PDA

View Full Version : question for you groomers

veegan
02-20-2004, 02:33 PM
I was just wondering, are there any scissors you guys recommend for trimming the hair between dog's toes? I just trimmed Brock's today with regular scissors and of course it took forever, and he's pretty tickleish down there.. and its not as neat Im sure as special scissors could make it, but I have no idea what kind of scissors would work best. any suggestions? thanks!

micki76
02-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Between the toes, I always used my clippers. I was too afraid that I would slice open a pad or cut the tissue between the toes. All it takes is one wrong move by either the groomer or the dog.

jenluckenbach
02-20-2004, 02:39 PM
We use a clipper with a short blabe. Fast and safe!

veegan
02-20-2004, 02:45 PM
clippers? can you be more specific please? lol are we talking electric? pictures would be great too. :D I know nothing about grooming tools. lol thanks again :)

jenluckenbach
02-20-2004, 03:01 PM
HEE HEE.......sorry.

Yes electric pet clippers with detachable blades. I am terrible with pictures, but I'll find you a link and post it:

http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2777&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=0&iSubCat=0&iSubSubCat=0&iProductID=2777&AS=1

micki76
02-20-2004, 03:05 PM
The professional ones are very expensive and so are the blades, but you can get cheaper ones at Walmart and such. They are usually for human hair clipping, but can be used for doing the "clean up" on dogs, too. Clipping, especially on the feet is an art (corny, I know) and can be very difficult, if you've never used clippers before. I suggest taking her to a groomer and asking then if they will do it and show you how.

veegan
02-20-2004, 03:10 PM
rock on. :D we have electric clippers at work, I'll just have to check and see which size blade we have. Its sugical, I think its 40 or 50.

jenluckenbach
02-20-2004, 03:13 PM
a 40 blade is OK on pads UNLESS the feet are sensitive. It can very easily cut the folded skin of the foot webbing. A safer size is a #10 blade. If you have access to a set of clippers, buying a blade would be under a $20 investment.

veegan
02-20-2004, 03:16 PM
oh okay, sounds good, thanks!

Shelteez2
02-20-2004, 10:28 PM
At work we use clippers with anywhere from a #15 blade to a #40 blade to clip the hair between the pads. We either use the regular clippers or we use arco's.

http://www.valleyvet.com/catalog_images/25023A.jpg

Then to trim the hair on the toes we brush it up with a slicker brush and then use thinning shears to take off that extra hair.

http://www.imagesupply.net/astro/images/GO-thinner.jpg

cali
02-20-2004, 11:21 PM
I cut use human hair cutting scissors for my doggies feet. never had a problem...:confused:

Shelteez2
02-20-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by cali
I cut use human hair cutting scissors for my doggies feet. never had a problem...:confused:

I used to as well, before I started working at a grooming shop. Now I do it the way I mentioned because I'm lazy....LOL