PDA

View Full Version : Friend wants to breed her dogs...

*LabLoverKEB*
02-20-2004, 06:52 PM
I have a friend who has a Yellow Lab Male, and a Basset Hound female (puppy), and she wants to breed them. She thinks that it's good for a female to have at least on litter before getting spayed. She says she wants to breed her Lab at least 4 times.:eek: How do I talk her out of breeding her dogs?

Help!:confused:

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
02-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Take her to a local shelter and show her all the homeless dogs. Then see what she says.

binka_nugget
02-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Show her this:

http://www.spotsociety.org/fatedog.html

It's bound to change anyone's mind about breeding.

ChiRen
02-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Yes, please do show her the link Ashley posted.
That one makes me cry everytime. :(:(

lute
02-20-2004, 09:18 PM
that is so sad:( both about Albert and that she wants to breed her dogs.....i think she just wants puppies. please try watever you can to stop her!
good luck

tutebugs
02-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by *LabLoverKEB*
I have a friend who has a Yellow Lab Male, and a Basset Hound female (puppy), and she wants to breed them.

You can do that??

:confused:

guster girl
02-20-2004, 09:48 PM
She thinks that it's good for a female to have at least on litter before getting spayed!

Ask her where her research has come from in that she knows it's good for a dog to have one litter before she's spayed? I've always been curious why people say that. If she just wants puppies, I'm sure she could foster a pregnant dog and her puppies. I'm sure she could find a dog or puppies to fit her desire to have puppies. But, why in the world would you want to put a basset hound and a lab together?! That just sounds ugly as he**!!

Shelteez2
02-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Ahhhh a "bassador"..... they're actually more common than one would think.

Tell her there are so many lab crosses in shelters. Ask what would make hers any different.

There are actually a lot of basset crosses too....

In my local shelter there is a basset GSD cross
http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/adoption_details.asp?id=7685&src=search

EssTer
02-21-2004, 04:29 AM
OMG... what is he thinking about... grrr.... utīs really sad....I hope sheīll change her mind... I really really hope...

You should show her this link, which Binka gave...Itīs really sad :( :(

DogLover9501
02-21-2004, 08:46 AM
Ahhh :( That link is so sad!

My mother also said that she'd like our female to have a litter :rolleyes:, and I got piddle neutered with my own money :p so there was no male for her to breed with lol, so she shortly after got spayed.

K9soul
02-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Guster, be careful what you say :p. There is a PT member who has a lab and basset cross, Lucy (katienoonan's pup) and she's very cute, but of course that is absolutely no reason to deliberately breed them. I don't have much to add to what was already well said as far as the breeding.. I truly hope and pray you are able to convince your friend otherwise.

This is Lucy, a lab/basset cross. Hopefully katienoonan doesn't mind me reposting her pic!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/p1b43bd0b3516b552529c2808d880e6c6/f9df0260.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid101/pd0b441d76ca0fae6baad540723a41ef7/f9df027c.jpg

I stole the pictures from her introductory thread here: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42322&perpage=15&pagenumber=1 :)

guster girl
02-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by K9soul
Guster, be careful what you say :p. There is a PT member who has a lab and basset cross, Lucy (katienoonan's pup) and she's very cute

Hey, my apologies, but it sounded like an unappealing mix. I hope it didn't offend anyone!

K9soul
02-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Some mixes do sound weird and until you see one you never know I guess! Of course I didn't mean to sound scolding and meant it in a lighthearted way :)

I do think Lucy is a cutie though!

*LabLoverKEB*
02-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks everyone!

But no, she's not goig to breed her Lab and her Basset together. At least she hopes they don't. Thanks again, everyone.
:( :(

dappledoxie
02-21-2004, 07:46 PM
I agree with everyone else, oh and katienoonans doggie is actually very cute, I am always attracted to dogs with short legs, hehe. My dad has an aussie/doxie cross he resuced, very cute dog!

lizbud
02-21-2004, 07:56 PM
Thanks everyone!

But no, she's not goig to breed her Lab and her Basset together. At least she hopes they don't. Thanks again, everyone.
:( :(

Your friend will have to do more than "hope" they don't
breed. She should get one of them (or both) neutered.:)
Thanks for trying with your friend.:)

*LabLoverKEB*
02-23-2004, 09:52 PM
Her exact words, "I will breed"

*cries* nothing will stop her.

HELP!

Tweety_Pie
02-23-2004, 10:02 PM
TELL HER ABOUT BACKYARD BREEDING AND PUPPY MILLS!

*LabLoverKEB*
02-23-2004, 10:32 PM
Forget it guys, it's no use, Thanks for all your help. She's going to breed them, no matter what I tell her. I just talked to her online, and she got really pissed at me. She's going to breed them. She making a HORRIBLE choice. And I very mad at her for it.

*Cries*:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

dappledoxie
02-23-2004, 10:34 PM
I am sorry to hear that, I know how some people can be. I feel sad too, very sad.... :(

wolfsoul
02-23-2004, 10:52 PM
Try telling her about the high risk of cancer and infection her female will have. Tell her that the longer she stays unspayed, the more likey she'll die of cancer. Make it sound absolutely worse than it actually is. Tell her that her male will get cancer as well. Make sure she knows or atleast thinks that her dogs' health will be terrible.

Twisterdog
02-23-2004, 11:05 PM
Who posted the "For the Potential Novice Breeder" article? That was a GREAT article! I have a copy, I can post it, but I thought whoever originally posted it might want to.

Lixx
02-24-2004, 04:56 PM
That's awful! Atleast you tried. Too bad this isn't something you can get the humane sciety to deal with - take them away from her. Does she plan on keeping all the puppies? She should have to. It's her 'problem' and she should have to live with them.

wolfie
02-24-2004, 06:00 PM
I'm sorry! It must be really frustrating. :( At least you tried all you could to talk her out of it. :(