PDA

View Full Version : Please help me to match my friend with a dog...

Tonya
02-21-2004, 03:39 PM
My friend called me for help finding a dog. She grew up with labs, but isn't super dog experienced. I think her parents mainly took care of the dogs.

She wants a small house dog, who isn't to yappy, and is good with kids. Not to be mean, but her children are hellians, so I talked her out of a small small dog. I'm thinking a Schnauzer might be a good match. They're small enough to please her, but not to frail for the kids. Any suggestions?

DogLover9501
02-21-2004, 03:43 PM
:eek: Doesnt matter how big the dog is to kids!!!

I dont understand some kids, some kids would kill an animal if you left them alone with one.:mad:

Anyway, my mothers friend Jenny got a doberman, too big for the kids to bother?......wrong:rolleyes: The kids would jump on him and try to ride him like a horse, smack him, kick him, Im sure your friends kids arent THIS bad, because those kids are horrible!! :mad: :mad: :mad: They had to give the dobie away

aly
02-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Some Schnauzers might be okay for that, but they generally don't jump out at me as a family dog. They are typical terriers and tend to be hard headed. They also like to chase and nip.

I really think instead of picking a breed, she should visit a shelter and judge on an individual basis. Or go through a rescue where the dogs are in foster homes and she can learn even more about the individual dog's behavior.

Tonya
02-21-2004, 04:08 PM
She is going through all the pounds right now. I gave her the petfinder address also. I'm trying to talk her into a boxer. I think those are awesome family dogs. Her kids aren't totally horrible, but I could imagine them running and tripping over a small dog.

I didn't realize how unexperienced she is. She was asking me questions like "What is a doberman pincher? What is a boxer?" I guess I'm a dog geek, cause I couldn't imagine not knowing what those are.

I'm also trying to talk her into getting an adult dog. That way it's not so small and vulnerable, and she'll know the temprament a bit more.

cali
02-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Schnauzer

no. a Schnauzer is a horrable dog for an inexperienced person, I was just reading a book storys from 2 dog trainers, one of there storys was about an inexperince couple getting 2 Schnauzers and they ended up finding a new home for them because they are far to difficult to handle for an inexperienced dog person. this person needs a sturdy, easy to handle, smart dog, who is not known for challanging their masters regularly lol

Tonya
02-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Thank you! I'm glad that I asked!

mugsy
02-21-2004, 05:07 PM
My suggestion is for her to visit some obedience classes and study what breed might work. If her kids are really hellians, perhaps a dog at this point might not be a good idea. I would hate to see a dog picked on by kids...it happens too often and the dog either gets put down because it nips one of the kids in self defense or ends up dumped at a shelter.

I'm sorry, I don't want to be rude, but, the fact that she is not dog saavy AND she has kids that might tease it to death, sends up red flags all over the place.

K9soul
02-21-2004, 05:12 PM
A schnauzer is the first and only dog to have ever bitten me. I was young and at a sitters place. He was laying in his bed and looking at me and I just reached out to pet him and he bit my hand. I can't remember if I was looking into his eyes or not, I wouldn't have realized then that that is a show of aggression. He was a miniature I believe. He drew some blood but it was not a serious bite. I hid it and never told anyone because I was afraid it would cause the dog to get put to sleep.

Not that all schnauzers are biters or anything but I do think they tend to be territorial. He was always really sweet to me before and after that time, I think for some reason my reaching out to him while he was in his bed brought a territorial snap out of him.

Might not be typical at all of the breed though. I remember my best friend's sister had a black and white sheltie that for some reason, just hated me :(. It was a shocker because I've never had a dog just take a dislike to me personally. She was fine with anyone else but they had to put her in another room when I came over. They had two other shelties who loved me. I just never did figure out why that little female disliked me so.

Kfamr
02-21-2004, 05:29 PM
For an unexperience person, not knowing which breed is for her -- the pound is the BEST (and I wish only) way to go.

You can't just go there once and say there were no dogs there that clicked. You have to go there weekly, or almost 3 times a week. They're constantly getting new dogs in, and there's constantly a mixture of breeds and number of dogs they have in.

One day, there's sure to be one in there that would 'click' I know because I still go every week and I always find one or two whom I "click" with.

Good luck!

