tree fruits..;) ;) You know....the Buckeyes? Nittany Lion here...:D :D

While you are looking for just the perfect kitten...and yes..they are all perfect but some more so than others...keep in mind certain facts. Calico's and Tortoiseshells have 'tude. We call it tortietude. It expresses it's self in oohhhh so many ways..but it is there. I have had 2 and at times they have both been difficult. Now that doesn't mean I wouldn't have still wanted them in my life.....oooohhhh nooooo...I love my little brats...but they can be a bit more difficult at times. I have also found that the orangies I have had have been a bit brattier and neurotic. I have had 3 of those. In my limited experience..and I say that because I have only had cats in my life for about 22 years...that the gray/brown color variations seem to be the most emotionally stable. :eek: :D

Of course I just love them all with all their quirks. I am probably going to be blasted for my above comments but that is ok ;)

Also....have you thought about getting TWO kittens at the same time? I have always found that getting 2 is easier than one because they don't get as bored. Yes I know you will have your pup...but cats play differently with dogs than they do other cats. When I had just one kitten it found that playing Tarzan on the curtains was a good time waster...but when I had two they tended to wrestle and play with each other rather than the furniture.

It is just a thought.

Good luck..should be kitten time soon...and Welcome to the crazy pet talk forum...there are a lot of good people here. Some annoying ones...some that seem to have experience absolutely everything that anyone else has experienced...some who promise many things and then never follow through...and some like me that just don't post as much as others but love to get my oh so humble opinion in once in a while. Basically...a community like any other:D :rolleyes: :cool:

Denyce

2kitties
02-27-2004, 03:00 PM
My Rocky has some of the 'tude Denyce talked about. And, I have to say, he chose me. He walked up to me, climbed my shirt and stuck his paw up my nose- claws and all.

Sometimes, we don't get to do the choosing;)

Twink
02-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
My Rocky has some of the 'tude Denyce talked about. And, I have to say, he chose me. He walked up to me, climbed my shirt and stuck his paw up my nose- claws and all.

Sometimes, we don't get to do the choosing;)

*giggle*

So . . . he had you "hooked" from the first moment, huh? ;)

gotalonglildoggie
02-28-2004, 04:43 AM
Ha Ha!! OUCH!!!!

I would loooooooove to one day have two kittys, but we are just going to stick with one for now. Drake is so small our kitty will probably think he's a kitty too!! LOL!!! For the majority of my life we had two cats though and you are right, they do play so much differently than with dogs. I remember how they used to run around the house playing tag!!! My husband's mother has a cat though (my cat-in-law) and Drake and her just loooooove to chase each other and wrestle around. They are both very gentle though. Usually she pins him to the floor and sits on him.

Oh I already know what colors Im looking for mostly. The two cats I had growing up were both a dark grey color and I would love to get another one like that. I also like the variations of greys and whites together. Or grey and black (and white). I am also greatly fond of black and white cats because they just have major attitudes!! For some reason the darker colored cats seem to be more 'opinionated' than some of the others. That is one thing I have always loved!! If they don't like something, they will tell you off for it!!! LOL!!!!

catnapper
02-28-2004, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Denyce
I have also found that the orangies I have had have been a bit brattier and neurotic. I have had 3 of those. In my limited experience..and I say that because I have only had cats in my life for about 22 years...that the gray/brown color variations seem to be the most emotionally stable. :eek: :D

Of course I just love them all with all their quirks. I am probably going to be blasted for my above comments but that is ok ;)

Oh Denyce (Here comes the Blast) How dare you tell me that my darling ornagie is an emotionally unstable kitty?

lol.

Just Kidding! Couldn't refuse that one!:D :D :D
Allen is a nutcase, but a very mellow and affectionate nutcase. He takes care of his emotionally stable grey "brother" Pouncer very well and the two guys love each other.:D Too funny!

Oh, which one of my kitties is neurotically chasing shadows right now? Yup, the emotionally stable one! :D

Gotalong, my two guys chase each other like idiots. I don't know who intitiates it, but they go tearing through the house. On one lap, Allen will be chasing Pouncer, on the next, its Pouncer after Allen. All the dog knows is that they are leaving her alone, which (to her) is the best thing of all!

Denyce
02-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Catnapper

*LOL* Well sometimes I think my bratty Brianna who is the orange redhead is just cleverer than all the rest of them put together. But she is SUCH a brat! She loves to wait until one of the other cats is sitting on the back of the sofa watching the birds and everything is quiet...then she charges the sofa from across the room like a white rhino with her hair all fluffed out and just squalling. The usual victim is Katiebug the tuxedo tortie who has a scream twice as loud as her size which she uses at full volume as she runs off across the room. And there Brianna sits just soooo contented and proud of herself. Such a happy smiling smirk on her little kitty face she gets. :rolleyes: And then she will just walk off...cause she didn't really want to sit on the sofa she just wanted to scare the crap out of Katie.:D

Denyce

gotalonglildoggie
02-28-2004, 11:21 PM
Ha Ha! That is tooooooooo funny Denyce!! :D :D :D