PDA

View Full Version : I think Splice is declawed...

Tonya
02-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Remember how I said Splice's feetsies were all tore up from walking. Well you can't see the claws on some of the toes at all, and the rest are worn down to almost nothing. I assumed that she'd just worn them down.

Well Mike just told me that the vet mumbled "Looks like a bad declaw job." Mike being Mike, he didn't ask the vet to elaborate. I just called over there, but the vet already went home. I'll have to call back Monday to see what he was talking about.

rg_girlca
02-20-2004, 08:08 PM
OHHHHHHH POOR BABY. I just shivered when I read that the vet said, "Looks like a bad declaw job." Does it seem to bother her at all? Please let us know what the vet says.

Tonya
02-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Well, her Mom (see other thread) says that she isn't declawed. So maybe he said it sarcastically. I'm anxious to know. She was walking around a construction site, so there could have been lots of stuff that would wear her paws down. I couldn't imagine it possible to create a bad declaw job. It's black and white...they amputate the claws. So I wouldn't think that some claws would be visible in a "bad declaw job"

CatDad
02-20-2004, 08:37 PM
I know very little about declawing, only what I have read. So no help from me on that front.

When you talk to the vet let us know what he said, I am interested.

leslie flenner
02-20-2004, 11:20 PM
As you prob. already know, it's not just the claws that are surgically removed, it's the first digit of the toe. The bone can grow back and most often does which is one of many reasons it's been outlawed and where not outlawed, some vets just refuse to do it (except those in for the money)...
A friend of mine had a declawed cat that this happened to, she was leaving spots of blood everywhere she walked/limped where the toe was growing back and had to go back into surgery at age 13! Too old for invasive surgery but it had to be done.
When they are declawed, it's not easy to know if enough has been removed to prevent regrowth. It's pretty much hit or miss from what I understand...