Amber
02-21-2004, 05:43 PM
I have a schnauzer mix, and katie was our first dog, we were inexpierienced. Schnauzers are wonderful. no doubt about it. easy to train. They adore kids, and are protective of there homes. As long as she reads up, and learns about the schnauzer breed, it will be perfect. you gotta start somewhere, any dog might be hard to handle if your inexpirenced. noot only schnauzers

cali
02-21-2004, 10:40 PM
amber, katie is a mix though not a pure. a real full blood schnauzer is what we are talking about when we say they are not good for inexperienced dog people.

shais_mom
02-21-2004, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't go for a schnauzer choice either. All the ones I have been around haven't been good with kids.
I would have to say that the pound would be the best place but I also echo what Molly said. Sounds similiar to a co- worker of mine who told me that she wasn't much of a dog person but she had 2.:rolleyes: But your friend seems willing to learn tho. That is a good sign! :)
Good luck

Tonya
02-22-2004, 12:49 AM
Well I took work off next Friday. Jessica, her kids, and I are going to go around to all the shelters and rescues. Wish us luck! (Don't be suprised if I come home with one too!) :p

Tonya
02-22-2004, 12:59 AM
I have to add, there is this breeder in Modesto. Over the past few years, I constantly see her "Cockapoo" ads. It makes me sick that she's cross breeding two dogs and making her own breed. Anyways, Jessica called me and goes "What's a cockapoo? Is that a good breed?"

BitsyNaceyDog
02-22-2004, 07:45 AM
I also don't recommend a schnauzer, I have had experience with a giant schnauzer that was bitty. Also small schnauzers are very hard headed. I wish I could recommend a min pin they are such an easy bread, however can play rough and if worked up may bite. My pomeranian is great with kids, however is a very small dog which requires a lot of grooming. If your friend doesn't mind the grooming and would keep up with it, I would recommend a German Spitz (not a regular Spitz, they a very, very bitty). A german spitz is like a 20 lb. pomeranian, and they have a great dispossession. My #1 recommendation would be a pembroke welsh corgi (cardigans are great too, but they have a tail that might to a kid look fun to pull). Corgis aren't too small, don't need too much grooming, and are easy going and great with kids. They are also not too hard to train. I think they are the perfect dog for children.

ChiRen
02-22-2004, 08:46 AM
My friend and her family have had Miniature Schnauzers since as long as I can remember. I've only ever met one of them, named Billy.
He was an absolute sweetheart. He never appeared nippy or anything like that and was great with their neighbors younger kids. However, that is one dog out of a million.
What I mean is, don't rule out a certain breed just because you've heard "bad things" about it. There is always that one exception. I'd have to agree with what other people have said -- meet the dogs yourself and decide based on the dogs alone, not their breed.
Good luck to your friend!!

Tonya
02-22-2004, 12:49 PM
Here are two of the dogs that we're going to look at, Whatcha think?

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=1990586&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=4038fac779035b3c-app5&display=&preview=1&row=25&tmpl=

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2577373&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=4038fb0c2924613e-app2&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=

Tonya
02-22-2004, 12:52 PM
(I'm rooting for Tiger, BTW!)

mugsy
02-22-2004, 03:39 PM
Tonya, I honestly hopes that she waits...both of the dogs are adorable, but, the woman's kids scare me for the dog's sake....I still urge her to wait for awhile and get more info about dogs and make her kids responsible. Having been involved with different rescue people over the last couple of years, I have learned to be alert to the warning signs and there are warning signs all over this situation. I am talking to a dear friend now who is president of a humane society in MN and she said the same thing I did. I know I am harping, but, I am concerned for the dog.

Tonya
03-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Just thought I'd let you all know that I talked my friend into waiting. Although everyone is a first time dog owner at one time in life, she still has alot to learn. Her breed of choice is still a minpin. I've convinced her that she really really needs to wait and spend some time with minpins. They might be cute as heck, but I don't think that's a good dog for her family at all.

lv4dogs
03-03-2004, 08:19 AM
Thats good, now just get her to get out there to shelters, classes, vets etc.. to learn more about breeds, proper care & nutrition of dogs. Have her read about them in book, on the internet & even join here.
If shes serious about getting a dog she should be ready in no time. Just keep her clear from a min oin or any really tiny breed like that.

I understand that some are concerned about her kids & i realize that some kids can be terrible to pets, but you say that are not too bad so i think thats allright, heck a dog might even teach the kids how to properly care for it & sometimes they can even calm a kid down too. I rough house with my dogs & so do my neices/neohews/neighbor & friends kids, & my dogs love it.
good luck to your friend!

DogLover9501
03-03-2004, 01:04 PM
Im glad you talked her into waiting.

About the boxer, why did you suggest that?

Well I've learned about them for 2 years, while waiting for my parents to give in lol, they love kids, the louder the better but her kids don't seem fit to own any dog, and boxers are very lovable--people dogs, but those kids may give it the wrong idea about people lol well especially kids, if theyre anything like the kids I know.

Tonya
03-03-2004, 07:09 PM
Her kids aren't to horrible. I wouldn't imagine them torturing a dog or anything like that. She has a 4 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. They are just really hyper, so I imagine them running and accidently tripping or stepping on the dog.

stacwase
03-05-2004, 06:09 PM
How about a Corgi or Corgi mix? They're awesome dogs.

Tonya
03-05-2004, 06:18 PM
I don't know much about corgis. They seem sturdy enough yet small enough to meet her wants and needs. I'll have to read up on them.